• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How many out there think Disney parks is gearing thing TOO much for kids under 10

Do you think Disney parks is gearing things too much for kids under 10?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

heart_of_disney

Mouseketeer
Disney parks have always been a place for allll ages, but recently some say they are gearing too much for guests under 10. Who agrees?

With the disclaimer that I've only been to Disneyland, never to WDW...I say no I don't think so. There was plenty for my teenager to enjoy and plenty for my husband and I to enjoy last time we were there. While I know adults enjoy Disney too, I think it actually should be more geared toward children.

I can see where you are coming from... I don't really notice too much of the little kid stuff though because I am not one nor do I go to DL with one. I feel like it should be geared towards everyone- I mean, they make most of their money on lifetime Dinsey lovers!

The only new "kiddie" ride is Toy Story at Studios...previous Rock in Roll was for adults

New ride at AK is definitely for adults!:scared1:

New ride at Epcot is for all ages...previous Mission Space and race cars for adults

:confused3

So many of the rides aren't little kid friendly OR accessible because of height (BTMR, RRC, ToT, Star Wars, Soarin, Test Track, Splash Mountain, Haunted mansion- most really little kids freak, Space Mountain, Exp. Everest, Kali River Rapids).

I always kind of felt like there wasn't much for toddlers or smaller kids (and lots of people bring them). So, I think it's nice to see some more stuff for the little kids. Disney is for families of all ages and I think they're creating more of a balance so that there's something for everyone.

Just on the face of it, that does not make sense? Why would they gear the parks towards those under 10 when the admission/food prices skyrocket at the age of 10?

See, I have a different perspective, I guess. I like when all the parents of the under 10 crowd are headed for the new kiddie stuff. Less of a line for me and my family at the "older stuff".

Definitely. It'd be nice to go back to the days when every single store on property hadn't been turned into a toy store, all carrying basically the same merchandise. Shopping is one of the things I look forward to most at WDW, but a lot of the fun's been sucked out of it because I'm waaaaaaaaaaay past 10 years old.

So many of the rides aren't little kid friendly OR accessible because of height (BTMR, RRC, ToT, Star Wars, Soarin, Test Track, Splash Mountain, Haunted mansion- most really little kids freak, Space Mountain, Exp. Everest, Kali River Rapids).

I always kind of felt like there wasn't much for toddlers or smaller kids (and lots of people bring them). So, I think it's nice to see some more stuff for the little kids. Disney is for families of all ages and I think they're creating more of a balance so that there's something for everyone.

The difference is that they used to create attractions that everyone could enjoy in their own way. Many of the newer attractions are either targeted just towards older kids/teens/adults, or (especially in the case with MK) just small kids.

I don't know really. I have a teen that isn't that into WDW any more but I can see that many of the newer attractions should at least appeal to preteens.

One thing that bothers me a little is that characters seem to be everywhere now. I like the characters but they seem less special than they used to. Plus I'm still smarting over Akershus being ruined.

Definitely. It'd be nice to go back to the days when every single store on property hadn't been turned into a toy store, all carrying basically the same merchandise. Shopping is one of the things I look forward to most at WDW, but a lot of the fun's been sucked out of it because I'm waaaaaaaaaaay past 10 years old.

Yeah, all the same merchandise everywhere! Having that many stores is bad enough, but killing off any variety or miscellany is even worse. (I remember buying this little esoteric magic set--nothing Disney about it--in the Main Street Emporiurm back in the early eighties. Good luck with that sort of thing now.)

As for the poll, I'm childless and I still wouldn't vote "yes". Like someone pointed out there are plenty of attractions that aren't for toddlers. Frankly, I'm a bit more worried that Disney World will cynically feel the need to start aiming themselves (their rides and atmosphere, anyway) more towards adolescents (noisier, flashier rides, what have you). This is a little bit how DHS studios feels to me, and I just don't respond to it. I think it's pretty clear there a divergence between the "quaintness" of Disney and what most teens would be into. I worry Disney will want to recitfy that.

Mind you, this doesn't mean I'm not a bit of an anti-"kids get to do anything, cause the place is for kids" grump. Because I am, a little.

The difference is that they used to create attractions that everyone could enjoy in their own way. Many of the newer attractions are either targeted just towards older kids/teens/adults, or (especially in the case with MK) just small kids.
The newest major attractions at MK are Philharmagic, Space Ranger Spin and Monsters Inc. (unless I'm missing something) and they all score very well across every age group.

As for the question in the OP, Universal has a whole land for little kids at AOI. WDW has Toontown with one little rollercoaster and other than that it's a few scattered play areas in each park and character meet and greets which I've seen more than a few adults taking part in.

I don't have a problem with the balance at WDW and I don't think it's changed much since I started going in the early 70's.

I think it is a nice mix.

We tend to go as an extended family vacation...lots of different age groups. I appreciate the playgrounds & child friendly activity centers near popular rides that have height restrictions. A couple of the motion sick adults can watch the younger ones while the rest of us ride.

It works much better than the rider swap program. A crying child at the gate waiting & not understanding about height safety can take the air out of the fun balloon. Although for smaller groups (single family), I can see where the program can seem wonderful, also.

And the areas for diaper changing, feeding, quite time are nice, also. Much more convienant than the way it used to be. :thumbsup2

I don't have a little one.. But I always felt there was way more for the Big kids then the tots.. :confused3

Their height restriction prevents alot of the children on any of the popular rides

We took DS to WDW for the first time this summer and we were pleasently surprised at how much he could do, really. We had a wonderful time doing things as a family and a few things seperately as adults (Misson:Space and EE).

Their height restriction prevents alot of the children on any of the popular rides
DH and I were actually really glad for that, because even though we would've wanted to take him on those rides, there might have been the chance that he couldn't handle it. But since we'd never done anything like this with him before, we didn't know for sure exactly what he'd be comfortable with and what he wouldn't. He did well with the dark rides, but the Star Wars ride scared the living daylights out of him. Two or three minutes in, he was begging us to get off and all we could do was put our arms around him and tell him to hang on, it would be over in a minute. I know at Mission:Space there was a playground for the kids, so DS got to play in there while DH and I took turns doing the ride itself. I thought that was a nice touch. :)

I'm wondering what the OP has against kids?

A couple of weeks ago, they posted that they HATED the Magic Kingdom, and now they think things are geared too much to young kids?

Personally I don't think the Disney parks are geared too much to kids, but that's just my opinion. Thankfully, there are enough different rides, shows, attractions, and just atmosphere, to keep our entire group happy.

I'm wondering what the OP has against kids?

A couple of weeks ago, they posted that they HATED the Magic Kingdom, and now they think things are geared too much to young kids?

Personally I don't think the Disney parks are geared too much to kids, but that's just my opinion. Thankfully, there are enough different rides, shows, attractions, and just atmosphere, to keep our entire group happy.

Sometimes I think it has more to do with the age of some of the posters. No disrespect OP. However, I have noticed that the younger posters (18-27) who do not have kids, are not sure if they ever want to have kids, often times do not have neices and nephews seem to post these kind of things.

They are too big for the baby rides and are not there with kids. To them, it is not so much the "family getaway" as it is the fun place to go. So, those of us pushing the strollers, hogging the best spots at parades-so the little ones can see something besides someone's bum, dillydallying so little legs can keep up...well, we are a nuisance. We are the people to be rushed around as soon as possible- Mission Space might get 10 more people in line...hurry...don't trip over the 5 yr. old that the parents should have kept at home...type of mentality.

Luckily for us, families are still Disney's driving force. :thumbsup2

Sometimes I think it has more to do with the age of some of the posters. No disrespect OP. However, I have noticed that the younger posters (18-27) who do not have kids, are not sure if they ever want to have kids, often times do not have neices and nephews seem to post these kind of things.

They are too big for the baby rides and are not there with kids. To them, it is not so much the "family getaway" as it is the fun place to go. So, those of us pushing the strollers, hogging the best spots at parades-so the little ones can see something besides someone's bum, dillydallying so little legs can keep up...well, we are a nuisance. We are the people to be rushed around as soon as possible- Mission Space might get 10 more people in line...hurry...don't trip over the 5 yr. old that the parents should have kept at home...type of mentality.

Luckily for us, families are still Disney's driving force. :thumbsup2

:thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter