How many people in a 1 BR

Status
Not open for further replies.

DP1

Earning My Ears
We will be staying at VWL for 10 days. There are 2 adults and 2 kids. My mom wants to fly down and stay 4 days - can she stay in the 1 bedroom villa with us or will she have to get a room in the main lodge?
thanks
DP

The official answer is: 4 people and one child under 3, or who is young enough to sleep in the pac N play.

As Pam said...4 is the "official" amt. And I'm sure Pam put it there for a reason ;) You will get many answers and of course this will turn into another debate. My suggestion to you would be to call the front desk/ DVC ressies dept and tell them your mom will be coming for four days. I bet they will tell you its ok. Get ready for the smoke all :rolleyes: ;) I've got my extinguisher ready :cool: :D

I would just suggest checking the contracts you signed.

They clearly state the room occupancy limits. Some people believe these rules were meant for other people.

I'm Diane, not Pam. I personnally would not mind if someone had a small child sleeping on the floor, but I don't think it would be a comfortable situation at all. You have 2 children and one adult who have to find a way to share a pull out sofa and a love seat. Either that, or the kids have to move in with Mom and Dad.

Call member services and ask them. If they say it is OK, then you have an official answer that you can use.

You may not be aware, but a little history is that this is an ongoing aurgument on these boards and most times the moderator ends up having to close the thread because the back and forth gets out of line. A recent poll among posters showed that the majority (2 to 1) favor allowing 5 in a one bedroom (sometimes with stipulations). The poll upset those who oppose, and there was a couple of individuals who actually ended up sabotaging the thread beyond the moderators warnings in order to close the poll whose results they didn't like. There are also posters who seem to just like to aurgue for aurguments sake.

But non of that really matters, what matters is the answer that Member Services provides you. They legitimately have the discretion to allow the additional occupancy when they determine it is appropriate. Many posters are reporting that members services is accomodating to thier request of an additional person. My poersonal opinion it that their decision to allow 5 is entirely appropriate.

But I won't aurgue the point here, I just wanted to pass along the advice to call MS and to let you know that you shouldn't take the postings here too seriously especially if your unaware of the heated debate and closed threads that arises every time this issue is brought up.

Have a wonderful vacation.

LOL! Now, I'm getting the blame for something I didn't even say. This time it was Diane who provided the answer. The published room limits are as she stated. If anyone would like an exception, they can do as Captain Midnight suggests and contact MS. In any case, there will only be the king bed and the foldout sofa available. Any other bedding arrangement would have to be provided by the guest.

Also, as mentioned, the Debate Board carries a lengthy discussion on whether or not the stated limits should or should not be strictly enforced. ;)

There was no poll that could be looked at in any useful way.

The poll said "Would like to get something for free?"

And the result was that many people were honest enough to say that they wouldn't take the freebie since it imposes on others.

The poll had no meaning at all.

Here come da lock.....

I almost hate to get involved in a potentially controversial thread with my first post, but.....I will. (LOL) DH and I were in WDW last week and did the DVC tour. Our guide told us you could have 5 people in a 1 bedroom. She even went so far as to show us where an air mattress would fit. By the way...we bought into BCV!! Can't wait!!

Back in 1995 when we purchased, our guide (who was fairly new) also told us that we could put five people in a one bedroom, but that "Disney would only supply bedding for four." Our three boys were 8 years old and up at the time.

The first time that we tried to book a one bedroom, our second DVC trip, MS informed us that the limit was 4 because of "fire laws." Sure was a big surprise to us - we didn't have a whole lot of money to spend and points for a one bedroom were about all we could afford. We had made our plans based on our guide's comments when we purchased.

Our boys have since grown somewhat, totalling more than 600 pounds. ;-) One bedrooms are no longer an option and we've added on 5 times. Even with 6 people in a two bedroom we bring an air mattress. None of my guys will sleep in the same bed.

I haven't added anything to this discussion and I'm not presuming to voice an opinion on what's right and what isn't. Just wanted to say that I had hoped the information from our guides would have reached some level of consistency in the past 7 years. It has honestly been the *only* problem I've had with DVC since purchasing.

The word or a timeshare salesperson is worth about as much as that of a used car salesperson, maybe less across the industry. While DVC guides are pretty honest overall (compared to their non DVC counterparts), they do earn a living getting you to buy points. If this is the worst "lie" that they tell anyone, we're all in pretty good shape.

As for calling MS and being told it's ok to have 5 in a room in contradiction to the legal paperwork, I wouldn't think this would hold water either. I know that enforcement has been spotty and that people have not usually been turned away, however, that doesn't change the official rules. And as noted, some have been prevented from making reservations in violation of the occupancy limits.

One thing to think about with this type of situation is that if one contacts the official parties, there are 3 basic ways thing can go. One of those options is to move toward more hardline adherence to the rules.

We once had 678,534 people in a 1 BR at BWV (tiny room and all) I tried to call Guiness to get our name in the record books, but I could not find the phone!

Joe in CT

As usual, this thread has strayed far from the question asked by the poster.

Further "discussion" will have to take place on the Debate Board!

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter