How many choices do you get?!

kellyb2000

<font color=green>I admit it...my username is bori
I hate to sound like a big fat pig, BUT just how many selections can you pick when you are in the restaurants?! I have read plenty of stories now on these type of boards where you have a couple of appetizers and even an extra entre just in case you didn't like one - I never realized you could do that!!! My picky husband would have loved this option! I was scared they would charge you for anything extra (I didn't even get a coke the first night because I thought they would charge you for it if you didn't have your mug) This kind of situation never came up at our whole table. We all ordered one of each and that was it. Do they accomodate for things like this? Does it not suprise anyone (your server) for people to do this? Do they suggest that you try more than one?(they didn't do that to anyone at our table) The only thing our server did out of his way(for us) was get my husband some iceberg lettuce off the hamburger stand when he learned he didn't like the green leafy lettuce. Of course this was our first cruise and we didn't say too much. That's our fault. Come September, though, I will know better and we will be eating like pigs!

I was told that you can *eat what you like*. So.. just so I understand.. you were wanting to order a couple of different entrees each? Just in case you didn't like one of them? (sorry if I sound daft :D )

Sandie

Oh no!!!! you really "missed the boat"......excuse the pun.....you can order whatever you want off the menus!!!!

Every night I had two appetizers, the entree and no dessert. I like apps better than dessert. My teen son who's 17 orderd a whole plate of just chicken wings one night (wings were the app. but all he wanted was wings) so the server brough him out a huge plate of just wings. DCL will go over and above to make you happy. If you do not like your food, just ask and they will bring you something else. They truly are trying to please you.

We always followed the server recommendations and were never sorry, but we also tried other things on the menus too. They are so accommodating. All soft drinks are complimentary in the dining rooms.

Keep in mind for next time!!!!!

I just want to make sure I get the most for my bucks (wink, wink) and if this was an option, then heck yeah, I might try it all!!!

Good to know, Mmouse37!!! My dh is a wings hound. If he thought he could order a big plate of wings.. they'd be his in a flash. I wouldn't even think to ask these things. That's what is so great about these boards.. the information is invaluable. My April cruise is gonna be sooooooooooooooooooo good!

:)

One thing I have learned this time around is to do some research!! The only thing I looked at before our last cruise was my brochure and DCL home page. Compared to something like this - they don't inform you near as much!!

My wife and I were surprised by the number of people who didn't realize that the cruises are basically an "all you can eat" type of deal. We ordered many appetizers, dinners and desserts. Our server was great because he knew we would do this and would just put togther plates full of entres for us. It was a running joke with our server. Each night he would go through all the entres and appetizers and then come back a few minutes later and say "ATTACK!!!". And attack we did. We ordered many different items. He would bring half servings of each and get more of what we liked best. To my wife and I, this was one of the highlights of the cruise and one reason we feel that the cruise is really a deal for the price you pay and what you get.

You can also order off the kids menu and kids can order off either the kids or adult menu. DH and I always have to order a Mickey Ice Cream bar off the kids menu each time we cruise. We usually get some type of comment from our waiter, but we just LOVE them!!!

One good tip:the first night of the cruise I always tell our waiter and asst. waiter our preferances. Our kids like chocolate milk, I like Diet Coke, DH like to try the drink of the night, I prefer chicken and chocolate, ect... They will remember and have your drinks waiting and they can better assist you with your dining menu. If you don't like something ask for something else. If you like something ask for seconds. One last tip:always listen to your waiter. Only twice have we ever deviated their recommendations and they were the only two dinners DH and I didn't care for!

I loved this "all inclusive cruising"! This was a time for us to try different foods, knowing that if we weren't keen on them, we could order something else. I had never had salmon before, and ended up eating it every time it was on the menu! One evening, at Lumiere's, I couldn't decide which of 4 desserts to get, so guess what......tried all four! My dh ordered an appetizer that we all gave a taste, ooohed and aaaahed, and the next thing we knew, our server brought 2 more plates heaping with it! At Palo's, my dh wanted to try the soup and an appetizer. Rather than sit w/o food during his second appet., the server chose another soup for me to try! Try, try, try!

THE OTHER THING I FOUND OUT WHEN WE CRUISED WAS THERE IS ALSO A STEAK YOU CAN ORDER THAT IS NOT ON THE MENU AND BAKED POTATOE. I KNOW. WHO WOULD WANT THIS WITH ALL THE OTHER FOOD, WELL.... DD AND I DID ONE NIGHT AND JUST A PLAIN OLD SALAD, AND THEY BROUGHT IT TO US. IT WAS A FAIRLY GOOD SIZE AND GOOD QUALITY STEAK AND DD (101/2 AT THE TIME) GOT THE SAME AS I DID. JUST WANTED TO LET YOU KNOW THAT SOMETIMES THERE ARE THINGS NO SHOWN THAT YOU CAN GET, JUST ASK.:D

We definitely took advantage of this!! In fact, our server Anya made sure we were aware that anything we didn't like could be switched and anything we loved - more could be gotten! When we went to Palo's, we ordered app's and the waiter brought the Portobello mushrooms because they were his favorite and he wanted us to try them. He was right - they are Great!!:D

Hi... when myself and friend go on our cruise in April on Captain's night we are each getting a beef tenderloin and splitting btw us the two lobster tails entree! Surf and Turf!

Last cruise ordered 2 desserts one night as they were my favorites and being offered in one sitting! Sometimes will share if am full! Definately good to know that you can order off the kids menu though! Now i plan on that ! Chicken nuggets here i come! Sometimes you just need them!

This is interesting to me. We got back from the Magic on 3/9 and our server said that due to inventory control we should just order 1 item from each course. We even had to order dessert right up front! He said if we were still hungry then he'd bring us something else. He was very nice but I was surprised and I thought that Disney had a new policy.

Hi Folks

Great thread....UKBorn is this a fact (new Disney policy) or something that is coming or already in place? This cannot be true. Time to start a new campaign.. remember the chicken fingers DCL?

Wow - I find it hard to believe that a cruise line would limit your meal to one entree. My server won't see much of a tip if this is what he tells me. In fact, I may choose another cruise line if this is the case. The gourging of oneself is part of the whole cruise experience. It's the one time of year to throw caution to the wind and eat like you just spent two weeks on Survivor.

Well, I suppose I could hang out at Plutos and the other fast food places and eat a couple burgers, some pizza and a few bowls of ice cream before dinner. Oh yea - and some cheese and crackers, turkey sandwich and jumbo cookies from room service.

All this talk about food is making me hungry. I think I'll go make a sandwich.

Seeing other people's posting is making me wonder if our server was just reducing work for himself. Has any one been on board recently and had a similar experience as ours? I didn't question it but just assumed he had been informed to pass the restriction along. I wasn't over thrilled to be asked to order dessert right at the start of the meal. It isn't always easy to predict what one would want.
This server gave us a very hard sell about putting all excellents on the dining room evaluation at the end of the cruise. He said that he and his assistant would get to serve just at the dinner rotation the following week if he got all excellents as he was top of the league or some such thing.He was so nice but I think I was "had"!

We were on the 3/9 cruise also, Adrian and Zama were our waiters. Adrian would not take our dessert order until after we ate our meal. My dh and I enjoy a green salad with every meal so in addition to our app. he had us a salad to share every night. Our son (11 years old) ordered a steak with his lobster, everyone at the table shared a little of it with our lobster.

So we didn't have the same problem as you. We were at the late seating and he didn't rush us through everything, only the last night which he said everyone wanted to hurry through to pack, what seating were you at?

ukborn,
It sounds to me like your Server just wanted to make Dinner easier for himself. I have NEVER had to order dessert before finishing my meal. I have been on 3 Disney cruises. I also have ordered 2 appetizers when I saw something I wanted to try.

I agree.....out of 5 DCL cruises I was never asked to order dessert early. The only time that happened was at Palo dinner and that was because the dessert need extra time to prepare.

MJ

Magic, We were on a late seating and I shall know better next time. I should have queried it but the servers work so hard that I didn't want to make a fuss.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter