How many people do these trips without being time share members?

This may be a slight bit off topic - my wife is exploring the DVC (I just discovered) and argues that it's a great deal because it includes ABD trips.

I haven't even read the DVC materials or prospectus yet; I would be curious to hear from those who are in DVC and why they do or do not use DVC points for ABD trips.

We've been on 2 ABD trips - and thought very highly of them. We were a bit shocked at this year's price increases/elimination of EBD, etc., but agree with all the comments about the access, tour guides, and attention to detail.

I am leery of locking in anything long term now - and would appreciate hearing from those who are in DVC and their experiences with ABD. Thanks!

I am a DVC member and I don't use my points for these trips. It is not a good use of points. The points required for just 1 person is high depending on the trip. Besides I still need (want) my WDW trips each year.

Hi there!

We are DVC Members. However we did not use our points to go to South Africa. We paid with cash. Like others have posted this is not a cost effective way to use the points.

For the level of concierge service that ABD provided we felt that we got our moneys worth and then some.

ABD is not for everyone. For those who can save and manage to come up with the cash flow, ABD is well worth the money!!!!

I'm a DVC member but have never used points for my AbD trips, for the reasons mentioned above. I've been on four AbD trips so far and my fifth is coming up in three weeks.

I'm also a travel agent, but have only been on one AbD trip with any kind of a TA discount. Considering I get discounted offers all the time from other tour companies, but still pay full price for AbD, says a lot. Having the somewhat unique perspective of seeing all the details of other suppliers (and working closely with many), and doing many comparisons for clients, it also says a lot that I choose AbD year after year for my own family.

To answer grifdog22, I'd hesitate to buy into the DVC if you don't plan to use your points primarily for WDW or DLR. In my opinion, it's just not cost-effective. I wrote the DVC Primer for allears.net, so feel free to PM me with any DVC questions.

Dotti

1st--our DVC guide said right up front---ABD cost a lot of points--not really a good use of points--that says it all.
2nd--we are die hard WDW-DVC-DCL fans--but this summer we are taking family of 6 to Europe for 1 week and 1 week RCCL Baltic cruise. We could get a RCCL family room for essentially the price of 2 persons on DCL, so it was a no-brainer. I have been to many places we are going and am quite comfortable booking tours, flights, foreign hotels, even foreign trains on my own. But, I have spent more hours researching, booking, etc. for our trip than the actual hours that we will spend on our trip. I was a European history major in college, and travel is my hobby, so it's OK with me---but, for most people with kids/job/ etc., that's a lot of time---do you really need to know every train schedule in central Europe by heart--I do! And, with many of our destinations--know what DH says--look online and see what ABD or DCL would do and let's do the same thing--I think that says it all! Elaine

DH and I did Southwest Spledors in Oct 2009. It was an adults only trip, and only 2 of the 26 travelers were not DVC members. However, of the 24 members, no one used their points to pay for the ABD. Some had just banked points for future use, others rented out their points to pay for their vacation AND use their points.
I absolutely loved ABD. My hubby wanted to go to the Grand Canyon, and when I started doing research, my head started to spin. When I found out that ABD did a tour that included the Grand Canyon, I was sold.
Now if I could just talk him into the Backstage Magic tour.........:wizard:

:thumbsup2 We're DVC Members. After running the numbers, we've found that using our points on ABD trips and DCL cruises are NOT wise ways to use our points. So, we paid out of pocket for our ABD trip and DCL cruises. :wizard: We made the mistake once on using points for a DVC Members Cruise on DCL. We were behind on points for years after borrowing. :headache:

:goodvibes Jennifer

I've done 3 ABD's (just got back from #3) and I am not a DVC member. ABD's are totally worth every penny.

Sayhello

We did our first last summer - to Ireland. Best vacation of my life and we paid for every cent of it ourselves. And we are not wealthy. We saved and scrimped and charged and it was all worth it. I guess depending on the type of traveler you are, you could do it yourself and for less money, but the added things that ABD brings that you can't buy really make everything worth it. I'd do it again in a heartbeat but trying to save...

I'm a DVC member but certainly do not have enough points to use them for ABD. I paid out of pocket for Backstage Magic and I thought it was a great deal. Loved every minute!

Whats a Rough estimate for one of these Trips ... Just throw out an example -- Or can someone explain how they are priced ... ??

Well, when we did Backstage Magic is was over 4K (totally worth it..great lodging and food, access to places you just can't do on your own).Looking at the current listings the Grand Canyon one (I want to do Golden Path to Yosemite but looks like that's all sold out) it's $2,769 for an adult. I don't remember if this includes taxes. DVC points for the same time same trip is 383. The general standard is giving each DVC point a value of $10.00 since that is the average rental price, so that makes your trip 'cost' $3,830. If you have alot of points to burn up, you might want to use them for ABD, but a better deal would be renting out 276 points to get the cash to pay for the trip, and save your 107 extra points for something else, or just pay cash. I have 175 points total..even by banking and borrowing, I wouldn't have enough points for DH and I to do an ABD trip.

Pricing is here for 2010: http://abd.disney.go.com/abd/en_US/index?name=HomePage

There are a few things to remember....

ABD is sold and booked as a LUXURY tour company - they aren't trying to create an inexpensive trip.

Because ABD is going to keep you busy nearly every day doing often pretty special things - private tours for instance, it isn't going to be cheap.

BUT, you don't have to think. Every thing that you do has been screened so its appropriate for the "general family tour group." If you have an issue, your guides are there to get it resolved for you. Most meals are covered - so there isn't necessarily a lot out of pocket.

I've done the "show up and go somewhere" - its really nice, but its challenging with kids in a place you don't know or haven't spent a lot of time researching. I'm fine in a hotel in a part of town that I might not choose had I known better. I'm not fine with my kids in that hotel.

I won't say that the guides "babysit" your kids - they don't (although I think all trips include a kids movie night - where the guides babysit your kids). I will say that with our tour, the kids formed a "kids table" pretty quickly at meals, hung with the other kids in the back of the bus, and there were moments that our kids were being watched by another guest - especially by the end of the tour "all kids belonged to everyone." Which creates an atmosphere a little like the cruise with the kids club - you get family time - as much as you want. But you can also enjoy some time where your kids aren't right on top of you.

We own DVC. We did one ABD trip and are considering a second. We paid cash. I don't own (and don't choose to afford) nearly enough DVC points to make paying for ABD on points the least bit attractive. I've also done Europe by myself - and if we do a second ABD trip, will probably add days onto the front and back to hit some spots the ABD trip doesn't go.

We became DVC members in May of this year after our trip to WDW. We are going AKV for 7 days in December. My husband wants to go to the ABD to the Grand Canyon for summer 2011. Here is the dilema after reading all of the posts: we cannot afford to go to WDW and the Grand Canyon next summer, both in terms of time and money.

I know that a lot of people say not to use points to go on ABD, but if I read the chart correctly, we will have enough for 1 adult trip and one child trip. We would then need to pay for 1 adult trip and one child trip. The other option would be to rent our points and use the money for the trip. But, would we make enough money to make that worth it. If we don't do this it would be a very expensive trip.

Any advice would be great! Thanks!

To answer the first poster's question: My 10 yr old dd and I have been on 3 ABD trips (Costa Rica, Germany, and Alaska) and are ready to go on our fourth in a couple of weeks: Peru. We have enjoyed them all so far.

We are not DVC members---I looked into it, but for the kind of trips we were taking, the economics of DVC didn't work for us.

Most of the people who post on this board and go on the trips pay cash for them. I am a DVC member but I pay cash for the trips, the points needed for one person for a trip are high anywhere from 400-700 points for 1 so it is not a good use of points to begin with.

As for being able to do it for less money, you can but you won't have the same experience and on certain trips there are things that you just can't do as they aren't open to the general public. I think it is worth it not to have to do anything but show up. I think it is worth it not to have to wait in line to get into any of the popular tourist attractions/exhibits/museums. The attention to detail is phenomenal and if things go astray ABD will make it all right or they will try their hardest. There is a poster who went to china last year and ended up being quarrantined due to someone they were sitting near on the plane had a fever and the whole swine flu thing, abd counldn't get them out of quarrantine but stayed in touch with them the entire time and did whatever they could to help, you wouldn't get that if you were on your own.

I have looked into other tour groups and the things they offer, yes many are less money but they don't offer many of the things ABD does. Only you can decide if it worth the money I think they are.

I agree with Tozzi. We are time share members but paid cash for our ABD. We also took a great DL vacation ON our points that same year :goodvibes

We've done 2 ABD trips and are about to take our 3rd - and we are not DVC members.

In terms of absolute dollars, these are expensive trips, for sure. I know that when we were considering our first trip (Knights & Lights), we were really hesitant to fork over such a large amount of cash for our family of 4.

Then I calculated a few scenarios:

Time - Follow the ABD itinerary, but do the trip on our own. The result - we simply could not jam the same activity into the same 'time' if doing the trip on our own. First - if you're taking care of all your own logistics for touring, hotels, meals, transfers, etc. - you cannot fit in all the same fun stuff into your day. Second - some things we just could never accomplish on our own - e.g. backstage tour after a performance of Mary Popppins.

Cost - Analyze every hotel, tour, attraction, etc. list in the ABD itinerary and figure out the overall cost of doing it all on your own (assuming you could solve the Time problem). The result - the rack rate pricing came out well above the ABD rate. So to make it all affordable on your own, you'd have to cut corners somewhere.

The bottom-line is that ABD is for folks who want to make maximum use of their time with high levels of convenience and comfort. For my family, it's been worth the money - but I agree it can be a (too) large chunk of a family's vacation budget.

We just returned from Germany on our first ABD trip as a family. We are DVC members but did not use our points. We wouldn't be able to go to WDW for a VERY long time if we used our points. We just don't have that many points.

I will admit that I was hesitant about spending that much money out of pocket for a family vacation for three (me, DH, and DS10). We have never spent that kind of money on one vacation, but now that we have had the experience I can attest that it was worth WAY MORE than we paid. It was simply THE BEST vacation I have ever taken. You can't put a pricetag on these kinds of memories. If we can make it possible in the future, we will travel with ABD again. :thumbsup2

Okay, I have to chime in here.

I was one of the people who said "these aren't worth it", which is why Dreams Unlimited didn't really start selling ABD until last year - after I'd experienced a trip (for those who don't know me, I'm the owner of the DIS and part owner in Dreams Unlimited Travel).

On the surface, I dismissed it as expensive and overpriced, not hard to imagine with anything that has the Disney name on it. If you judge these trips by the price point alone, you're doing yourself, and these trips a disservice. My suggestion - read the trip reports. These people have no axe to grind - no reason to praise something that's not worth it. The vast majority of those who do ABD trips come back and do another one. That's what happened to me. I did the Australia trip last September and had my 'come to Jesus' moment with ABD. I was stunned by how good it was. Yes, those are expensive trips (between $4k and $5k per adult), but I got the chance to experience Australia in a way that very few people do.

As for the prices, Dreams Unlimited has a calculator where all the prices for the current itin's and dates are loaded in. You can price out trips and see exactly what they'll cost without having to put in a quote - http://www.dreamsunlimitedtravel.com/reservations/abd_input.cfm

There's a thread at the top of this forum with links to many of the trip reports that have been written on ABD adventures. Take some time and look them over - that will give you good insight as to what's included and what the reaction of other DISBoards members has been to these trips.

Pete

T-Minus 9 days and counting until Backstage Magic tour #2 !!!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter