• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How many take out travel insurance?

I have annual insurance and have done for a few years now. Better to be safe than sorry.

I always take it out when I go to DLP - I have to as my DD's medical condition means that i'd be screwed if I didn't! I have the EHC to cover the fact that we can get access to medical treatment, but the kind that my daughter would need if something happened would never be covered.....saying that though I've never needed it for DLP! (Though bear in mind I did when we got stuck in traffic to fly to Germany, the plane left before we'd even got halfway down the motorway......)

hi, last time we went i just got a run of the mill cheapy insurence, but since then my son has developed epilespy... he is now 6 months under control.. but needless to say, i am stuck and confused at what insurence to get? who did you go through to get better "medical" travel insurence? thanks

I would never dream of travelling abroad without insurance. A couple of years back my daughter had a fall and literally "knocked herself senseless". The bill for an emergency doctor consulatation, an ambulance trip, plus onward trip to a bigger hospital and an overnight bed in the hospital was something close to £800. What was also made clear by our insurers was that if we didn't have the E111 card we would have had to pay that amount ourselves.

Such a simple accident outside our tent could have cost us way more than we could have afforded... don't know what we would have done because not sure we had that much credit left on the credit card and they didn't seem to appear to let people out of the hospital until their bill was paid.

Shopping around and it doesn't cost that much to insure your family, especially for short trips like DLP.

hi, last time we went i just got a run of the mill cheapy insurence, but since then my son has developed epilespy... he is now 6 months under control.. but needless to say, i am stuck and confused at what insurence to get? who did you go through to get better "medical" travel insurence? thanks

I use the Post Office, as their terms state that as long as your condition is under control (whether it be after an operation or continuing "illness") you will be covered. I would give them a ring and check with them as I've found it's the only one that was willing to cover her (she has severe sleep apnea and stops breathing, which means she can not have a general anesthetic as she will simply not wake up). She is under a consultant and awaiting a serious operation to cure this, but it also means that she will have to go into a top childrens hospital and there is a severe risk associated with this :sad1:) Her condition is stable, but I have to carry medical notes when abroad to explain in case anything happens to her.

Have a look, they are really reasonable too!!!!!!!

I have used Sainsbury's for my last couple of trips and used them again for the family policy I took out. I was able to do it all online which a lot of companies will not let you do for pre-existing conditions - you normally have to phone a help line and I hate phoning people so this was ideal for me! It also allowed me to choose if I wanted my conditions covered or not - I think it was £10 extra to have them covered.

If i'm only going to DLRP I don't bother as I drive, so no chance of lost baggage etc & TBH looking at the policies, the amount for single item would cover my camera/laptop. They are covered under my home insurance (away from home) & the excess is smaller. I have a EHC so I can get treatment if needed.

If I go anywhere else I do buy insurance & currently looking around for my NY trip

We use Colombus Direct as hubbie and I both take medication, not for anything serious, but if you don't declare it and need to claim it could be a problem. Lots of policies offer free kids cover, but always check it covers your needs.

If i'm only going to DLRP I don't bother as I drive, so no chance of lost baggage etc & TBH looking at the policies, the amount for single item would cover my camera/laptop. They are covered under my home insurance (away from home) & the excess is smaller. I have a EHC so I can get treatment if needed.

My friend used to say that...until she couldn't get onto the shuttle or the ferry two weeks ago. Lost her holiday (over £1,500) to Disney, the Christmas meal, the overnight hotel accommodation/fuel costs and all she got was a refund of the shuttle cost and a ticket for a free return journey. They didn't have travel insurance, so not only did they loose out a holiday, they also had a ruined Christams as they had no food (or even decorations up!). I think even if I was driving I still take out insurance after the horror stories I've read recently :thumbsup2 LOL

thank you both for that, i will look at both of those. yes he is under control and 6 months seizure free... but nothing is written in stone.

Lisa good luck with your daughter and i hope everything goes well for her, what a worrying time for you. xxx Bens breathing was effected by the seizures, its the most scary thing.. the panic, the sleepless nights, sleeping with an eye open... there is nothing so scary. x:hug:

I have used Sainsbury's for my last couple of trips and used them again for the family policy I took out. I was able to do it all online which a lot of companies will not let you do for pre-existing conditions - you normally have to phone a help line and I hate phoning people so this was ideal for me! It also allowed me to choose if I wanted my conditions covered or not - I think it was £10 extra to have them covered.

i just went to sainsburies and i was given £68 extra to add epilepsy?? which made our family cover £98!!! huh???

My friend used to say that...until she couldn't get onto the shuttle or the ferry two weeks ago. Lost her holiday (over £1,500) to Disney, the Christmas meal, the overnight hotel accommodation/fuel costs and all she got was a refund of the shuttle cost and a ticket for a free return journey. They didn't have travel insurance, so not only did they loose out a holiday, they also had a ruined Christams as they had no food (or even decorations up!). I think even if I was driving I still take out insurance after the horror stories I've read recently :thumbsup2 LOL

I take a risk I know, when I have gone longer then a couple of days I have purchased it but I normally only need it to cover my personal items.

If she was travelling by Eurotunnel she can contest what she has been offered as compensation as it was down to them that she couldn't travel.

I use the Post Office, as their terms state that as long as your condition is under control (whether it be after an operation or continuing "illness") you will be covered.

Have a look, they are really reasonable too!!!!!!!

Thanks, always gone with More Than but got a better quote from PO.
Just a quick qu. you might be able to help me with.
I started suffering with vertigo early last year, I have my suspicions that Space Mountain was the cause, at least that's my excuse for not having to ride it again.
I was on meds until Nov. when I had something called an Epley manouvre, which cured the Vertigo, I've been back to the consultant last week and he's signed me off, I only need to see him if it comes back.
My consultant appointment falls within the 3 month period that the PO ask about, but even if it were to come back during my holiday, I wouldn't be seeking treatment whilst over there, so I don't need to declare that do I ?

Have a look at Travelbility. http://www.travelbility.co.uk/

We found that Post Office claimed they'd cover my son for his condition but when we really examined the policy, he wouldn't have been adequately covered at all. My son has quite a severe disability with a very high probability of needing a lot of medical care abroad but with Travelbility all four of us are usually covered for between £60-£70 for a 4 or 5 day trip.

Thanks, always gone with More Than but got a better quote from PO.
Just a quick qu. you might be able to help me with.
I started suffering with vertigo early last year, I have my suspicions that Space Mountain was the cause, at least that's my excuse for not having to ride it again.
I was on meds until Nov. when I had something called an Epley manouvre, which cured the Vertigo, I've been back to the consultant last week and he's signed me off, I only need to see him if it comes back.
My consultant appointment falls within the 3 month period that the PO ask about, but even if it were to come back during my holiday, I wouldn't be seeking treatment whilst over there, so I don't need to declare that do I ?

Just declare it, even if you don't seek treatment and something else happens and they get your records and see you had an appointment it would be grounds for them to decline your claim. It just isn't worth the risk as they will look and find anything that means they don't have to pay out.

Kirsten

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter