How many character meals are too many?

So, out of 7 meals, how many is a good number for character meals? I want to take advantage of the unique dining experience, but also recognize that they are probably not as relaxing as non-character meals.

I would love to hear about your thoughts and experiences! Thanks!

As many as possible that you think you can handle. I would say too many character meals for a 7 day stay would be more than 21 character meals. :)

My kids will be 5 and 3 when we go. On our last trip we booked 2 - Akershus and Crystal Palace, both for dinner. Kids seemed to have fun, but food was just OK - certainly better than what I expected, given that it's disney and they are cooking for A LOT of people.

For our next trip, I've booked 6 character breakfasts for our 8-night trip. No dinners.
  • Tusker House
  • Crystal Palace
  • 1900 Park Fare
  • Akershus
  • H&V
  • Ohana
I would like to cancel one, as I think 5 in an 8-night trip is a good number. I was thinking about canceling H&V, but they will be adding Manny, so now I'm not sure. Might keep them all.

I remember a poster who booked sixteen character meals in one week...to me, that's way too many. But to me, one is too many.

If you are concerned with the activity, alternate the character meals with something quieter.

I don't think it's true that all WDW restaurants except V&A are "geared" for families with children. The signature restaurants at the resorts are not geared that way. They have children's menus, but there is nothing specifically about the atmosphere that screams "family restaurant." They are full of families because they are at Disney World. Bistro de Paris is not geared that way. It doesn't even have a children's menu. However, plenty of families attend, with children of all ages.
Couldn't agree more. There is no fixed appropriate number of character meals. It depends on the individual family. One character meal every couple years is enough for me. I had breakfast with a few friends at Tusker House in January and had dinner at Liberty Tree Tavern with friends in October 2007. I don't think my family has booked a character meal in about five years or more. Just not our thing.

We love character meals. DD gets so excited! We are doing 6 in a week. DD4 loves princesses so we are doing both CRT & Akershus. Then we really like Crystal Palace so we are doing breakfast & Dinner (plus DS1 LOVES Pooh!). And then have to get the rest of the gang with Tusker House & Cape May Cafe. (We did Chef Mickey's twice in Sept so doing something different).

Character meals are a little stressful since you worry about missing characters, but I like they are buffets (family-style) and I can feed the kids right away, and that the kids they are entertained, and not bored! However, I do recommend at least a couple that aren't character meals as well, there has to be some balance.

Yes character meals are a little chaotic. However, it is definately a wonderful experience for children and a great opportunity to get signatures from characters without having to stand in long lines. I personally think three is a good number, if your children like to get signatures and meet the characters. Two would still be really special. I am trying to decide between doing two or three next trip. We are planning on eating CP breakfast, Cape May breakfast. I can't decide whether or not to do an early dinner at CRT next time - mainly because of the price of the meal. It was my favorite meal last time. My children however have very fond memories of CP and Chef Mickeys. Also, I find that children do alot better at character breakfasts or lunches than they do at dinner time. In my opinion late character ADRs are unpleasant and a waste of money if your children are tired. I have two 10 year old daughters and the night we went to the castle and the night we did the pirate cruise, they were just too tired to enjoy it. 50's Prime time was great fun for my family too. T-Rex at DTD looks like a lot of fun.

I enjoy my meal more without the characters, but watching the joy in the faces of all the little ones (and big one that still feel the joy) makes character meals a very important part of any Disney trip.

I would like to do one or two at the most on any trip. But if the young crowd in my group wanted to do one every breakfast, lunch and dinner, and if the pocket book could handle it I would grant them that wish.

I live in a beautiful town, but there is no option here for a character meal/experience like that.

Character meals are often a big part of the magic. And the nice thing is for those collecting autographs or wanting to have photos with Mickey and the rest, it is all done without waiting in lines.

You cant replace this with a filet mignon...

160.jpg

DISNEY059.jpg

DISNEY016.jpg

DISNEY366.jpg

DISNEY207.jpg

I would agree that quite a few is not too many. :-)

My 10 and 14 year old boys cannot wait to see Donald and myself and my 18 year old niece are giddy over meeting the princesses.That little piece of childhood innocence that character meals bring out in them even still is part of the magic IMHO.

All I get is "Mooom we gotta go back to Crystal Palace" or "Moooom are we doing the Stitch breakfast this time?"

When my son (now 10) age 3 jumped into poohs arms at 1900 Park Fare (back when it was a pooh meal) it brought tears to my eyes.

We have 5 (Akhershus, Donald's, Crystal Palace, Cape May & Lilo and stitch) booked for our upcoming 6 night trip!

WDWO

PS We NEVER wait in line to see characters. Unless we just happen across one that has no line to speak of. THAT is something I just can't hack! LOL.

When we went in 2008 DS(then almost3) we booked at least one character a meal a day sometimes 2 we were on DDP plus it kept him entertained and as someone else a picture is worth everything. When we go in 1 week and a few days we have CRT for dinner again and 1900 Park Fare for Breakfast (never have done this one) and trying for one more do not tell DH:goodvibes He has us all mapped out so this could interfere with park plan. The more the better go for it.

Depends on the family. My DS, who is only 8, loves nice sit down, adult style meals - his requests for the week were Coral Reef and Teppan Edo. DD is 6 and likes character meals, but eats next to nothing and really doesn't like the food at all. I still remember stepping out onto the porch of Crystal Palace after eating a meal, and DD howling that she was starving and wanted popcorn. She picked at her food and was distracted so still hungry when we were done.

Personally, I think the food at most of them is mediocre to next to terrible. I don't like the noise, the food or the chaos. I usually let DD pick one character meal and we kick off our vacation with that. Then we eat good food the rest of the vacation.;)

first family trip to WDW coming up Oct 2010
DD & DS both couple weeks away from turning 5 yrs old during vacation

we have 4 character meals spread out over 7 days:
CM, epcot princesses, CP, dinner at 1900 park fare

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter