How long to go down?

partofyourworld710

Earning My Ears
I am going down in febuary and staying from the 21st to the 24th. Is this enough time to see and do everything? This is our first time and we want to see and ride many of the rides and attractions. We are Disney World veterans and are willing to go from opeing to closing non-interupted and have done it in Disney World many times before. We will get a 2 day park hopper and spend the days coming down and going back in downtown disney and exploring the hotels. Does the time we are going for seem reasonable to get everything done?

I am going down in febuary and staying from the 21st to the 24th. Is this enough time to see and do everything? This is our first time and we want to see and ride many of the rides and attractions. We are Disney World veterans and are willing to go from opeing to closing non-interupted and have done it in Disney World many times before. We will get a 2 day park hopper and spend the days coming down and going back in downtown disney and exploring the hotels. Does the time we are going for seem reasonable to get everything done?

Hey, welcome to the other side of the Dis! Congrats on your trip. 2 days is pretty short to see everything, especially since it doesn't look like you will be in the parks over the weekend. This means you probably won't see Fantasmic or the fireworks. The 24th will likely have both of those, but from what I gather, you won't be in DL that day.

Keep in mind that the hours will be shortened for the days you are there, it wouldn't be unusual for DL to close at 8pm and DCA earlier than that with a late opening of 9 or 10am. You also run the risk of being there during extended refurbs of rides.

On the plus side, it shouldn't be crowded at all. You will most likely have a minimal wait for most rides and tour with limited crowds. But 2 days is still a quick trip. No way to extend to 3 days? If you could extend it and be in the parks on Friday, you would most likely have longer hours, access to shows, and much more time to tour. I am not saying you couldn't do all the headliners in 2 days, but you would be commando style for sure.

Most on the boards here would recommend at least 3 days during off season, 4 in summer/busy season, and 5 or more for relaxed touring. :)

I don't think you can do everything in 2 days--these are weekdays, right? I'm not sure what park hours will be then (they could be on low season hours, which could be as short as 10 AM - 8 PM!). It may be possible to do every ride if you really try, but by running from ride to ride, you'll miss a lot of the atmosphere.

But that said, you can probably hit all the highlights and everything that's substantially different from WDW. (For example, MuppetVision, It's Tough to Be a Bug, and Captain EO could easily eat up an hour of time, and more if you timed them wrong, which would make a difference if you end up "only" having 20 hours of park time...but they're just like the ones in WDW. Ditto Soarin', aside from the wait area, but Soarin' is cooler. ;) )

Now, I visited WDW (summer; long hours) and saw everything I wanted to see in the Magic Kingdom, about 70% of Epcot (including all the real headliners), and almost 50% of Hollywood Studios, in 2 days. (Saw Downtown Disney the third day.) WDW folks will say there is no way to do the parks in 2 days. In one regard they are right, but in another sense you can really get a TON of stuff done in 2 days and get a very good sense of the parks.

I don't know your party size but if your party is small I'd keep an eye out for ticket deals. If you could get a 3 day hopper, even if you just used it for a few hours your departure day, you could get a lot more done. You'd also get a Magic Morning to get into Fantasyland and Tomorrowland an hour early one day; in your case, probably the 23rd. But I can see where the price difference between 2 and 3 days may be prohibitive.

(I always upgrade so I can go to the parks the day of arrival and day of departure, but that's taking me from a 3-day hopper to a 5-day, which is I think $32 more to get 12+ extra hours in the park, and it's just me. Obviously paying $40+ each for several people to get maybe 6 extra hours is a totally different matter.)

Have a great trip!

WDW and DLR are quite a bit different in how you go about seeing everything. At WDW you'll spend quite a bit of time riding buses, boats or monorails to get to/from various parks and resorts. Not so at DLR. Both parks, the 3 Disney resorts and Downtown Disney are 2-10 minute walk. Its VERY easy to visit either park and have a quick lunch in Downtown Disney and return the parks. You'll also park hop far more at DLR, sometimes hopping more than one in the same day in order to maximize fast passes, shows and attractions.

It takes maybe 2-5 minutes to walk from Disneyland to California Adventure. You can also have fast passes for both parks at the same time. So visit CA early, get WOC FP, go to Disneyland for awhile and return to CA for WOC at night. Or many go to DL for the morning, collect FP's, visit CA for the afternoon and return and use DL FP's later in the day or evening.

If you plan right you can see all major shows and attractions in 2 full days but you'll miss smaller rides and shows.

I'm in the 'at least 3 days if possible' camp. I've never EVER done it less than 3. (3 is our 'normal') I can't imagine getting as much done as I want to in 2 days and I've been there a few times.

That said, you'll still have a great time if you go for 2 days. You just might have to weigh what things are more important and also notice length of wait for other things and decide to skip or try later.

I think we have settled on 3 days. Thanks to everyone for their input! On a related note, are there any restaurants, stores, or experiences we should be sure not to miss? I realize this is a short trip, even adding a third day, but seeing as we are coming from the other side of the country, we really have no qualms about completely wearing ourselves out and living on energy drinks for the trip :thumbsup2. Thanks again for all your information, it has been super helpful!!

Make sure you see the Aladdin show! I had never heard much about this show until i found the DIS, and had never taken the time to see it, as my kids weren't into "shows" as much as they were into the rides. Well, we saw it on our trip last summer and LOVED it...so much so that we saw it twice over our five day trip. It was fun to see it with different genies, and different Aladdins.

I think we have settled on 3 days. Thanks to everyone for their input! On a related note, are there any restaurants, stores, or experiences we should be sure not to miss? I realize this is a short trip, even adding a third day, but seeing as we are coming from the other side of the country, we really have no qualms about completely wearing ourselves out and living on energy drinks for the trip :thumbsup2. Thanks again for all your information, it has been super helpful!!

A "MUST" restaurant with us is The Blue Bayou. We never miss it. Great atmosphere. You are in the pirates of the carribean ride and can sit by the river and watch the boats go by. We always call and made ressies before our trip as they book quickly!

I second Aladdin, I make sure to see it at least once when we go! A very well done production.

While you are in DCA, make sure to stop in the Animation Building. I have literally had to drag friends in there because from the outside it looks like nothing. Once inside, though, I had to drag them out! :lmao: It is really worth exploring.

If you are any kind of foodie, Napa Rose is a must. It is located in the Grand Californian hotel and is really a standout. It is fun to sit at the Chef's Counter and have them make a custom meal just for you! :)

Since you have 3 days now, you really must do World of Color. There is nothing like it at WDW. The queuing can be a pain, but I think it is worth it for the awesome show!

A cute and inexpensive souvenir is to get a silhouette done on Main Street. The ladies there are very talented and quick. DH and I have one from our anniversary and we really enjoy having it.

I would pick at least one of the atmospheric shows to watch, i.e. Disneyland Band, Dapper Dans, etc. This is a great way to slow down and really enjoy all Disneyland has to offer. These shows will be on the Times guide when you arrive. They are high quality and loads of fun! :thumbsup2

Most of all, have fun! :goodvibes

The Blue Bayou is DEF a must see. It's so unique and a fun atmosphere. It's pricey, just keep that in mind. You can find the menu online really easily. It's great to sit and watch the boats float by for Pirates of the Caribbean.

I have not seen WOC or Aladdin..I hear good things about both but we're more into rides and such.

TOTALLY agree with the Silhouette. I never had one as a child, but I had them done for my two older kids on their first trip. I TREASURE them.

I like eating at French Market because you can sit outside and people watch. They have amazing clam chowder and bread bowls :)

Indiana Jones and California Screamin' are super fun and unique to DL. Pirates is different from DW and I hear it's 'better'. I don't know if this is true, but I hear it's a must do for WDW vets.

I'm glad you got 3 days. You'll be able to do EVERYTHING you want to do. I also suggest you hang around here for a bit and read random threads. You might find other things that are 'must do' for you that other people didn't think of!!

This is something random, but if you're a makeup/body care type of girl the Sephora in DTD is my FAVORITE Sephora store ever. LOL

You can get most/all of the rides done in two days (if it isn't too busy). Checking out the resorts and DD is really pushing it though. 3 days should be enough and you can do some of your favorite rides twice then.

President's Day is the 20th, so be prepared that you might have residual crowds on the 21st or 22nd.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter