How much are ponchos at WDW?

BensWife

DIS Veteran
We have been on a look out for ponchos, but here in Colorado, it hardly rains at all anymore! We are in drought conditions in southern Colorado, so finding a poncho here is hard. None at the dollar store or even at Walmart. I guess we can try a camping/sporting store, but if they are the same price as the ones in WDW, I'd rather have a cute WDW one. And, it is too late to order one as we leave in 6 days so it wouldn't get here in time. Thanks for the info!

We have been on a look out for ponchos, but here in Colorado, it hardly rains at all anymore! We are in drought conditions in southern Colorado, so finding a poncho here is hard. None at the dollar store or even at Walmart. I guess we can try a camping/sporting store, but if they are the same price as the ones in WDW, I'd rather have a cute WDW one. And, it is too late to order one as we leave in 6 days so it wouldn't get here in time. Thanks for the info!

They are around $8.50. We bought three for everyone in our group and the total was $26 and some change I think.

Luckily we haven't needed ponchos for a while but I remember hearing once that if you buy the ponchos at Disney and they rip/tear while you are there, they will replace it for free. If that is true, then it is probably worth it to buy them there.

The first time we bought ponchos at Disney, they were still the solid yellow ones with a Disney character on. Each of the hotel rooms had them available and if you took them, it was added to your room charge. We still have them and they're in great condition.
Several years ago we were at Disney and had forgotten to pack our ponchos and we got into some seriously hard rain -- a downpour. The carts were everywhere selling them. We bought ours (now the clear plastic ones) in the walkway at Epcot, right outside Mouse Gear.
To me they're worth the price. We've seen people who bought theirs at some inexpensive price and they were torn, etc. Often saw them discarded in trash cans later in the day.
We also saw people wearing ponchos with the Universal logo and they seemed well made too.
;)

The first time we bought ponchos at Disney, they were still the solid yellow ones with a Disney character on. Each of the hotel rooms had them available and if you took them, it was added to your room charge. We still have them and they're in great condition.
Several years ago we were at Disney and had forgotten to pack our ponchos and we got into some seriously hard rain -- a downpour. The carts were everywhere selling them. We bought ours (now the clear plastic ones) in the walkway at Epcot, right outside Mouse Gear.
To me they're worth the price. We've seen people who bought theirs at some inexpensive price and they were torn, etc. Often saw them discarded in trash cans later in the day.
We also saw people wearing ponchos with the Universal logo and they seemed well made too.
;)

I wonder what the new clear ones are like? I, too, still have my yellow Mickey poncho that I bought over a decade ago. Plus a beige one with safari Mickey I bought in AK. They go with me every trip anywhere I think I might be caught in the rain. Are the new ones as durable? If so, they are a good investment.

I can attest to the "Disney replacing them" theory. We bought some at WDW in 2008 and mine ripped in 2011 (we were there during the NONSTOP rain weekend in October so they got plenty of use!). DH went up to buy me a new one in one of the shops and just happened to mention to the CM that it had lasted 3 years but finally bit the dust. They asked if I had thrown it away yet and I thankfully still had it on. They swapped it out and said that once you purchase one it can be replaced if damaged. We were very glad because two days later, DH's poncho got caught on a chair and tore (we promise we weren't trying to destroy them, we just had to wear them constantly!). Again, they replaced it no problem. I think their ponchos are really good quality and a fair price considering that they will replace them. You can buy them pretty much anywhere on property.

I bought several on Amazon for about $1.25 each (no clue on quality as we haven't used them yet- purchased for our FL trip next month). I've seen other people post that the dollar stores in Orlando sell them as well.

Did you check Walgreens? They have really cheapie ones, but they did the trick for the last TWO trips we took when we got soaked with rain.

Warning for the ones sold at dollar tree stores..many people recommended them so I drove out of my way to a DT store to buy. We had a downpour at Epcot, turned out the ponchos had no sleeves. Literally was like a vest with a hood! So ridiculous looking and ineffectual we trashed them and ought the park ones, it suddenly stopped raining! Lol. Was annoyed at wasting the money but now we have them for return trips!!! They look to be about 100X the dollar store quality

I have a set of clear ones--have no idea what they cost anymore--and I can say, they have lasted through several trips and going strong. Last two tips, it rained every single day too. Worth whatever I paid. Previously, I had bought a couple of dollar store ones for everyone. One use and they were done. Ours had sleeves. Works if it rains one day out of the trip, but not if it rains consistently.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

The clear ones are pretty sturdy. We spent a whole day wearing them last trip (hurricane) and all of ours did really well.

Are the clear ones like 'sandwich baggie' clear plastic or more of a frosty vinyl?

Are the clear ones like 'sandwich baggie' clear plastic or more of a frosty vinyl?

Frosty vinyl... We just bought two on Wednesday since I forgot ours in the room, and wasn't about to go back to get them. And yes, adult ones are $8.50/each.

My poncho's have to be about 7 years old now. They are kept in our back pack that we use just for WDW. Very sturdy - and a lot longer than the cheap ones - so your rear end doesn't get dripped on!!!!

Janis

we have the clear ones that we have used for several years and are still like new

I bought these for the ones that don't have one for our upcoming Dec trip... they were 1.99 each at the grocery store

We bought the clear ones years ago for MVSCP it rained all night. we still have them and bring them every trip. So it was will worth the money, they seem to have held up pretty well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter