How many points never get used?

mjl1969

Mouseketeer
Curious ... every DVC resort has x number of total points sold, which is probably approx 99% of all points possible if every room were booked every night of the year. I assume that DVC holds back some percentage of points to bring rooms down for refurb, sell for cash, etc.

I just came back from BCV and I was very surprised at how empty the place seemed (no complaints) .. and it seems to me that empty rooms must equate to people not using their points because 99% of the rooms have been sold .. and there is only so much capacity to absorb these points into the busier times of year or future years when points are banked. So the only conclusion I can come to is that people are only exhaust some , but not all of their points. If BCV was that empty last week .. I can only imagine places like OKW and SSR were ghost towns during this same time.

Anyone have any idea of how many of DVC points never get used and just get outright forfeited? .. I cant imaging someone letting this happen unless they have no choice .. but the cost of DVC shoots way up for those people who never end up using their points completely.

There are a handful of points that totally go to waste from people who can't use them, don't bank them, etc.

There are more points that get traded into Disney which Disney is unable to rent through CRO. The owner got to use the points, but Disney didn't. One of the reasons we get such little "value" from our points on trades is that Disney can't necessarily rent out all the points they take-in.

I'll tell you how many of mine go unused: Zero, thank you!

I bet that it's much more than we think. New Members will religiously vacation with all of their points and they will usually borrow.

Seasoned Members on the other hand have vacationed at WDW so many times that I will bet that many just stay home thinking that they will go next year. We met a older Member couple last year at WDW and they hadn't used their points in three years. I suggested that they rent them and their reply was that it's too much trouble. They have also never banked or borrowed, said that they didn't know how. :sad2:

We use all 400 of our points and sometimes have borrowed. :scared1: I would never ever let any slip by unused. I would bank those babies before I would ever not use them. ;) These points are very valuable to me. :goodvibes

Those of us who are "in the know" will always use, bank or borrow our points, but there are plenty of people who have no clue how to do that. Our guide once told us he had someone he sold points to who went only once in 10 years and never banked or borrowed....just let them go to waste. I can't imagine why someone would pay dues all that time and not use the points!

I think we're going to "lose" a few points due to them being transferred this year. Other than that, we keep track of our points very closely. I can't imagine just letting them go to waste..

The other thing to keep in mind is the other resorts. For example, let's say BLT is half sold and a portion of members that own at BCV use their points to book BLT at 7 months. This could make rooms at BCV go unused. Add to that points being used for hotels, cruises, etc. So, although "all" points may be sold for a specific resort, that does not mean that all of that resorts points will be used at that resort.

Those of us who are "in the know" will always use, bank or borrow our points, but there are plenty of people who have no clue how to do that. Our guide once told us he had someone he sold points to who went only once in 10 years and never banked or borrowed....just let them go to waste. I can't imagine why someone would pay dues all that time and not use the points!

:scared1: :eek: :scared1: :eek: :faint:

Good grief! These people should at least consider donating these points to a charity! I would think a trip to WDW would make a great raffle!

Last time I spoke with MS I was complaining that I am always in Borrow mode. SHe told me that I'm lucky because so many people don't use their points and they expire:scared1:

WOW! Thank goodness for the DISBOARDS!!!! I know how to borrow/bank/tranfer/rent/use them for cruises/use them to trade out etc etc. :worship:

We had a waitlist come thru the day before check in and due to the change we lost 3 points nothing we could about tried to give them away but no takers:confused3...How in the heck could you not understand the process?:sad2:.... Shawnpirate:

If my dad had owned points and wasn't able to use them himself or give them away to someone he knew, I doubt he would go to the bother to rent them. He'd probably bank them though. For some people who have plenty of money it just might not be worth their time to bother with the extra points. They might figure they'll get more each year.

Now when it comes to my points, I won't let anything like that happen. My vacations are very important to me.

Well if anyone of these points wasters are reading this, send me a PM! So far, we are always in points deficit and I don't see that changing anytime soon!

The next time I get more points is not until December of 2011 all my points until then are already used ! I figure at the end of the contract I'll only have Dec and Jan to use them up so Im better off being in borrow mode constantly :-)

We bought a resale with a boat load of points...and I was sick that we didn't use all our points and lost some. I am leary of renting, don't want to be responsible if there are damages.

Curious ... every DVC resort has x number of total points sold, which is probably approx 99% of all points possible if every room were booked every night of the year. I assume that DVC holds back some percentage of points to bring rooms down for refurb, sell for cash, etc.

I just came back from BCV and I was very surprised at how empty the place seemed (no complaints) .. and it seems to me that empty rooms must equate to people not using their points because 99% of the rooms have been sold .. and there is only so much capacity to absorb these points into the busier times of year or future years when points are banked. So the only conclusion I can come to is that people are only exhaust some , but not all of their points. If BCV was that empty last week .. I can only imagine places like OKW and SSR were ghost towns during this same time.
Anyone have any idea of how many of DVC points never get used and just get outright forfeited? .. I cant imaging someone letting this happen unless they have no choice .. but the cost of DVC shoots way up for those people who never end up using their points completely.

They upgraded people to OKW and SSR from the value resorts for free, so they were probably busy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter