How many hours do you have in on planning your trips!

SDTeaGirl

Mouseketeer
I booked our trip on May 7th for Dec 4-15! I can't believe how many hours and time I have in on the planning!
First book offsite- then booked onsite changed resorts- added DDP- purchased tickets, made ADR's-
Researched and researched information on here- since I am a newbie and first time ever to go to DW was last yr- had no clue there was character dining, CRT, didn't know about F! little alone the Dining package- All I can say is last yr we had NO CLUE what we where doing! LOL- this yr MAJOR different story!!!

This yr :
Booked Character dining, F! Dining Package, CP dining package, made ADR's
Figured which parks what days!
Bought PP+

Oh my I could go on and on. I just can't believe what information is on these boards and the willing people to help answer your dumb and weird questions when a person has no clue what they are doing! So excited for this trip!

I have probably spent days and maybe weeks of hours planning this trip! LOL:hourglass:teacher::cool1:

I suppose that when it comes to trip planning, the amount of time you spend on it - the sky's the limit.

I spend very little time on advance planning my WDW trips compared to other trips that we take. But that comes from having gone so many times in the past. Here's an estimated breakdown from our last trip:

1. Ask DH if he'd like to go to WDW in the spring. Discuss dates, length of stay, which resort: 10 minutes.
2. Check for special offers. Nothing yet. Call CRO and book resort with CAA discount: 15 min.
3. Check for special offers after reading about them on the Dis. Call CRO and have discount applied to existing reservation and extend stay an extra couple of days: 30 min.
4. Check easywdw.com for crowd predictions. Plan which park which day and non park days. Plan ADRs for each day: 2 hours (I tend to dither a bit on these).
5. Make ADRs on my 180 day: 15 min (I called right at 7am)
6. Order tickets from UT: 10 min.
7. Print cheat sheets from easywdw.com: 15 min (had a paper jam).
8. Call and book behind the scene tour: 20 min.

That's about it. So less than 4 hours total, spread out over 3 or 4 months. The more you do something, the easier and faster it gets.

The first thing I got when we were "thinking" of going to WDW was "The Unofficial Guide to WDW" Boy did that open the gates. I have spent pretty much my entire 8 hours at work as well as 3 hours at home every day for the past month planning this trip and it's only a 5 day trip! Most of the research has been which parks to hit when since we want to experience all four. We're doing 2 days at MK and 1 each day at the other three parks. We don't know if we will ever go again (plan is to go whenever a kid turns 5 for his/her bday, only have one son and yes we are going when he turns five in Dec. I want four more kids but it's up to God, so dont know if we'll ever go again for that reason). So we are trying to experience all the good stuff in those 5 days. Candlelight processional, Fantasmic, Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party, Cinderella's Royal Table, all the parades, fireworks, castle lighting etc. Then I have poured over every single attraction and we have come up with 5 star attractions/rides that we WILL see (if they're not closed), 4 star attractions we really really want to see and 3 star attractions we will see if we have time. If we have more time we will go back and do 5 star attractions again. So far we have only covered Epcot and Hollywood Studios and Animal Kingdom attractions. That took a week just for those since I do them with the husband. I still have to try to decipher where those fall on the touring guides at the back of that book since apparently lines get full for different ones at different times etc.

Obsessing about which days to go to which park took a large part of my time as well. Consulted touringplans site as well as easywdw site and then also asked the mom's panel on the disney website. Touringplans and easywdw matched so that's what I finally settled on.

Third major chunk of time went into ADRs. With enough persistence we have scored ADRs to every single thing we wanted to hit. Akershus, Chef Mickey's, Crystal Palace, Tusker House and going back and forth between Ohana and 1900 park fare for the fifth one, but got these all for super early times so we can enter before park opens and be done eating by rope drop. Plus those breakfasts cover 90% of the characters my son loves so will save time by skipping character meets. Lunch and Dinner were harder to a) decide upon, since my parents have completely different tastes from me and I have completely different tastes from my husband. Husband is a meat and potatoes guy, I am a chicken and fish girl, parents are veggies, fruits and water people. I am a healthy eater, but my parents are suuuuuuuuper healthy eaters. b) my parents are only visiting the parks for 3 days so had to juggle those reservation numbers since they couldn't decide which three days they wanted to visit, they finally told me last night. Last night was a victory because I finally scored a Be Our Guest dinner at the time I wanted yesterday after checking multiple times everyday. So I had to pour over every menu with my husband, make sure that location was on site (breakfast was the exception) AND make sure there were things my parents would enjoy. Then I had to find reservations for those exact restaurants at the exact times we are planning to eat since we are only eating 2 main meals a day. Breakfast and a "supper" at 4pm.

So looks like other than pouring over all the attractions in MK, we are at the end of the planning. Only planning left is clothing since it can get to the low 50s and possibility of rain. Oh and we are on the Deluxe DP atm so going over the snack credits list on these forums (oh so thankful for this list btw!) and need to figure that out with husband. But yeah that's "all" lol.

I have never planned this much for anything in my life including when we got married (eloping = zero planning required LOL).

Some of the resources that helped my OCD planning nature are disneyfoodblog/touristblog, **************, allears, mousesavers and reading tripadvisor forums and reviews on restaurants/resorts, in case you were looking to spend more time planning ;)

Who knows when we get there maybe we'll just sleep in and say "screw the plan" (we better not.... or this will be me :scared1:)

Omg I must spend like every hour I have to spare planning or learning about my trip as soon as I get the idea.

It's all worth it in the end. <3

Katie

My son will b 5 at the end of the month and since he was born i have been telling my DH that our first trip to WDW would be when he turns 5. we are planning our trip in november - super excited. My husband keeps asking me why I am still looking at all these resources - I must have our vacation planned by now. I tried to explain to him that each day I learn something new about the parks plus, I enjoy it. I don't think he understands.

Saralew said:
My son will b 5 at the end of the month and since he was born i have been telling my DH that our first trip to WDW would be when he turns 5. we are planning our trip in november - super excited. My husband keeps asking me why I am still looking at all these resources - I must have our vacation planned by now. I tried to explain to him that each day I learn something new about the parks plus, I enjoy it. I don't think he understands.

We had the 5 yr plan too! It's actually come quicker then I'd like. We go on our twins 5th birthday in Feb!

Sent from my Samsung S3 using DISBoards

Our trip is hypothetical, and it's not even til next November/December, and I spend at LEAST a half an hour a day trying to get prices together that aren't even out yet. :lmao:

Our trip is hypothetical, and it's not even til next November/December, and I spend at LEAST a half an hour a day trying to get prices together that aren't even out yet. :lmao:

Thank goodness I'm not the only one. We are waiting to close on a DVC resale and I've already "planned" the next 3 yrs worth of trips. Lol.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter