How many choices do you get?!

I would feel funny ordering 2 of something or asking for something else, just shy I guess. If you guys are sure you can do this I will try it....great opportunity to try something that you are not sure you would like. Buuuttt, now there's someone on here saying, no, you can't do this. I would be embarassed if I got up my nerve to ask for 2 things and was told no.

So, any recent cruisers? Can you tell us if you can order whatever you want still?

We cruised in January.....if you are unsure and don't want to be too assuming, just tell your server you are having a difficult time choosing between 2 appetizers and see if he/she offers to bring both. I'd try this tactic the first or second night......you certainly don't want to wait until the cruise is almost over and find out you missed out! If they don't offer, I'd push for it another night. I find it hard to believe that they are limiting food....that is one of the hallmarks of cruising. :D

No other poster to the board has said that they have had my experience re only ordering 1 item from each course so I am forced to conclude that this was an individual quirk of my server.
Has any one else been told what to put in the evaluations? see my previous post on this thread. Anyway, I'm going to try Voyager of the Sea next March so I can compare 2 cruise lines because so far we have only sailed Disney.

UKBORN,

When you cruise Voyager, just be sure to eat, eat and eat!!! I'll be interested in seeing your comparisons when you return.

Since it seems you can order as much as you want.... can you order 2 desserts and take one to the cabin as a late night snack if you don't want to leave your room??

Everyone in my serving team gave the "excellent evaluation solicitation" (sort of a firm request/begging) on the last night. Although they were great, I thought this to be very tacky. Most people who have to ask for praise don't deserve it. I am all for extra tipping and special mention in evaluations when deserved, but one should not ask for it.

RE: All you can eat - - I noticed some people order several entrees and desserts each, but they left most of it uneaten. No wonder much of the world views Americans as excessive wasters of food and resources (Yes, I am American). It's fine to ask for something else if you don't like your meal, to have two desserts, or to request a plate full of your favorite item, etc. But if a lot of DCL cruisers ordered far more than they could ever eat, I can't criticize DCL for drawing the line somewhere. No one will go hungry on DCL or any other cruise line.

Here is something to laugh at. Our teen son told us in Common Grounds they were explaining where the left over food went. The food was ground up and feed to the--we cut him off and said, Oh they feed the teens with it? The adults laughed so hard it hurt. He chuckled and said he better go because the adults were out of control, he was already finished with dinner.

The ground up food scraps are feed to the fish was what he was told. The left over dishes never served are what the crew eat. I don't know if this is true but sounds like it is.

On the 3/16 cruise you could order whatever you wished and I can not eat wheat and that was handled perfectly with wheat containing food left off my plate and I ok'd the substituted food. Now on our very first DCL cruise back in '99 we were told only one and if we didn't like it they would bring something else. We found out on this board that that was our servers not DCL policy. So the next cruise we ordered completely different and came away from the table not feeling hunger as we had on our 1st DCL cruise. Kathy:D

Re providing the name of the server-perhaps there would be repercussions for him if I did, so if you want to e-mail me privately then I would be happy to tell you.

Originally posted by tecdavidt

The ground up food scraps are feed to the fish was what he was told.

Actually, no. Cruise ships aren't allowed to discharge anything into the ocean anymore, including food scraps. This <i>used</i> to be common practice, and people would notice seagulls and dolphins following the ship for days after leaving port... they were scavenging the ship's "leavings". But this is no longer allowed.

On the Jan cruise I was on our server Atiila from hungary would bring as a many items as you asked for he always told us if anything was not excellent let him know and he would change it even if he had to 3 times he would change it . We ordered dessert after we ate . BUT HE WAS VERY INSISTANT WE MARK EVERYTHING EXCELLENT FOR THE DINING ROOM OR IT WOULD REFLECT ON HIM . If we did not think the food was excellent Taste or even if it was just not what we liked so we wrote good or poor he said it would reflect on him and the fact that he did not change the dinner to something we did like .I don't know if this was true but he told us this everynight so i felt I had to write excellent even though I woyuld have given it just a good .

Dave, I was told in January about the grinding up of food and discharging it also, however, what you said makes sense (well, duh, of course it does, this is Dave we're talking about ;) ) I spent a lot of time on secret deck 7 (aka heaven) and it struck me odd that I never saw anything following us, if that were the case. Do you think they just like to tell the story to get a reaction from all us cruisers? Hmmmm...:rolleyes:

Somebody needs to inform the common grounds person. I did think it sounded a little iffy but then you just never know. I like feeding the teens idea myself :D . Kathy

This brings back such memories! Our servers were so insistent on the word "Excellent" when referring to anything in the dining room. He asked around the table how things were and if someone didn't reply "Excellent" he would insist the "problem" be changed immediately (whether it be a new appetizer, entree, dessert, drink, service...) My kids would love to have fun with that and say "Great" or "Wonderful" just to get a reaction. He was a gem! It does reflect on their evaluations for future contracts or promotions. Our guy wanted to get promoted to Palos and those "Excellent" evaluations would help him with that prospect. I can't wait to go again (3 more months!!!)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter