• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How many days at Disney versus Universal

If we bought a one day park to park ticket at Universal and decided to come back the next day, could we easily "upgrade" to a two day or would we have to purchase a whole new one?
I'll start here- yes. At WDW, you can't add days to a ticket that is fully used. If you buy a 4 day ticket, and go to MK for four days, then you can upgrade it on day 4, but not on day five. (that's a very short explanation for brevity). I'm not sure the details of US, but if you wish to make a one day into a two day ticket- I suggest doing it ON the day same day you use it. If nothing else, ticket lines are longest in the morning.

You say this is your first trip to WDW, so I think it bears saying, WDW is huge! If you spend the whole trip at WDW, you'll find PLENTY to keep you bust the entire time. Just so you are informed, splitting your time is going to cost quite a bit extra, has time trade-offs, and you won't come close to seeing all that either place has to offer.

I say this as someone who has done many split vacations in FL. I think they are great, but we know WDW and US very well. We often swap hotels, but it does cost some time. WDW and US are about half an hour apart, and that doesn't count rush hour traffic. If you want to arrive early, you'll probably be driving at rush hour. On swap day, we try to get up and out as early as possible!

For years, we only did WDW or US trips, because of the added cost. One potential cost is transportation. WDW has ME for free, but you'll pay to get to US, and US to the airport. If you have 5 day WDW tickets, then adding day six and seven is only about $15 per day per person.

One day isn't enough time to see all of MK or Epcot. You can see most of HS and AK in one day. It is especially tricky to fit in all of the shows, parades, and fireworks. I'm also assuming you are all relatively fit, and able to endure long days on your feet. Many folks can't do seven full park days in a row.

If your daughter is in college, then you may well be planning your trip over a holiday period, when all the parks are at their busiest, unless you are thinking about mid-January. (non- MLK, Jr. Weekend) During Christmas or spring break, it becomes very hard to see all.

I'll also add....in the past few years, US has seen a considerable uptick. The newest additions are all big draws. Expect that each could have 60-90 min waits. Before Diagon Alley, it was much easier to cover two parks in one day.

Time is very subjective. I mean, it is possible to have fun running through an area like Diagon Alley without stopping to see any of the details, but most folks prefer a slower pace. No matter how you slice your seven days, you won't be able to see everything.

Last edited:
Two days Universal and at least one per Disney park, usually 2 for Magic Kingdom/EPCOT

If you spend the whole trip at WDW, you'll find PLENTY to keep you bust the entire time. Just so you are informed, splitting your time is going to cost quite a bit extra, has time trade-offs, and you won't come close to seeing all that either place has to offer.

Yes, unfortunately that's true. We'll be staying the whole time on Disney property and take a taxi or uber to US. I don't know if/when we would ever get back to Florida, so we have to include Harry Potter at Universal! We will be going towards the end of January when it's slower even though my daughters will have to miss classes...hopefully the professors will be forgiving.

If you want to arrive early, you'll probably be driving at rush hour.
How much extra time should we add? I definitely want to be there at rope drop.

Honestly, it's really subjective how much time you need (as you can see by the replies). I am an HP fanatic and I know that 1 day is not enough. I take people's advice into account, but I will always do what I want to in the end. :)

hopefully the professors will be forgiving.

How much extra time should we add? I definitely want to be there at rope drop.

Oh, mine weren't.

I can't say I'm a super expert in Orlando rush hour. I think it varies quite a bit. The main artery is I-4, the alternates all have many traffic lights. If there is an accident on I-4, traffic crawls.

We rent a car to have it all week. No need to drive at US at all, but we like having a car at WDW.

Timing depends a bit where you are staying. Pure drive time WDW to US- no traffic- is about 30min. At US, there's: check-in, giving bags to bell services, getting your Express passes from the kiosk, getting tot he parks, bag check, and a line at the gate. You can check-in early in the morning, but your room probably won't be ready. So there are quite a few variables at play. At US, each of the above is usually very quick, but y'know, sometimes all it takes is one idiot!

The three deluxe hotels US hotels are close to the parks, but there's some variability, including the security check, and line at the gate.

We usually allow an hour before US rope drop (actually leaving WDW), and usually enter the park about 15-20min after RD. At US, the important thing is mostly to be there before they let the general public enter. I'm not a fan of standing outside an unopened gate. If being right at RD is your goal, then allow at least 90 minutes.

We were at WDW this April and we did 5 days at WDW and 2 days at Universal. One day each park at Universal even without express pass was more than enough time to do everything we wanted to do. Just make sure you are there at rope drop and give plenty of time to go though the security check eventhough it was very quick. Make sure to get the park hopper so that you can ride the Hogwarts Express. My son didn't want to buy the park hopper because he didn't think it was worth the little extra but I insist on it and he was glad we did. It was very unexpected and surprise ride. Do Harry Potter Lands first thing in the morning because it gets really crowded in the afternoon. We stayed at Pop and took uber for both days and it was about $15 each way.

Was that with or without tip? And if you did tip how much?

My preferred minimum is 1 full day per park, whether we are talking Disney or Universal. Of course, I love extra bonus days, too! I could visit Hogwarts every day.

thanks for all the helpful info. I guess I could have googled it but I didn't know US and MK were so far apart. I think I would send everyone to the parks early and do the check'in myself if we switched hotels. Then they get full park time and I get a few sanity minutes. :)... I thought I read somewhere that mears offers some sort of hotel switch service if you are coming or going between the 2.

Hello,

This will be our first trip ever to Disney World (Mom and 21 & 18 year old daughters). We are huge Disney fans. We have seven days in January planned and are allocating one day per park at Disney. We know we also want to do Universal (both parks). At Universal, our priorities are Harry Potter, Simpsons, Jurassic Park, Kong, ET, Mummy, Spiderman, and maybe Hulk (only one of us is a thrill ride person). We were hoping to do Universal in one day since we will be staying on Disney property.

My question is would you plan on 6 days at Disney and 1 at Universal, or 5 days at Disney and 2 at Universal?

Thanks!
Thanks for asking such a great question! We sure loved your thread and decided to feature it on today's edition of the DIS Daily Fix! :)

I'd rather stay at Disney all 7 days. If you really want to go to Universal you should do 5 & 2. I'd personally repeat Magic Kingdom.

There is a ton to do at every park. You have plenty of days and are going to be tired by the end of the trip. No real need to cram both universal parks into 1 day.

You could also go 4 days disney, 2 days universal and throw SeaWorld into the mix. There are some decent coasters there too.

Thanks for asking such a great question! We sure loved your thread and decided to feature it on today's edition of the DIS Daily Fix! :)

Oh my!!!! My daughter (21) started screaming when she saw this! You all are "famous" to us! Thanks for all your hard work! Great job Oliver on trying to say my name correctly.

thanks for all the helpful info. I guess I could have googled it but I didn't know US and MK were so far apart. I think I would send everyone to the parks early and do the check'in myself if we switched hotels. Then they get full park time and I get a few sanity minutes. :)... I thought I read somewhere that mears offers some sort of hotel switch service if you are coming or going between the 2.

This won't work, because you get your express pass at the hotel and each person needs to have his/her picture taken for the express pass.

FWIW, we did 2 days at Universal and it was really crowded at rope drop. There is only one thing open for early entry and everyone is headed there so it's not the same as rope drop at Disney. I think even if you got there later, with Express Pass you can get everything done. The HP area does get less crowded in the evening.

I'd do 5 and 2.

3 days at Universal is my max (I'm a big Harry Potter nerd so that takes up an entire day), but you definitely need at least 2 just to see and do everything that you want to.

We just did 2 nights offsite (arrival day, discovery cove, sea world), 2 nights universal at RPR, and now at disney for 4 nights. Really, it wasn't enough time at Universal. We could spend half a day alone at Diagon Alley. It is incredible. My daughter is 21, was "chosen" at Olivanders so of course we bought the wand, and spent hours doing the spells. At 21! She saw some students who go to her same university, and they all had wands! RPR is wonderful. Disney has been good, but by doing EMM yesterday and today (yesterday at MK, today at HS, we finished the parks by 2 pm. So based on your kids interests, I am in the minority on planning more time at Universal.

Also, my daughters suggestion, do Universal after Disney. Which is what we normally did, but it didn't work out that way this year. After Universal, the theming at Disney seems a little lackluster. But again, it all depends on your families interests. For younger children, more time at MK is likely needed.

We've tried to do universal in 1 day, it was not enough, even in September with hardly any lines. We are doing 2, maybe 3, since we got the Undercovertourist buy 2 get 3 ticket. I'd say do 5/2.

On my last trip, we did 5/2 and I thought it was really nice. I hate rushing through the parks and UO has some really cool rides and lands that you'll want to spend time looking at. I could've honestly spent ALL day in both Harry Potter lands, they're incredible. My dad has never seen or read HP and even loved it. You probably don't need TOO much time in Simpsons land, but they do have a couple rides that are fun and well themed. ET and Spider Man are iconic. I suggest getting to US right when it opens and hitting Gringott's first (best ride I think I've ever done) and then take the train to Hogsmeade to ride Escape from Hogwarts, THEN explore because those 2 rides can have incredible wait times. Let me know if you have any more questions!

Also, my daughters suggestion, do Universal after Disney. Which is what we normally did, but it didn't work out that way this year. After Universal, the theming at Disney seems a little lackluster. But again, it all depends on your families interests. For younger children, more time at MK is likely needed.

My family is older (I'm almost 22, sister is 27, then parents are both 53) and they thought the same thing. I love both, I'm a Disney Freak so anything Disney I love nut Universal has a lot of cool IPs that make for great rides. Also, besides being a Disney Freak I am a Harry Potter FREAK, so I could live in Diagon Alley and Hogsmeade.

We stayed at Portofino Bay and actually drove to Disney every time we went to save money and it took about 25-30 minutes, but we went around 11am probably. At night, it wasn't too bad either. If you did switch to a Universal Hotel, you would get the free express passes would help cut down wait times DRAMATICALLY.

I agree but don't go thinking Express Pass means walk on.

For us this week, express pass was pretty much walking on. We waited more with our FP+ this week, but overall very comparable to how both systems shorten the lines. And crowds have been pretty bad, both US and Disney.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter