How much a port upgrade will cost from a VGT rate

baddog576

Mouseketeer
I booked a VGT for the Jun 10 cruise for $3842 (2A2K). I'm wondering approx how much a port upgrade would cost if they are available.

From what I read they take your cat room price and take the difference of the new room (not sure if it's the current going rate) and then you pay around 1/3-1/2 of that to upgrade. Let me know if this is way off. Do they ever do free upgrades at the port if you ask like if it's a honeymoon, milestone birthday, etc...?

I'm assuming they will assign us the lowest cat Veranda room which right now is a 6A for $5042. If I want to upgrade (and it's avail) how do they determine the base price for upgrading? What I actually paid ($3842) or the going rate (6A $5042)?

So if we ask for a 4A will it be around $1000 to upgrade (from our VGT price) or around $350 (from 6A current price to 4A current price / 2).

Or can you even upgrade VGT rooms? I know they are highly restricted but I thought I read people upgrading them.

TIA

VGT paid $3842

6A $5042
4D $5492
5A $5492
4A $5772

Lately some folks who whave booked a VGT (on the Fantasy) have been getting assigned cat 4's, based on a recent thread on the subject. Of course, it is still all the luck of the draw.

Can't answer your question about port upgrades.

.edited to add: Which ship are you on...you should have your room assignment already...??

I'm on the Dream. I thought I would get assigned 12 days out which according to my ticker would be today. Nothing yet.

Lately some folks who whave booked a VGT (on the Fantasy) have been getting assigned cat 4's, based on a recent thread on the subject.

I saw that thread and that is encouraging to see people getting those nice cats. I'm crossing my fingers.

The price you paid for your cabin is not figured into the cost of the port upgrade. DCL has a price chart they go by to determine the upgrade cost, everyone pays the same upcharge at the port. The only thing to worry about would be what cabin cat. they would use to determine the cost for the ?GT.

My understanding is that the cost of the upgrade is based on how much you paid, not on the cost of your category (neither the booked category nor the upgraded category, if applicable).

My understanding is that the cost of the upgrade is based on how much you paid, not on the cost of your category (neither the booked category nor the upgraded category, if applicable).

The price paid for your original cabin doesn't factor into the price of the port upgrade cost. See my above post. Everyone pays the same upgrade price at the port, they have a chart they go by.

ex: If you paid $5000 for your cat. 6A and I paid $4000 for my cat. 6A and we both want to upgrade at the port to a cat. 4D. The supervisor will look at the chart for the price to go from a 6A to a 4D and let's say the chart says it's $400 to upgrade. If there are 2 cabins available and we both upgrade the cost is the same its just that I will get a better deal on the upgrade since my original cabin cost was cheaper.

Hope this example helps a bit.

This is not correct based on my experience with purchasing upgrades at the port. They look at the category you paid for, not the amount you paid. It doesn't matter whether you have a day one booking with 10% off or you booked at the highest price for your category--you still paid for that category.

OP, first do not assume you will get the lowest verandah category. There have been reports of people getting cat 4s with a VGT rate! Yes, it is possible to upgrade a VGT at the port. In that case, the use the lowest verandah category as what you booked. For example, if you booked an IGT and were assigned a 10B, wanted to upgrade to a verahdah...they would look at the chart for an 11C (lowest IGT) and quote you prices based on that, even though you were assigned a 10.

All you can do is wait to see what you are assigned. THen, when you get to the port, ask at the supervisor's desk and see what they quote you. Then decide whether it is worth the cost or whether you'd rather do something else with that money.

This is not correct based on my experience with purchasing upgrades at the port. They look at the category you paid for, not the amount you paid. It doesn't matter whether you have a day one booking with 10% off or you booked at the highest price for your category--you still paid for that category.

OP, first do not assume you will get the lowest verandah category. There have been reports of people getting cat 4s with a VGT rate! Yes, it is possible to upgrade a VGT at the port. In that case, the use the lowest verandah category as what you booked. For example, if you booked an IGT and were assigned a 10B, wanted to upgrade to a verahdah...they would look at the chart for an 11C (lowest IGT) and quote you prices based on that, even though you were assigned a 10.

All you can do is wait to see what you are assigned. THen, when you get to the port, ask at the supervisor's desk and see what they quote you. Then decide whether it is worth the cost or whether you'd rather do something else with that money.

Thanks! Sorry for the confusion - I confused "category booked" with "price paid."

Thanks for everyone's comments. I'm still waiting to see what we got (12 days from cruise now). Maybe I won't need to worry and I'll get a high cat VGT to begin with. :)

I could bre totally off base but I thought that GT rooms were not eligible for any type of upgrade.

If you read the fine print I think it says that you are not eligible for any tyope of upgrade. paid or otherwise.

That being said, as someone else mentioned, you could be assigne to almost any category. :3dglasses

I did 2 vgt rooms for the June 1, 14 days out. We got our assignment at 12 days in the afternoon (I was checking religiously and wasting time that probably had much better use). I was very surprised to see CONNECTING 4D rooms.

Good luck. I imagine you'll get something nice based on what others have shared.

I could bre totally off base but I thought that GT rooms were not eligible for any type of upgrade.

If you read the fine print I think it says that you are not eligible for any tyope of upgrade. paid or otherwise.

That being said, as someone else mentioned, you could be assigne to almost any category. :3dglasses

For a month or so, no one really knew. On the 5/5/12 cruise, they were selling upgrades to people with VGT bookings. Don't know if it happens all the time, but it happened then. There have never been reports of a IGT or OGT getting a complimentary upgrade.

I agree with what you said about the fine print...but it seems that at the port, DCL will be happy to take more dollars.

I did 2 vgt rooms for the June 1, 14 days out. We got our assignment at 12 days in the afternoon (I was checking religiously and wasting time that probably had much better use). I was very surprised to see CONNECTING 4D rooms.

Good luck. I imagine you'll get something nice based on what others have shared.

I have lost count how many times I have checked and im not sure why, there is just something about knowing your cabin cat and number. Today is 12 days out for me but I'm guessing since its the holdiay i won't get it til tomorrow sometime.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter