How many drove home? What were you charged?

C.Ann

<font color=green>We'll remember when...<br><font
Was in DW from 9/9 to 9/22.. Son-in-law is afraid of flying anyhow so after the attacks he decided we would keep the rental car and drive all the way back to New York - 1,325 miles.. How many others did the same? We were EXTREMELY pleased with National Rental Car.. They charged us NO mileage, No drop-off charge and were as helpful as can be. The only additional charge was the extra one-day rental of $22.. How did you fare with other rental car companies? I say, "Hats off to National! You have customers for life!!" :)

Our flight on Sept 13th back home was cancelled, and Delta was uncertain when we would be flying out of there..so we drove our rental car home. The car was from Dollar Rent A Car and I have high praise for them, they did an excellent job and let us keep the car for two more days with the same rate of $27 a day and no drop off fee at our airport...There was so many rental cars from Florida and other states on the road, I guess a lot of folks decided to just drive home instead of fly even when they did fly again...Glad you made out well too...Dollar and Delta get high marks from me on good customer service and caring about their passengers.....

We were scheduled to fly home to San Antonio from LAX on Sept 12. We had a rental car with National from the 4th of September. We spent one extra night with friends, to see if LAX would open. We left California on the 13th and arrived in SAT on the 14th. National only charged us the extra days (and I had a great rate), so for the 11 full days we had the car we paid $184, tax and all. Thank you National :earsboy:

We were at WDW also and cut our trip short to drive 1500 miles home. We too went thru National and as others have said, National was the absolute BEST!!!!!!! I felt SOOOOOO bad for their employees as people were TERRIBLE towards them. We went in on the 11th to make arrangements at the car care center on WDW property. People were screaming at them, beligerant with them, and totally uncooperative with them. THEY HAD NO CARS!!!! They were trying to shuttle people, drivers only to MCO. People would not listen to what they were saying. Everyone wanted their whole party to go too. I waited in line for almost an hour to take care of our business and witnessed the hostility towards the employees. But they still did their best. They are our heros in our nations time of need. They have made us their life long customers too. American airlines on the other hand........ they absolutely did not want to give a refund for our unused return tickets. There is still no credit on our credit card. They were rude, the woman yelled at me, and told me how lucky I was that SHE was a generous person and was going to credit us for 1/2 our flight as this was not their fault and did not feel we were entitled to anything. :mad: And you know what? We will NEVER EVER fly again with them, EVER!!!!! GOD BLESS AMERICA, we still have the freedom of choice!

My family didn't do so well. We had rented our car from Alamo while at WDW. After the attacks we decided to drive home and Alamo didn't have a location near our hometown. We had to use a different rental car place. The best rate we could find was through Budget at $70/day for a compact. We spent 3 days driving home, of course, we took our time because we had our 4 yr old with us and didn't want to keep her in the car all day. I've been wondering how others made out.

I was scheduled to fly home (Cleveland) from Ft. Myers 09/15. I also had my rental thru National. I was told to keep it & bring it back here. We rolled in the driveway about 21 hours after departing. I actually had the car more than the one extra day (about 2 hours longer), but every fee was waived save for a one-day charge.... My total was $15 more than the expected Florida rental.

I called & sent email immediately thanking National for stepping in and doing such amazing things that they had no obligation to do whatsoever.

Brenda

(copied from another post)

I do not recommend trying to drive home in a rental car if there are stiff mileage charges or drop off charges or even the high daily rate they quote to anyone walking up to the counter without a reservation.

If the car rental agency doesn't have an office in your city, you might try driving the family home and then the family member authorized to drive returns the rental car to the nearest office with someone else trailing in the family car (or returns the car and takes a bus back).

More Disney tips:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/disney.htm

9/65 Disneyland
3/75 (World Inn* off I4 near DD)
4/85 (Kon-Tiki* on 192)
'80s Disneyland once or twice
7/94 PORiv
9/97 ASMu
11/98 ASMu
12/98 (Knights Inn on 192)
9/99 ASMo
12/00 ASSp
9/01 ASSp
11/01 ASSp still planned
*no longer exists

We too were scheduled to fly out of MCO on September 12th on Usairways. In one day, they cancelled us twice and put us on 2 different flights on 2 different days. Confused? So were we. We decided to rent a car. Called a couple that didn't even have cars. One wanted to charge us almost 500.00 for a 2 day rental to drive from FL to PA. Then I called National. They were great! We paid 130.00 for the rental which included a car seat rental and an extra driver fee.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter