• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How many of you skip Nassau?

Clare

Mouseketeer
Doing our very first Disney cruise in November (DH, myself and our 2 girls). It's only a 3-nighter, which I know is going to fly by. We are already expecting to miss out on much of what the ship has to offer.

So, we are considering staying on the ship at Nassau. We have a feeling our girls (ages 5 & 7) would enjoy the onboard activities and less crowded pools & Aquaduck more than a shore excursion.

I know some people probably think, "Why cruise if you aren't going to enjoy the ports?" but in our case the Disney Dream is our primary destination :)

Your thoughts?

I'd say just get off early in the morning (before it gets too hot) and have a look around. Just to say you visited nassau. Go to the straw market or even just the terminal. I hear a lot of people really don't like going into nassau, but I think it's worth a look.

Personally, we always get off at Nassau just to walk around and exercise. We will be doing an excursion next time around in October.

Keep in mind that, from information on this board, more and more folks tend to stay on the ship at Nassau so the pools and AquaDuck may not be as uncrowded as you would like. The clubs will have activities as usual so the youngsters will find plenty to do.

Whichever you choose have a wonderful cruise.

Keep in mind that, from information on this board, more and more folks tend to stay on the ship at Nassau so the pools and AquaDuck may not be as uncrowded as you would like. The clubs will have activities as usual so the youngsters will find plenty to do.

Good point! And we aren't expecting the ship to be deserted by any means, mostly hoping for more time to enjoy the ship than we would have if we spent the day in Nassau.

:dance3:We did a 3 night cruise last November - first time cruise at that! We didn't get off in Nassau. Instead both our DS went to the kids area in the morning, while DH and I had a couples massage. After checking in with them, they didn't want to leave quite yet, so we went to the adult pool - very quiet.

Then we missed our kids and went to get them for lunch. Afternoon was pool, and fun activities on the ship. I recommend to stay on, especially if you will cruise again! Have FUN!

we got of the ship to check it out cause it was our first cruise but on our next curise we would probbly not get off the ship nothing really special the shopping is ok

I would do as Holie said. Get off in the morning for just a little bit. Go to the Market and let the girls buy a souviner. See the culture and grab a cold drink at Senior Frogs and head back to the ship for lunch. If your daughters want their hair braided, don't do it in Nassua. Have it done on the ship. It's more expensive but much more comfortable for the kids. That would be my advice. We sail in October on the Dream and are not getting off because we just went to Nassua last October and got off. Whatever you choose have an awesome cruise!!!:dance3:

Our first cruise was without the kids. We got off and went to Atlantis. Our second cruise was with the kids. We stayed on and enjoyed a spa treatment. It was great. I think you should get off for a short walk around. The straw market is a great spot to get a cute knock off bag if that's what you are into. It can be a bit intimidating to most adults let alone children. I certainly wouldn't take my children all the way in that place. After the kids get a t-shirt with Nassau on it, head back to the ship and enjoy what you really paid to do. :woohoo:

There are many people who just like to be able to get off the ship for a while. Others I have seen get off, go tot he end of the pier and then head back to the ship just to say they have been to Nassau. I would at least get off for a few minutes and walk around for a bit. First thing in the morning is probably best for that as not much happens on the ship that morning. pirate:

that's when I intend to ride the Aquaduck. I've already been to Nassau.

Thanks so much for the advice! DIS'ers are the best! I think I'll let my husband read through all these answers too so he can help me decide.

Our first cruise was without the kids. We got off and went to Atlantis. Our second cruise was with the kids. We stayed on and enjoyed a spa treatment. It was great. I think you should get off for a short walk around. The straw market is a great spot to get a cute knock off bag if that's what you are into. It can be a bit intimidating to most adults let alone children. I certainly wouldn't take my children all the way in that place. After the kids get a t-shirt with Nassau on it, head back to the ship and enjoy what you really paid to do. :woohoo:

This is our plan too. DH & kids go to the pool, I get off the ship and go shopping and then the kids go to the club and we go to the spa. (Sometimes they offer specials on port days)

We did the Blue Lagoon dolphin swim and sea lion experience on our first cruise two years ago and enjoyed it immensely. But on our trip at the end of this month, we're staying on board in Nassau. Looking forward to exploring the new ship, playing some games in the lounges and just relaxing. If it's not too hot, we'll take a stroll into Nassau. We're doing WDW afterward, so we'll have our fill of activities, including one of the water parks, and I won't miss the extra expense of one of the excursions for a family of 4.

and I won't miss the extra expense of one of the excursions for a family of 4.

That's another advantage of staying on board that I considered! But then I thought of the money I might spend at the spa if I don't leave the ship :) Not sure what will cost more!

Having been to Nassau once I've not bothered to get off the ship on subsequent visits. Occasionally I get tempted by the thought of visiting Atlantis, but then decide I'd rather just stay on board and enjoy the ship. We're doing a 3-night in September on the Dream and since its such a short trip and a huge, brand new ship we figure we're going to need that Nassau time just exploring the vessel.

Doing our very first Disney cruise in November (DH, myself and our 2 girls). It's only a 3-nighter, which I know is going to fly by. We are already expecting to miss out on much of what the ship has to offer.

So, we are considering staying on the ship at Nassau. We have a feeling our girls (ages 5 & 7) would enjoy the onboard activities and less crowded pools & Aquaduck more than a shore excursion.

I know some people probably think, "Why cruise if you aren't going to enjoy the ports?" but in our case the Disney Dream is our primary destination :)

Your thoughts?

Like you, had planned to enjoy the Dream and skip Nassau - our boys are preschool aged, and think the environment would be intimidating. Given that, appreciate the thoughts here because I'm starting to reconsider. Thanks for the opinions, and will probably go with a game time decision!:rolleyes1

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter