How many memory cards do you pack??

gracie1

DIS Veteran
After reading on another post about taking multiple memory cards (which I never thought of doing) I was curious as to how many do you take and what size?? I have a sony cybershot that I am taking this trip since it's smaller than my normal digital camera. I am going to buy an extra battery so one will be fully charged at all times.
But today I was going to order a 16gb memory card since it holds 5,085 pictures. Now I'm not certain I should do that?? Buying multiple cards would be more. So how many do you pack?

I've read that one reason people use more than 1 card is so that if a card goes bad (sorry, I don't know the technical terminology. lol) than at least you don't lose ALL of your pictures.

We take three 1GB cards.

hmmm, that is a good idea. I never thought about that. Atleast I wouldn't lose everything. I have a 1gb for the trip (I think they give you 200 pictures?) Maybe I will pick up three more and then we should be set!

I'm glad for the great advice:thumbsup2

I forgot to say we are going for 11 nights, so is 4 - 1gb memory cards enough? This is our first trip :lmao:

I always worry about having enough memory cards! This year we are going as part of a Grand Gathering. To resolve that worry I am taking my laptop to down load the pictures each ngiht. Additionally, (4) family members will have cameras - at least two of which have 1GB memory cards. My lan is to have them also download their pictures so that there is one central place where all teh pictures are. Then I can download them ALL onto thumb drives for everyone in the travel party.
I do like the theory of multiple cards because I have had a card "die" on me & I lost the pictures (thankfully NOT on a Disney trip). So more cards with smaller capacity sometimes is better.

After reading on another post about taking multiple memory cards (which I never thought of doing) I was curious as to how many do you take and what size?? I have a sony cybershot that I am taking this trip since it's smaller than my normal digital camera. I am going to buy an extra battery so one will be fully charged at all times.
But today I was going to order a 16gb memory card since it holds 5,085 pictures. Now I'm not certain I should do that?? Buying multiple cards would be more. So how many do you pack?

We have a 10mp Canon with an 8GB SD card. We took about 1,700 pics on the card last trip without filling it up. Highest quality/lowest compression settings too.

When we went to Puerto Rico w/our Sony (5mp) camera a few years ago, the highest capacity memory stick was 128mb. We took 7 memory sticks with us- each one only held about 60 pics.

It's great that storage has gotten so much cheaper! :)

Hi! On our last trip which was our first I used an 16gb and had a lot of space left. I ended up taking 1,900 something pictures. So if your a picture fanatic try getting a 16gb and you wont have to worry so much. Make sure you do take at least 3 batteries though. Another thing is for character pictures ask the CM or photographers to also use your camera to take photos this way you don't spend $15 for a 5 * 7 and the whole family gets in the picture. Have fun on vacation.princess:

Thanks for all the advice everyone. I was looking at getting the 16gb memory card because sony has a huge sale right now. Their regular $300 on sale for $100. But I think I will just get 3 of the 2gb cards and I have a 1 gb with nothing on it, plus an extra battery.
I personally would love to just do the 16gb card but if something happened to the card I would be so upset! I am not taking a laptop with me.

Or, I guess what I could do is get the 16gb card and download them onto a cd at the disney photo shop?? Has anyone done this, and if so, what is the cost? Would I have to get a different cd each time I went in or could I just pay to keep adding?

i was going to do this too because it was cheaper but i think that its better if you buy multipule ones at a smaller GB. i've read alot of times that it's safer if you take more because if you happen to lose one you dont lose all your pictures.

Thanks for all the advice everyone. I was looking at getting the 16gb memory card because sony has a huge sale right now. Their regular $300 on sale for $100. But I think I will just get 3 of the 2gb cards and I have a 1 gb with nothing on it, plus an extra battery.
I personally would love to just do the 16gb card but if something happened to the card I would be so upset! I am not taking a laptop with me.

Or, I guess what I could do is get the 16gb card and download them onto a cd at the disney photo shop?? Has anyone done this, and if so, what is the cost? Would I have to get a different cd each time I went in or could I just pay to keep adding?

Make sure you camera can support that much memory. My BIL bought a card but it was too big for his camera and he ending up selling it (to us :thumbsup2)

Depending on what camera you are using and how many photos you plan to take. I usually take the lightest slr digital camera I have - an older canon rebel and two 8gb cards. Shooting RAW that will get me about 1600 shots.
It is better to have more than you need so put an extra card in your bag just in case.

Thanks for all the advice everyone. I was looking at getting the 16gb memory card because sony has a huge sale right now. Their regular $300 on sale for $100...

It's too bad that Sony is still overcharging for their proprietary memory sticks. That was one of the reasons I went with Canon for my latest camera. I bought an 8GB Sandisk SD/HC memory card for $20. Sony's are still way more...

I cant make a strong enough case that the SIZE OF THE PHOTOS impacts your memory greatly. For our last trip we went a week and did not fill up 2mb. Our trip last year (larger pics) i used 3 cards. Make sure, unless you want them to be huge, high quality, photos, that you size your photos appropriately.

We take 1 card per camera plus 1 spare card. We do take our laptop though and download all our pictures each day. Then on the flight home I go through the pictures, put the ones I want to display at home on the spare card which when I get back home goes straight into the digital photo frame.

We made a CD at the camera shop right inside Epcot. It was about $15 for one CD. Not my plan but I took more pictures than expected... :confused3

Next time I will definately bring more cards.:thumbsup2

We made a CD at the camera shop right inside Epcot. It was about $15 for one CD. Not my plan but I took more pictures than expected... :confused3

Next time I will definately bring more cards.:thumbsup2

That's not bad, $15! Do you pay for the cd and then download throughout the trip or do you have to pay each time you download onto the cd?

On the point of Sony card costs, they have them pretty cheap on amazon.com. I am helping my mom buy a camera and was looking at the Sony Cybershot and the accessories on amazon were much cheaper on amazon. The 8GB Sony is $60 at Best Buy, but you can get one 8GB SanDisk for $30, or two 4 gb Sony for under $30.

For our honeymoon at Disney in January we will bring two 4 gb, a 2gb and our laptop (just in case :laughing:)

On the point of Sony card costs, they have them pretty cheap on amazon.com. I am helping my mom buy a camera and was looking at the Sony Cybershot and the accessories on amazon were much cheaper on amazon. The 8GB Sony is $60 at Best Buy, but you can get one 8GB SanDisk for $30, or two 4 gb Sony for under $30.

For our honeymoon at Disney in January we will bring two 4 gb, a 2gb and our laptop (just in case :laughing:)

Thank you!! I don't know why amazon slipped my mind! Wow, are the prices much cheaper! I think I will order a 4gb and a 2gb for the rip, and I have a 1 gb already!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter