How many points do you own & where?

lpoeppelman

DIS Veteran
Just curious on point buying strategies that people use...

Just curious how many points people buy and where do they own?

Anyone else out there who gets a 2br... how many points do you have a year?

:goodvibes

We usually end up using a 2-bedroom. Our original interest is 210 points at VWL, and we recently added 200 at BLT on the cheap. I think an ideal amount of points is roughly enough to spend one week a year (during the time you would usually go). But if you have some friends you trust that would rent points from you for a fair price, you can go a little higher and be assured you won't be stuck with unusable points.

We bought 200 OKW points in 2006 and just added 75 HHI points. We get a 2BR now, but had always just squeezed into a 1BR before (we are a family of 5 and now the kids are too big to squeeze into a 1BR). My inlaws use 100 of our points each year...so with the other 175 we plan to do WDW for 6 nights in a 2BR every 3 years and then HH for 5 nights in a 2BR every 3 years (and a non-DVC vacay every 3 years). If I could have exactly the points/contracts I would like, I'd have 3 100 point contracts...1 at HHI, 1 at BWV and 1 not sure where. I guess I'll just eventually add 25 more points on at HHI and call it a day.

We started with 180 points, hoping to have enough point once banked and borrowed to go every other year in a 2 BR villa. Since we have purchased 220 more just because we love it so much. Plus as we learned there are alot more you can do with more points. Granted, I am sure you are working on a budget so do as much research as you can.

My family bought in Oct. '10 for 100 points at Saratoga Springs. We haven't stayed at any DVC resort yet, but I can already tell we will need more points.

My family bought in Oct. '10 for 100 points at Saratoga Springs. We haven't stayed at any DVC resort yet, but I can already tell we will need more points.

Okay, not to be completely nosy. But if you bought into DVC, why have all your trips the past few years been at values? Are you using your points to stay there?

Okay, not to be completely nosy. But if you bought into DVC, why have all your trips the past few years been at values? Are you using your points to stay there?

My guess is a stripped contract on the cheap and banking 2011 points to use in 2012?

Anyway, My wife and are in the midst of a 125 BLT purchase. We are planning 2 trips every 3 years. A 5 night early Nov. trip, a skip and bank year, then a weeklong Summer trip with the banked + current year points and repeating this schedule until our lives change (kids grow up and no longer travel with us) This point amount will allow us a 1 br almost every time (may have to borrow for the summer). Every other fall trip may require a night or two in a studio. My thoughts were to have just enough points for our needs. I'd rather buy too few than too many. I don't want the anxiety of needing to rent them or have to use them just so they don't go to waste.

Family of 5 and we bought in to use our points every year for a 2 bedroom. We bought 160 BLT originally, added 125 BLT points then bought 2 cheap resale contracts at SSR totaling 290. We have a total of 575 points. This Feb we are doing 10 nights in THV with SSR points, banking BLT points and in December we will be going for x-mas and New Years about 10 nights at BLT in a 2 bedroom.:cool1:

We have 335 at SSR. We typically book 1BR units. Recent travel history:

* Jan 2012: 1BR Boardwalk Villas, Boardwalk view for 10 nights
* Sept 2011: 1BR Aulani Villas, Ocean view for 8 nights
* Jan 2011: 1BR Boardwalk Villas, Garden view for 7 nights (traded in through RCI)
* Oct 2010: 3BR Saratoga Springs, Grand Villa for 7 nights (traded in through RCI)
* Jan 2010: 2BR Boardwalk Villas, Garden View for 7 nights (traded in through RCI) + 1BR AKV Concierge for 2 nights
* Dec 2009: Treehouse Villa, 7 nights + 2BR at Saratoga Springs for 1 night

Upcoming:
* Apr 2012: 1BR Grand Californian, 2 nights >> just snagged through online reservations!
* June 2012: 1BR Vero Beach, 7 nights (traded in through RCI)
* Dec 2012: Treehouse Villa, 7 nights >> arg! online reservations is gonna get me into really big trouble!

240 HHI Points
260 SSR points
Can never have enough points, but I think we reached our limit at 500. Grand Floridian is enticing though. We stay in a minimum of a 1 bedroom.

401 @ OKW
626 @ DVB
920 @ BWV

You'll find answers all over the place on this.
We acquired where we wanted to stay that way we have the 11 month window. In the case of VB it was because we always want to be in a Beach Cottage. Generally we stay in a one bedroom for extended visits and/or have friends/family join us.

Can I be REALLY nosy? For those of you who live farther away from Disney, how do you afford to fly down so many times a year? We are a family of four traveling and the absolute cheapest I have found out of Philly is $200/person. This is why we are limiting ourselves to one or less times per year.

230 at OKW. Bought in 96 and have gone at least once every year. Family of 5. To make things even more fun, my son is now going to Rollins College (25mins away) and going to see him allows me to stay at "home" Just booked my feb break trip to see him actually

Can I be REALLY nosy? For those of you who live farther away from Disney, how do you afford to fly down so many times a year? We are a family of four traveling and the absolute cheapest I have found out of Philly is $200/person. This is why we are limiting ourselves to one or less times per year.

Hi Jen, we're a little bit south of you (just outside D.C.) but I get where you're coming from. We're in the process of buying 150 points at BWV (waiting for ROFR) but we factored in the airfare for a couple of trips per year when we were deciding whether to buy. We usually spend between $200-$250 per person for each trip. The plan right now (while it's still just the two of us) is we'll pay for one trip and hopefully offset the second set of airline tickets each year with our AmEx reward points.

We're also putting aside money each month to go toward our MF and APs for the year.

Hi Jen, we're a little bit south of you (just outside D.C.) but I get where you're coming from. We're in the process of buying 150 points at BWV (waiting for ROFR) but we factored in the airfare for a couple of trips per year when we were deciding whether to buy. We usually spend between $200-$250 per person for each trip. The plan right now (while it's still just the two of us) is we'll pay for one trip and hopefully offset the second set of airline tickets each year with our AmEx reward points.

We're also putting aside money each month to go toward our MF and APs for the year.

Thanks. These are good ideas!

260 AK
210 OKW

We are a family of 5 and the kids are adults now. We go every year with all,and once a year with out the kids. Our flights out of Chicago run about $260 per person round trip. It's not cheap, but its WDW. You just got to, Love It, to make it work. If you want or need to, go every 2 years and try different resorts.

We own 650 points, all at Bay Lake Tower. We are a family of 4. Now that our kids are a bit older, ages 6 and 8, we have found we aren't comfortable in a studio. We orginally bought 450 points in April '10, then added on 50, 100, and finally another 50 to reach 650 so we can always stay in a 1 BR. We used to go to WDW 4-5 times/year, but now with 2 kids in school we've reduced it to 2-3 times/year.

Just curious on point buying strategies that people use...

Just curious how many points people buy and where do they own?

Anyone else out there who gets a 2br... how many points do you have a year?

:goodvibes

I have 75 @HHI and 30more points @ BWV ,its enough for now .

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter