• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How many careers or jobs?

bjgrazi

<font color=darkblue>I remember those days fondly<
How many different types of careers or jobs have you had?

I always worked in an office setting, working my way to to manager. But I did work for a few different type companies. My longest was 10 years till the company folded due to poor management by the owner.

Then I sort of "retired" and now I work for Lowes.

I've worked retail, hospitality, administrative, and customer service jobs.

I've had 5 jobs and 1 career in my 39 years.

Summer job #1: at 14, I was a busboy at Ponderosa.

Summer job #2: at 15, I worked the counter at a frozen yogurt shop.

Summer job #3: at 16, I worked at Bin and Barrel, a bulk candy shop.

Summer job #4 before college: interned at Merrill Lynch.

Worked (and had a ball) my entire 5 years in college waiting tables at a TGIFriday's (back when we had to wear red and white stripes and pins (flair!!) and everyone who worked there was required to have at least one screw loose). :teeth:

Started my own business upon graduation with money a saved waiting tables and have been in the commercial textile industry ever since.

One

Been in hotels (started line level and now multi unit GM) for over 20 years.

Was not my first choice, but started it when in high school, and just ran with it.

I've been subbing for 25 years but before that I had an assortment of jobs; bakery, housecleaning (in college) working in the college cafeteria; collecting loans for a college; sacking groceries, camp counselor and of course babysitting a ton when I was in HS.

Since graduating college, I've had three jobs. All were in the same line of business. I've been at my current job for twenty four years.

Not in any particular order....

Wendy's, clerk at pet store, security system monitor, phlebotomist, lab tech, retail sales, insurance sales, substitute teacher, prepped chemistry labs for chemistry classes (microbiology too)

If I think of anything else I'll add it.

Senior year of high school on co-op work program I worked in the office of an elementary school. Then I worked for a few months in the reporting department of the local credit bureau. I didn't work outside the home after getting married, and becoming a mother. Did not go back to work until my youngest was 7 or 8, then I worked as a clerk in a video store for a few years. Then worked as a church secretary (3 mornings per week) for 6 years, and for the past 12 years I have been a waitress.

I've thought about going back to office work, but I know I wouldn't make as much $$$ as I do waitressing, plus my job is really flexible as far as taking vacation time goes and I know I wouldn't have that going back to office work, and I don't like the thought of being stuck in a Monday - Friday 9 to 5 job. I only work weekends so always have four days off each week. It's great, and 99% of the customers are too, and I like my co-workers so I'm keeping it. :)

I am an RN for 25 years.

First I worked full time for a hospital.

Then I went to per diem at the hospital and worked full time for an insurance company.

Then I quit the insurance company and went back part time to the hospital.

While I was part time at the hospital, I also did homecare.

Then I quit the homecare when my in-laws got sick, but stayed part time at the hospital.

Now I am per diem at the hiospital, but usually end up working 4 days per week doing either clinical nursing or working with our IT staff because we are computerizing all our charting.

So I guess the "thread" through my career has been the hospital, in various aspects.

1. US Army-I hated every minute of it.
2. Professional college student- 7 years-3 degrees, school beats work anyday.
3. Social worker- emotionally draining, stressful and tiresome.
4. ESL trainer- I love this job, basically get paid alot of money to schmooze with the clients.
If I ever move back to America I hope to combine my social work background with my teaching background and go into college acadamia, I have no plans on ever doing direct client services again.

I also have had the gamut of crappy joe jobs, but that is why I went to college! If you have ever seen the movie "Clerks" I did not want that to become my life story!

I thought I was a stable employee until I looked at my list.....in chronological order....

4 years in High School - baby/housesitting every weekend for a family (EVERY weekend....) NJ
Woolworth's luncheonette counter - before college NJ
Government offices - during summer and winter breaks NJ
Taco Bell -- during college (3rd shift) IN
Reception - pediatric office VA
Music Teacher at a Catholic school VA
Word processor/office manager for insurance company GA (1 year)
Executive Secretary at a hotel LA (4 years)
Front Office Manager at a conference hotel KS (1 year)
Sr Sales Manager at a hotel IL (1 year)
Contract Administrator -- certification program IL (8 years)
Executive Director - certification program IL (2 years)

Because my company changed mgmt companies, I needed to find a new position and made a baaaaaddddd mistake, and left without having leads on a position. Now I'm in job search mode and unemployed. Sigh. I'd like to find a position I love, and work until I retire (25+ years left!).

1. People's Drug - Pharmacy and cosmetics Clerk 2 years P/T in HS
2. The phone company - 32 years
3. The Best Company - Bridge Jewelry Sales during going out of business Sale
4. 2 day temp position at a beauty supply wholesaler
5. 2 week temp at a cabinet supplier for new home construction
6. Robinson-May - men's department better clothing sales 3 months
7. Environmental Company - Billing clerk and telephone operator 2 years

Also sold Tupperware for a couple of years.

currently retired

I've been:
A factory laborer
Truck driver
Fire Service
Law enforcement officer
Security consultant (for a defense plant)
Emergency medical service
Insurance

Lifes too short to just do one thing.

1. taught private music lessons to elemtary school students while in high school
2. McDonald's (part-time for 3 yrs while in college)
3. computer room operator (part time also while in college & same time as McD)
4. grocery store (part-time cashier & service desk while in college; then full time asst front end mgr after college)
5. bank (asst head teller, then head teller, then asst branch mgr - 8 yrs)
6. insurance agency (customer service & licensed agent with tons more responsibilities in office of 6 people - almost 12 yrs)
7. Now I'm stay at home wife. :goodvibes I burned out at last job. I also do product demos at stores on the side when I feel like it.

Jeesh, I didn't realize it was that many.

Same as OP. Always worked up to management & ended up hating it. Now "retired" too. :)

I have been a:

Cake decorator
Toy store employee
Woman's clothing store
Bartender
Pastry platter
Grocery store jack of all trades (bakery, seafood, deli, maintenance, and price change/check person)
Fish monger, then assistant manager of the seafood department

OK, a challenge for me here:

Babysitting and Avon in HS, Auntie Anne's Pretzels and retail clothing in college, also did work study in college so I did some work as a secretary. After college: asst. mngr office supply store, summer day care worker, substitute teaching, retail sales, teaching, tax preparer, home daycare, newpaper delivery, direct sales (partylite candles), and back to teaching... I feel like I've done a little of everything at this point...

I've had a whole slew of jobs/careers. I love being able to shift from one interest to another. In college, I did workstudy at the college library and saw women who were basically emotionally stagnant & decaying at the desk jobs they've had for decades. Watching the squabbles of inner-office politics & cliques was even worse. I vowed I would never grow old like that.

I used to have a hard time explaining to people how I can do a whole slew of stuff I used to be involved in, without sounding like a dilletante. Then I read a great book, The Renaissance Soul which affirmed the ability to switch careers and ways of doing it. It gave me "permission" to already do what I've been doing! :thumbsup2 Most importantly, it taught me: I do NOT have to stick with one thing for life! I can do something for a few years, and as I grow, change, change priorities & directions, I can switch careers, directions, hobbies & interests with integrity, meaning not being irresponsible and leaving people in a lurch, or not paying bills, but transitioning out smoothly. :cool1:

The author even said, in today's work climate, where people are being layed off or fired long before retirement, having had only one long-term job is actually a detriment. It is the ones who have had multiple jobs and multiple types of job experiences & can be flexible & resilient in different work environments, who get rehired.

This book is wonderful for people who have many interests & want to move in different directions, that they just can't seem to settle on one thing, but it is NOT an ADD or ADHD problem. It's just that some people need variety and love finding new challenges to do.

It's also great for parents who have kids who always want to explore new things. Or teens who may be going to college soon & are not sure what to focus on because they have so many interests. This book shows how to manage them all.The Renaissance Soul.
There is an excerpt at Amazon. You can also download a few chapters at the author's webpage:
First Chapter,
PARENTING THE RENAISSANCE SOUL,
Turning "Too Many Interests" Into A Great Life!

when I was really young I had a once a week paper route
In Jr. High School I babysat
in HS worked at a grocery store
after High School I worked at Wal Mart and the same grocery store
for 4 hours I worked at K-mart in the shoe Dept ewww
I sold tickets at a baseball stadium
I worked as a waitress in the resturant at same baseball stadium
3 years at The Disney Store while working for the baseball team
Stay at home mom 10 years
when youngest started pre-school last year I started part time at a preschool and as a sub at a daycare

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter