How many booking Aulani @ 7 months booked airfare FIRST?

Airfare roulette

• Gambled & won - booked my airfare 1st then got a ressie at Aulani

• Gambled & lost - booked my airfare 1st then was NOT able to get a ressie at 7 months

• Yes, I would gamble on getting a ressie & I would book airfare to Hawaii if I saw a good deal

• No, I would play it safe and wait to get a ressie at 7 months before dropping a big wad on airfare

Results are only viewable after voting.
We are going in August 2012 and booked our flights in October 2011 (approx. 10 months out). We are 5 nights in Oahu before moving on to another island. We needed at least a one-bedroom.

I had diarized to call Member Services to book at the 7 month window (this was before online booking was available) but I was not expecting to have difficult securing a reservation because I was prepared to pay the extra points to book an OV room. So, I did not call in to try to make a reservation until mid-morning. As you might guess, when I did call in there were no one-bedrooms available in any category for the first night of our five night stay. The only thing that was showing availability for the first night was a standard view two-bedroom and that was it. No studios, either. The CM was able to see that there were a couple of one-bedroom OV rooms for the next 4 nights of my stay but, of course, I would have to wait a day before I could book that.

I called Member Services the next day right at the start of the day and was able to secure the one-bedroom OV for nights 2 to 5. I also wait-listed for the one-bedroom OV for the first night but, in the meantime, booked a two-bedroom SV for that same night (the two options we almost the same number of points). After a couple of weeks, the waitlist request came through and, as a consequence, we now have the one-bedroom OV for the entire 5 night stay, which was what I was hoping to get at the outset.

So everything has worked out but I have to admit that, once I realized that I might have difficulty getting my Aulani reservations, I became quite anxious because we are using banked points for the booking and there was now a possibility in my mind that we might not be able to use those points.

However, one option that I was prepared to consider was to make a back-up booking for missing days at the start or end of the stay at the Marriott Beach Club property up the street from Aulani.

All airlines have different rules and change fees, and I encourage everyone to know them when they book. SW and Jet Blue will let you redo your fare if it drops and you get a airline credit for future travel (good for 1 year) and that credit does not have to be used by the original passenger. Other airlines I have encountered charge a 50.00 - 150.00 change fee which in the above case would have been worth having the tickets reissued with the fee and still get a refund. Not saying this was the case but a call to the airlines never hurts.;)

I did call American and get a credit of about $225, after the $150 per ticket change fees. I travel several times per year so that credit didn't last very long.

We are going in August 2012 and booked our flights in October 2011 (approx. 10 months out). We are 5 nights in Oahu before moving on to another island. We needed at least a one-bedroom.

I had diarized to call Member Services to book at the 7 month window (this was before online booking was available) but I was not expecting to have difficult securing a reservation because I was prepared to pay the extra points to book an OV room. So, I did not call in to try to make a reservation until mid-morning. As you might guess, when I did call in there were no one-bedrooms available in any category for the first night of our five night stay. The only thing that was showing availability for the first night was a standard view two-bedroom and that was it. No studios, either. The CM was able to see that there were a couple of one-bedroom OV rooms for the next 4 nights of my stay but, of course, I would have to wait a day before I could book that.

I called Member Services the next day right at the start of the day and was able to secure the one-bedroom OV for nights 2 to 5. I also wait-listed for the one-bedroom OV for the first night but, in the meantime, booked a two-bedroom SV for that same night (the two options we almost the same number of points). After a couple of weeks, the waitlist request came through and, as a consequence, we now have the one-bedroom OV for the entire 5 night stay, which was what I was hoping to get at the outset.

So everything has worked out but I have to admit that, once I realized that I might have difficulty getting my Aulani reservations, I became quite anxious because we are using banked points for the booking and there was now a possibility in my mind that we might not be able to use those points.

However, one option that I was prepared to consider was to make a back-up booking for missing days at the start or end of the stay at the Marriott Beach Club property up the street from Aulani.

Glad it worked out for you.:thumbsup2 I am going to have to toodle around with the online booking system sometime as I've read where that could be a slight advantage on a hard to get ressie. But we do have enough Amex points that we could x-fer to Starwood to be able to cover 7 nights at a Sheraton or a Westin so that's always a possibility (I was already planning for 5 nights on Maui). If we can't get into Aulani we may just simply skip Oahu (although I would sort of like to take our DS back to Pearl Harbor again because he was pretty young the last time we went...). I hate to go to Hawaii for anything less than 9-10 days though since the flights are so much $$$. So we'd have to pay for a few nights out of pocket if Aulani falls thru...I'll look for a deal somewhere. If we DO go to Oahu and have to pay out of pocket I would be happy enough to stay at the Outrigger Waikiki for 2 or 3 nights. I WILL NOT pay cash for a room at Aulani when they're 3x as much. Just ain't happening.

So far there have been 46 votes on the poll and nobody has claimed to have booked air first then not been able to get a ressie so I'm still encouraged it will work out. But I will wait to book the air after we secure the ressies.

I made the reservation at 11 month window, while on the phone with members services I was online booking airfare at the same time. I booked with BA miles through American. They don't give many choices per day. I called at the 7 month to change, and there weren't consecutive days available during the time I wanted in August.

Not only did I book the airfare, I booked the NCL cruise before my 7 month window. We were using FF points to get the airfare and our TA advised that limited seats to use the points to Hawaii meant we needed to book early. I did not have any problem with our Aulani reservation at 7 months, but we are going in November - not summer. Now I have all summer to plan the trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter