• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How many days?

coachlevy

Mouseketeer
I am planning a California trip with my family (DS, 9 and DD, 6) and Disneyland is our final stop. How many days do we need? is 2 full days enough? Kids have been to WDW at least once a year since they were born so we can definitely skip some rides. Thanks!

Personally, I'd do at minimum 3 days, especially since your youngest is not old enough to use the single rider lines. Think of it this way... you are attempting to cram going to (and doing the same number of attractions as) the equivalent of ALL 4 WDW parks into two days. Granted, park hopping is much easier, but it's still just a measure of how much time you have in a day.

If you want to go to DCA and Disneyland you want 3 days.

You also shouldn't plant to skip anything, because even if it has the same name the rides are different and if you are a WDW regular you will enjoy seeing the difference. Don't let your WDW experience make you miss out on vintage Disney!

Yeah, I agree that the minimum is three--but even then, that would probably be three all-day days. Four would give you more breathing room for some sit-down or character meals, repeating favorite rides, etc. (My kids always want to do everything, and we never manage to--even on the 7-day trips we've taken--but that's in part because they love time at the pool, too, and they want to ride their favorite rides more than once. Admittedly, I suffer from the same "Do it again!" syndrome as they do--which is why DD9 and I once road Splash Mountain three times in a row without getting off right before midnight.:)

I'll take it a step further and say 5 days! We always go for 6 in the summer with our AP. This past summer we went for 10 park days (and two resort days) at WDW. So you can see we love it at either place and stay as long as possible.

Don't skip rides just because you've done them at WDW. Even the same ride is different. POTC and IASW are different and I think better at DL. I liked WDW HM slightly better, but see that's fun too, is to see the different versions. I would say Star Tours and Soarin are exactly same so you could miss those if need be. (And ST at WDW has a much shorter line!)

We also take a nap in the afternoons and come back for evenings so 5 days allows you to do that. DLR packs in the rides and shows in smaller area and everything is available to you everyday. Not like WDW where you are limited to the few rides at that park for the time being unless you decide to take another hour or so to go to a different park.

We are probably a little extreme, but that's why I'm on the DisBoards. :)

I agree with 3. Maybe we're weird but we are pretty pooped out after that! It's enough time to see everything at least once and your favorites a couple of times!

I am planning a California trip with my family (DS, 9 and DD, 6) and Disneyland is our final stop. How many days do we need? is 2 full days enough? Kids have been to WDW at least once a year since they were born so we can definitely skip some rides. Thanks!

WDW and DLR are very different places, and most rides with the same name are somewhat--and in a couple of cases totally--different. If you skip them, you'll be skipping part of the uniqueness of Disneyland. Pirates, for example, is far more elaborate and twice as long, and Space Mountain is a completely different ride.

Two full days is really not enough. The rule of thumb on here is at least four. There are as many rides and things to do in DLR's two parks as there are in WDW's four parks put together--the Anaheim parks are much denser than anything at WDW. You might want to take a look at the DLR Guide for WDW Vets, it explains a lot of the differences: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1162599

I agree on 3- get park hoppers to make the most of the time. Unlike WDW, the california version is in walking distance of many hotels, plus it is easy to walk back and forth between parks.We stay at a close hotel. Arrive when the park opens- get in a few hours, head back to the hotel for naps, pool time, and go back in in the evening. Dedicate a full day to each park and one day to go back and forth... you should have time to do all of your favorites!
have fun

For me 4 days would be my minimum as this would give enough time to see the shows and parades and then to do your favourite rides again and visit the stores. My first trip we went for 6 days and the next trip it will be 4 as a minimum. Thinking about it 5 is probably the ultimate. When we visited WDW we went to the parks for 6 full days, but also visited the water parks and this wasn't enough time:sad2: Oh well; seems that we will have to go back - what a shame :lmao:

Have a great time! :goodvibes

Just did 4 days at the parks and I think that is more than enough. We got to ride the attractions at least once and had time to shop at downtown Disney and the stores inside the parks.

Can't seem to edit my above post, but:

We got hoppers too so jumping between parks was really useful. Like another use mentioned, we went in the morning for a few hours, then head back to the hotel in the afternoon to beat the heat. Then we go back to the parks at 4 or 5 when it is cooler.

Have fun!

Some friends and I just did two "marathon" (open to close) days at Disneyland with a beach day in between and were surprised by how much we got done! Four or five days would be perfect for a relaxed family trip, but if you use fastpasses and drink lots of Starbucks :coffee: you can make even the shortest of trips FABULOUS! pixiedust:Have fun!

Personally, I would do at least 3. Though these days, I'm much happier with 4-5 days.

As others have said, don't skip things just because they are also at WDW. The only thing I can think of that is EXACTLY the same would be Soarin'.

We just went for two days (one day each park) and it wasn't enough! There were a lot of rides at DL that we didn't have time to do, or only one of us adults got to do (parent swap w/ our twin toddlers). At CA, we did pretty much everything we wanted to do, but felt like we were really rushing it. Next time we go, I'd like to have 3 or 4 days so that we aren't so rushed and can really enjoy the atmosphere.

If you aren't planning on comming back this way for a while, three days minimum... One day at each park, and one day park hopping.
Honestly though, if you don't mind missing some good shows, parades, and rides, two days is a nice taste of Disney. Just avoid lines and playgrounds, and go with the mindset that you are just there to gave fun.
If you want to see absolutely everything, you need four+ days. I go weekly and there are still things I have not done or seen. I am not sure if it is possible to do absolutely everything...

Honestly, we got 5 day passes our first 2 trips and are planning the same for December and we still leave feeling like we missed things. For instance, last year we couldn't find time to squeeze in Aladdin and totally regret it. There is just so much to see and do (and see and do AGAIN) that time just flies by. I would go a minimum of 3-4 days and if you really want to make sure you see and do it all, go for 5.

We like a minimum of four days. We love the first few hours after rope drop to get as many rides done as possible. Then we can relax the rest of the day and just wander around taking pictures, snacking, riding less busy attractions, people watching and just enjoying the atmosphere. Four days allows us to rope drop each park two times.

We like a minimum of four days. We love the first few hours after rope drop to get as many rides done as possible. Then we can relax the rest of the day and just wander around taking pictures, snacking, riding less busy attractions, people watching and just enjoying the atmosphere. Four days allows us to rope drop each park two times.

This is what we do, and we have annual passes.

As many as you can afford. Seriously! 5 is ideal, 4 is doable, 3 leaves me wanting more.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter