How long to spend solo?

zanzibar138

DIS Veteran
I'm considering making a solo trip to the world for the next TOT 10 miler (what great motivation to get fit!).

Just wondering how long solo travellers usually go for? Do you find you start getting lonely/miss your partner too much after a certain number of days?

I will be coming from Australia so I'll want to stay long enough to make the trip worthwhile, and I may not ever get back to WDW so I want to make sure I have time to really take it all in (I should also add this would be my first visit!). Also with the time difference and cost of making calls back to Australia, I won't have that much opportunity to keep in contact with DH.

If I had company I wouldn't go for less than 10 days, but not sure if I could handle that long on my own :confused3

I am going solo next month and I am booked for 6 days 5 nights and spending my last day in the parks so I have a full 6 days. I have only ever gone with family for 8 days so this is the shortest trip I will have taken, but I think it is the perfect amount of time. Being that you are coming from Australia, how about do 7 nights 8 days! Its less than 10 day, and you will have plenty of time to do things on your own terms.. wake up when you want, go on any ride you want, eat where ever you want. Hope that helps.

Thanks for the tips :goodvibes I was thinking around a week might be a good amount of time. Do you think that would give me enough time for US as well?

i've been going solo yearly since 2005.
i leave my entire family back home.
and, they are good with it.

i am probably the exception to what others will post, but this year, i stay for 18 days.

i stay onsite at disney for 8 nights/9 days then move to universal resorts for 10.

i don't get bored and have a totally relaxing vacation.

past vacations have not been less than 14 days.
i always split my stays between the two resorts.

Oh wow! You do go all out!

What is there to do at Universal for 10 days? I'd probably be mainly interested in WDW and throw in a couple of days at US just to experience it. I didn't know it was such a destination as well!

i do my vacation at the last week of sept (22nd) and stay past columbus day time period. (october)
i do halloween horror nights at UO for 4/5 evenings.
it is a hard ticket event. starts at 6:30 pm and closes either at midnight, 1:00 am or 2:00 am depending on night.

also do a couple of tours at hhn.

i don't rush to the park when it first opens and take my time when there.

i hit city walk, the cinema, blue man group, different restaurants each day, meet up with friends at uo, lounge around the pools, etc.

at disney, i wake up when i wake up and start my day then.

i get on the first bus that arrives at the resort and do that park for part of the day. then i move on to another park for the remainder of the day.

i shop, i eat, i do rides and shows/parades.
usually do a tour of some type every other year if it fits into my schedule.

i have a great time at both places.

The first time disney i went for 8 days, the second time, now four years ago i went for 14 days to get in all the parks in orlando. This year ( september/october) i will go solo for 8 days ( three at universal and five at disney). Think thats long enough. There is always a possibilitynto meet some disneyfans, so you dont have to feel alone if you are afraid of it ;)

I go for 9 days, it gives me a full week when you discount travel days. As I go at a quieter time of year that gives me enough time to do what I want to do. I don't really do "down time" when travelling solo.

I did 3 days and 5 days last year. I want to do a week long next year, it will probably be also solo. If i was with others, i would stay around a bit longer
Ainly because of some time "wasted" getting organised.

I also didn't factor in travel time! Since you are coming from Australia, I would add an extra day onto what I mentioned before, so that your time isn't interfered with traveling to and from.

I also didn't factor in travel time! Since you are coming from Australia, I would add an extra day onto what I mentioned before, so that your time isn't interfered with traveling to and from.

Agree.

Combine it with a first trip and the biggest $$ factor being the flight over and I would not go for anything less than those 10 days.

My first ever trip, also solo, aws 9 full days. You know what? WAY to short. Not even close to get a real good slowed down look around and do/see all desired on property. Let alone venturing out. And honestly, when making such a long trip and investing such an amount of money? Outside the bubble is not to be missed either, IMHO.

Since then it has been a quick lesson, so to say. ;) Upcoming october will be my 6th trip, 3rd solo. This one will be 25 days.

Afraid of being alone? That will be a hard one with the destination you picked out! ;) Whenever having a need to socialize, there are plenty of options around and can't say anything else other than people are very open to it when noticing a solo. Got a lot more socializing offers on solo trip than those non solo. However, a solo trip has a huge benefit. It is you and only you. Nobody around means nobody to also keep happy, to balance your wants and needs with that of someone else and all the time and option to focus on YOU. Spoil yourself a bit, pamper a bit and just do (or don't do!) whatever you feel like. It is heaven. Where a trip with others (obviously!) revolves around balancing multiple likes and dislikes and compromising, this one can be a 100% you. Enjoy and use it to the ultimate to do exactly what you would not do (or as much or long as desired) when not solo.

As far as the home front goes; forget that phone. With the wide spread free availability of WIFI now at the resorts and parks following, there are enough other affordable ways to stay in contact using the internet. Sending some emails doesn't require same schedules and if wanting some more direct contact; set up a "date" for a skype moment. Have to say that the time difference with Oz worked better for this in my experience than with our Dutch timing. The latter would still result in different "modes". One waking up but the other busy at work, that kinda stuff. Whereas when conversing with those on Oz time zones it was as simple as knowing both would be available and not darned busy with work or halfway through a ride, but one just woken up and one just getting ready for bed.

Disney is great for a solo adventure. I even went solo in the days before Wifi and cell phones. There's allways someone in line or at the next table to talk to if you get bored. I allways got to talk to lots of interesting people.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter