How much are passport photos?

hAm53

hi!!!
Here's a simple one:
Is there a set price for passport photos? Or is it up to the specific store?
Also, can you simply take your own photo with a digital camera, or does your pic need to be from one of the drug store/photo places?

Walgreens or anywhere is good. Walgreens does them for 9.99 or something like that. Check your local Walgreens for sure

I just got a passport picture today at the local AAA. If you are a AAA member it is $6.42. Super Walmart stores charge $10.00...at least in North Carolina and Virginia. I am not sure if you can use a digital camera to take the pictures on your own.

You can do it yourself at home with a digital camera and inkjet printer.

They scan them in now.

I did that and saved all those photo fees.

Okay..I'll jump in here as I do work as a passport agent. Please make sure if you take your own photo that it meets the size and head / shoulder shot criteria. Two photos need to go in with your application.

Any portrait studio can snap these i.e JcPenny's or even a local photographer. Walmarts, Walgreens etc do them also and the photographer normally knows what is needed. Normally pictures won't run more than the $15.00 mark. Please be aware also its a wise idea to wear a shirt with a collar or something that gives a professional appearance. If you end up using your passport to travel to some countries you may be denied entrance based on this picture. IE a low cut shirt disappears when its scanned in. You will not likely enter a muslim country on that. (one example) You're basically a representative of this country when you're travelling on a passport.

Please make sure you also allow a 6-8 week time frame to get them back. Depending on what regional hub they are sent to it can take some time to get it back. I think mine took about 5 weeks out of the New Orleans issuance agency.

Good luck :) :flower1:

I just wanted to second the....check your size of photos etc if you take your own and make sure you know just what they are wanting before you do it..they are very particular on how everything looks and won't allow photos that are to small or two big....including size of head...At the passport office they have a template that they check every photo for proper size. Also take a look at the regulation of what you can and can't wear. Not that it would be a problem this time of year (well I guess it depends on where you live)...but one of my girls and myself wore tank tops when we got our photos done....the photographer didn't say anything and went ahead and took our photos...but once we took them to the passport office...they were rejected and we had to run home change...go back the photographers and have them redone then turn back around and head back to the passport office. Of course the gal at the office did say she could go ahead and send them just like they were...but if they were rejected after they were sent...we would still have to pay...and have to repay when we had them redone.

If you will go to http://iafdb.travel.state.gov/ and put in your Zip code or City and State, it will show locations where you can apply for a passport near you. You also can specify additional criteria such as photo on site or distances from you if you wish. Once the locations are listed you can click on the specific location to see what services are offered at that location and the hours that applications are accepted.

Many post offices and county offices have a photo service on site that charges about $10.00. This lets you handle everything with one visit.

Seconding that. A passport agent will accept whatever picure you give them however DOS (state) is the final say on whether you get your passport or not. Generally I'll advise a applicant the same thing if I see a tank top or low cut shirt. We won't however get into an argument over it and will send it in knowing darn well it won't be processed. Please use commone sense and listen to what the acceptance agent tells you. They are there to help get you your passport, not make life difficult. It can take weeks for even a rejection to come back. Delay delay delay.

There are all sorts of other complications that can come up during the application process that everyone needs to be aware of. These issues may pertain to some of the parents on these boards.

If you're a single parent please be aware that you will need the consent in writing of the former spouse to obtain a passport to take a child out of country. Obtain a form from your local acceptance agency. This law prevents a parent from skipping country with a child and child abduction cases. It also can be a pain in the rear end for a lot of folks. Talk to your local agent if your case involves not having a clue where that spouse is these days. I deal with military spouses all the time that have husbands deployed and they're trying to get overseas to see them while they're on R&R in a different country. General power of attorneys that give them all legal rights don't even work unless there is a specific line stating he/she gives there spouse legal authority to obtain a passport. Believe it or we do get ahold of the spouse through there command. If you're military you might keep in mind adding this if you end up deploying. Saves a lot tears for your spouse.

Also if you owe back child support and are applying for a passport be aware you will not be issued a passport. All applications are run through state checks. Until that child support is payed and the system updates(which can take awhile also) they cannot issue.

Last major issue off hand I can think of right now. If you have had a passport and have misplaced lost it (and it would still be current) be aware you are going to have to fill out a form giving a detailed summary of what you believed happened to it. Not just "I lost it". They'll want to know as many details as to where it might have been lost, the circumstance around it, so on and so forth. Detailed records of every passport issued are kept on file. The main concern here is a valid passport falling into the hands of someone who would like to do people in this country harm.

Hope this helps or heads off potential headaches.

Thanks anyone! I think there's too many things that can not turn out perfect if we take them ourselves. But since Costco seems to be the cheapest, we'll be heading there.
The tip about the collared shirt make sense. I hadn't thought of that.
Thanks again!

DD and I had ours taken at AAA and it was only 6.42 for the two of us. Passports came back in three weeks.

Another thing to look for when taking your own picture (along with what clothes to wear, the size of the picture, the size of the head, etc) is the color of the background.

Be sure to read the regulations carefully to make sure your pictures meet ALL of the requirements.

anlashokna said:
If you're a single parent please be aware that you will need the consent in writing of the former spouse to obtain a passport to take a child out of country. Obtain a form from your local acceptance agency.

This form can be found at http://travel.state.gov/passport/get_minors.html Also, note it must be notarized for the absent parent.

The official passport site is http://travel.his.com/passport.

And I paid $16 for my photos. Guess I'll shop around next time. :rolleyes:

If you're a single parent please be aware that you will need the consent in writing of the former spouse to obtain a passport to take a child out of country. Obtain a form from your local acceptance agency
This goes for ANY parent taking a child to get their passport without the other parent being present.

Our AAA does passport photos for PLUS members for free. One set per person per year. Applies to the AAA member only and dependent children under 16 AND for any client who books a trip with us.

We also have the applications on hand. In our part of the country, our post office processes the applications which are right down the street from us. Okay, not really "right" down the street but a couple blocks. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter