• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How many of you do laundry at WDW

100acreHiker

Fallen down the Disney rabbit hole...
We'll be at GF for 7 days. The only other trip we've done to WDW was for 4 days, so we just packed a lot of stuff and did laundry upon our return home. I have many pictures of our boys throughout the parks wearing shirts of questionable cleanliness ; )

I read that the resorts have laundry facilities. I'm curious if most of you use them for trips of 1 week's length, or do you just pack a heck of a lot of stuff. I really don't love the idea of spending half of a day doing laundry when I can be in a park with my family, but I also don't know if we have enough suitcase space for 7 days of clothing for various temperatures and conditions.

Can you have your laundry done for you? Is that even a thing? I do so much laundry at home every day that I really look forward to vacation and not having to do it! Also, how much do the machines cost? Or the service?

Thanks!

You can have laundry done for you but it's super expensive. You pay per item. I did laundry on our week long trip at AKL. The facilities were right by the pool so I threw it in the washer went swimming and then went back to throw in dryer. It was easy peasy !

We have stayed for 8-9 days, and we both pack a ton of clothing and do laundry on vacation. When at WDW (in June/July at least), I find that I need a day outfit till we break, then we rest, swim, eat lunch, and I change before we go out for the rest of the day. Otherwise, I would not be good company to sit next to on the bus...

For us, it wasn't a big deal doing all that laundry for 5 of us on one of our mid afternoon breaks or our planned day of just doing whatever. BUT if you are there rope drop to closing, I can definitely see how that would negatively impact your vacation.

I haven't stayed at GF, looking at renting points to stay next summer though :). My personal experience with the laundry at POR and POP was it cost $4/load (if I remember correctly). The facilities were right next to the pool, so it was nice to be able to throw laundry in and hang out in the pool till it was done (about 2 hours). I'm not sure if sending laundry out is an option, but I am sure someone here will know.

We ALWAYS do laundry at least once per trip; sometimes twice.
I can't stand dirty laundry in my suitcase for the trip home, so our last night, for certain, is a laundry night.

It also depends on if you are DVC or not as there is free laundry for members (if staying in a studio) and in room laundry if in a one bedroom or greater. It is a few dollars per load for both the washer and dryer. And don't forget about detergent (I use to bring along the purex laundry sheets as they packed real easy). Doing laundry halfway thru a trip definitely cuts down on luggage, but only if you have a "downtime" day where you have the time to do laundry.

I did laundry in our last two trips. Packed Pruex packs and dryer sheets. Was great coming home and tossing the clothes back in the dresser instead of down the chute

i do, usually about half way through. for us, it's cheaper to wash a load of clothes than it is to pay another baggage fee. it doesn't take long to do two loads (like 2 hours) and at POR the laundry is next to the quiet pools. kiddo can swim before bed, while i do the washing. i usually schedule a early night day in the middle of the vacation so we're back at the resort 2 hours before bedtime. we get laundry done and a nice rest from rushing about.

I do laundry, but my trips are 10-14 days. I don't know that I'd do it for 7 days.
At GF the laundry is on the first floor of each building. We were in Big Pine which is right next to the Courtyard Pool. We take mid day breaks so did our laundry while enjoying the pool in the afternoon.

Always do laundry midway through our stay. Its $2 each per load for the washer and dryer.Bring quarters (although some resorts are going to credit card only) and your own laundry soap (they do have single use detergents in a vending machine). We schedule a non park day, so I do laundry after breakfast and hang out at the pool. The laundry room never seems to be busy then and I will do 2 loads at once, so I'm finished in a little over an hour.

Doing it during an early afternoon break would work, too. The laundry rooms do tend to be a lot busier in the late afternoon and evening.

I don't think I would do it for 7 days. For me, the tipping point is around 12 days.

I do laundry half way through the vacation. We do something in the morning and have an early night to just relax in the room. I end up doing laundry around 6:00.

We had a little longer trip in August. We were there 16 days. I still only did laundry once. I packed an extra suitcase that for shorter trips. It was worth the baggage fee to not have to add a laundry day and it is so easy since Disney takes care of the bags.

Thank you, all, for your knowledge and tips. I didn't know that there were laundry facilities in each of the outer buildings. I will likely wake upon early one day and do a load to get us thorough.

We stayed at POFQ for 5 days in September. I hadn't planned on doing laundry but an unexpected rain while we were having lunch inside BOG soaked everything in our stroller. Day bag, sweatshirts, rain jackets, change of clothes, all were drenched. While the kids and my DH watched cartoons during our break back at the hotel, I threw everything in the dryer and enjoyed a beverage and some time alone by the pool.

The machines were cheap -less than $2 per load, as I recall. I don't think i'd plan to do laundry if I had enough clothing to avoid it but it was convenient and easy and it's nice to know the option is there if you run out of clothes (or get caught in a monsoon).

I have only done laundry once or twice and our trips are usually 10-14 days. I always stock up on socks and underwear before the trip. I would not be adverse to doing it, though (we stay at POR). It takes me a day and a half to get home so I just take my suitcase directly to the laundry room.:laundy:

since we've started going in late fall or winter instead of the spring, I do laundry about halfway thru our trip. We stay between 7-9 nights and the weather can be unpredictable so rather than paying for an extra bag for heavier clothes, I just do laundry. There's always a point where DH wants to go back and take a nap before dinner, so I just bring the laundry and my Kindle and sit by the pool and read!

I've done laundry twice during last vacation. While vacation laundry is a little bit fun for me...this is my shameful secret, having fun while doing laundry ;)

every single load for the washing machine I do not need to wash and iron after vacation is like a holiday-extension

:laundy::woohoo:

We do laundry at least 1x a trip. We might do it on our last full day, too, so we go home with clean clothes (less chores to do at home..).

Get up in the AM, throw the clothes in the washer, go back to the room, get ready, go throw them in the dryer, go eat breakfast, go fold the clothes and bring back to room. Head out for the day. Easy as pie!

We stayed 7 nights in Feb but didn't do any laundry. Next time we'll be there for 2 weeks so will have to.

We'll be at GF for 7 days. The only other trip we've done to WDW was for 4 days, so we just packed a lot of stuff and did laundry upon our return home. I have many pictures of our boys throughout the parks wearing shirts of questionable cleanliness ; )

I read that the resorts have laundry facilities. I'm curious if most of you use them for trips of 1 week's length, or do you just pack a heck of a lot of stuff. I really don't love the idea of spending half of a day doing laundry when I can be in a park with my family, but I also don't know if we have enough suitcase space for 7 days of clothing for various temperatures and conditions.

Can you have your laundry done for you? Is that even a thing? I do so much laundry at home every day that I really look forward to vacation and not having to do it! Also, how much do the machines cost? Or the service?

Thanks!

I've done laundry before. I don't always "plan" to do it, but sometimes it's necessary. At CSR, the laundry room is right next to the quiet pool, so hanging out at the pool with some laundry going was seriously NO big deal. Not sure where it's located at GF, however.

IMGP7078 by Ilivetogo toFL, on Flickr

IMGP7833 by Ilivetogo toFL, on Flickr

We'll be at GF for 7 days. The only other trip we've done to WDW was for 4 days, so we just packed a lot of stuff and did laundry upon our return home. I have many pictures of our boys throughout the parks wearing shirts of questionable cleanliness ; ) I read that the resorts have laundry facilities. I'm curious if most of you use them for trips of 1 week's length, or do you just pack a heck of a lot of stuff. I really don't love the idea of spending half of a day doing laundry when I can be in a park with my family, but I also don't know if we have enough suitcase space for 7 days of clothing for various temperatures and conditions. Can you have your laundry done for you? Is that even a thing? I do so much laundry at home every day that I really look forward to vacation and not having to do it! Also, how much do the machines cost? Or the service? Thanks!

If you were re-wearing with just a 4 day trip you're definitely going to need to wash for a 7 day trip. We do it during pool time if we aren't staying on our DVC points.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter