How long is too long?

Jen_G

Mouseketeer
I'm planning a trip to WDW sometime in January/February 2018. It's going to be in celebration of me finally getting my bachelor's degree after returning to college two and a half years ago. Since this will be my second Disney visit within a year's time, I'm planning on buying an annual pass, and I don't have any constraints on when I need to return home apart from how long I can stretch my dollars (and at an All-Star resort in winter with an AP discount, I can stretch them a prrrreeeeeeetty long way). How long of a stay is too long? At what point does Disney start getting boring?

Tough one...probably want to avoid February with the whole February vacation thing BTW

I have done 10 days a few times and it does get a little much near the end on a solo trip...I tend to mix it up by doing a day trip or two to Universal or just staying at Universal

I think 7 days is good, but the ticket is so cheap to go to 10 days I've always just done that in the past.

It also depends on the type of person you are...I tend to go into the various bars and get in conversation with other people and staff just to keep from going crazy..not everyone can do that and for females I am sure it is a bit different

Tough one...probably want to avoid February with the whole February vacation thing BTW

If I went in February it'd be towards the beginning of the month before school vacation started, no worries!

I have done 10 days a few times and it does get a little much near the end on a solo trip...I tend to mix it up by doing a day trip or two to Universal or just staying at Universal

I think 7 days is good, but the ticket is so cheap to go to 10 days I've always just done that in the past.

I've never stayed longer than a week before, even when I was a kid. My only trip so far as an adult, my mom and I went down for six days and I left thinking that was a perfect amount of time. We had the chance to do almost everything we wanted without wearing ourselves out too much. For my solo trip I was considering twelve days (arrive on a Sunday, leave two Fridays from then), but I don't know if I'd be better off opting for a shorter stay. There's another part of my brain going "You don't need to come back until grad school starts in the fall! Stay for dinner! STAY FOREVER." I'm doing my best to muffle that part. :P

It also depends on the type of person you are...I tend to go into the various bars and get in conversation with other people and staff just to keep from going crazy..not everyone can do that and for females I am sure it is a bit different

I'm not a huge bar person - I don't mind going in them myself, but I don't really drink much so a lot of the appeal is lost. I'm super prone to getting swimmer's ear (I once got it from *showering*), so I'm definitely not planning on going to either of the water parks - I'll stick to the pool where I can keep my head above water. I'm also obese, and Universal makes me nervous because I really don't need the embarrassment of being turned away from a ride after waiting in line for an hour. I'd rather just avoid the potential entirely and stick to parks where I know I can ride whatever I want.

I go quite a few solo trips and I like going for 6 days I feel like I am not rushed and I can get a lot done.

How long is too long, well that's a tough question. I personally like to travel and the longest I spent on solo vacation was a month, however that was not all Disney. The lonest I spent on a solo Disney vacation was 14 days and if didn't plan other non-Disney activities to mix things up it might have been too long. Good luck with your planning.

When I go solo during F&W I keep uping the amount of days, I started with 4, that wasn't enough so I went to 5 and this year I'm going for 6 nights 7 days and I'm pretty sure that is not going to be enough. I tend to schedule too much for the festival then don't get quality park time in. I go twice a year so 7 nights per trip is good for me. I know when we used to go every other year, 7 nights was not enough. I like to spend time at the pool, time just wandering around the parks and sitting and relaxing and soaking it all in.

My first solo trip was in the slow season (Sept) and I was there for 12 days.
It wasn't too long for me. I could have stayed longer. Another 5-6 days
would have been great. I'd love to try a month to see if it was "too long"
a stay.

I'm planning a trip to WDW sometime in January/February 2018. It's going to be in celebration of me finally getting my bachelor's degree after returning to college two and a half years ago. Since this will be my second Disney visit within a year's time, I'm planning on buying an annual pass, and I don't have any constraints on when I need to return home apart from how long I can stretch my dollars (and at an All-Star resort in winter with an AP discount, I can stretch them a prrrreeeeeeetty long way). How long of a stay is too long? At what point does Disney start getting boring?

Jen_G, I'm actually planning a solo trip the exact time you are, the end of January and into February. I'm planning (as of now) doing 10 days. I've done mostly 7 days in the past but I'd like to relax more and have a couple of non-park days. I'll probably be staying at one of the All Star resorts so it's more affordable but might do a few days at at a moderate or deluxe for a few days at the end of the trip.

I think 10 days is about right for me most of the time with a few non-full days in the park mixed in. It's nice to look forward to a pool day, a shopping day, another theme park (I've done Universal, Busch Gardens, Sea World and even the Kennedy Space Center) for a change of pace. Around 10 days is also when I get the hankering to go home, eat real food, sleep in my bed, see my everyday friends, etc...
Have a fantastic trip!

I go quite a few solo trips and I like going for 6 days I feel like I am not rushed and I can get a lot done.

That was part of what I liked about the trip with my mom - even though we only had six days there, we never really felt rushed. I know we must have missed so much - we never even made it to the back section of Epcot! - but we had a great time.

How long is too long, well that's a tough question. I personally like to travel and the longest I spent on solo vacation was a month, however that was not all Disney. The lonest I spent on a solo Disney vacation was 14 days and if didn't plan other non-Disney activities to mix things up it might have been too long. Good luck with your planning.

Holy cow, a month! That must have been an awesome time. I don't think I could handle a month's vacation unless I was renting a place with a kitchen, the lack of "real food" would probably kill me. I think 14 days would probably be towards my limit as well.

When I go solo during F&W I keep uping the amount of days, I started with 4, that wasn't enough so I went to 5 and this year I'm going for 6 nights 7 days and I'm pretty sure that is not going to be enough. I tend to schedule too much for the festival then don't get quality park time in. I go twice a year so 7 nights per trip is good for me. I know when we used to go every other year, 7 nights was not enough. I like to spend time at the pool, time just wandering around the parks and sitting and relaxing and soaking it all in.

I hear the F&W festival is pretty amazing, though. I'd like to go someday myself. Maybe I could wrangle my dad into a trip down, he's a wine connoisseur and would probably get a kick out of it. I totally agree that if you're going more than once a year, shorter trips become more appealing. I don't think I'd want to do a 2-week-long trip twice a year, but as a one-time graduation trip I think it would work. I'm also not sure when the next time I'd be able to go on a trip would be, since after that will come grad school and then job hunting.

My first solo trip was in the slow season (Sept) and I was there for 12 days.
It wasn't too long for me. I could have stayed longer. Another 5-6 days
would have been great. I'd love to try a month to see if it was "too long"
a stay.

If you do end up staying for a month, let me know how you liked it!

Jen_G, I'm actually planning a solo trip the exact time you are, the end of January and into February. I'm planning (as of now) doing 10 days. I've done mostly 7 days in the past but I'd like to relax more and have a couple of non-park days. I'll probably be staying at one of the All Star resorts so it's more affordable but might do a few days at at a moderate or deluxe for a few days at the end of the trip.

Heeeey! Hello there, trip buddy! Here's hoping we get some nice weather (although anything is going to be better than winter in New England). I've actually started looking in to renting a DVC studio at the Animal Kingdom Lodge, since the Value studios aren't that much more expensive than a room at an All-Star, but the fact that I'd have to rent them so far in advance in order to have a shot at a reservation is worrying me a little. I've never stayed at a deluxe before, and it sounds pretty spectacular - I hope you're able to get one for a couple of days too.

I think 10 days is about right for me most of the time with a few non-full days in the park mixed in. It's nice to look forward to a pool day, a shopping day, another theme park (I've done Universal, Busch Gardens, Sea World and even the Kennedy Space Center) for a change of pace. Around 10 days is also when I get the hankering to go home, eat real food, sleep in my bed, see my everyday friends, etc...
Have a fantastic trip!

I'm going with my cousin and her son to Orlando in May, and I know that she would like to do a day or two at Universal. I've kind of avoided it in the past because I've heard that a lot of their rides are not really fat-friendly, and I didn't want the stress of wondering if I was going to get turned away, but if things go well in May then I could definitely add a few days there to the schedule. Does Busch Gardens still have an animal park section, or are they all rides these days? I haven't been to one in ages, and I don't think I ever visited the one in Florida, just Williamsburg.

We were there for 2 weeks once. It wasn't too long because we did other things besides schlepping to a park every day. We rented watercraft one day, we toured Celebration one day, we did outlet shopping one day. There's a fair amount to do within an hour's or so drive of Disney...Universal, beaches, Kennedy Space Center etc. If I were going to spend every day just in Disney and going to parks, 8-10 days would probably be enough.

Does Busch Gardens still have an animal park section, or are they all rides these days? I haven't been to one in ages, and I don't think I ever visited the one in Florida, just Williamsburg.

They do have animal park section and animal experiences you can partake in. It's in Tampa so a bit of a drive, but a great day trip. Plus, you could see the gulf side of the ocean.

Not solo, but my longest trip to Disney was 15 nights (just me and my kids). We did stay off site that trip (the last two weeks of August), and had a condo, so I cooked a lot of simple meals.

That trip was very inexpensive! I got the rental car for about $200 all in, and our condos (we switched after the first 5 nights) were total less than $1,000 (Interval International "getaways" that are a great deal off season, since Orlando was dead at that time). It would have cost us more to stay at a value resort probably!

If you're looking at a longer trip, maybe having a car for at least part of the time may be nice, to explore Orlando, buy in some healthy groceries or adult beverages, etc. I could totally do two weeks (if I could get away alone, LOL). I now go mostly with my DD who is now 17, since she and I are the two that really enjoy Disney. Matter of fact, she & I travel better than all of us together - we tend to bicker too much after a while! She & I are going next summer to Hawaii for 4 weeks (and the boys will join us after the first two).

I think it wouldn't be too much "Disney" for me solo for longer than a week, but I'd feel like I needed some freedom to drive around and either check out other things or spend less on food!

I could probably manage about 8 days for a solo trip staying at a VALUE resort - but only if I brought along a coffee maker. Staying at a value - that would be long enough for me - because they don't have a pool slide (pool slides mean I spend more time at the pool), I'd want my own bed by then, and there's no microwave so I'd probably be running out of decent in-room dining options.

I could easily stay 10-14 days in a DVC studio - because that gains me the better pool, kitchenette area, better bed, and a few more nice places around the resort to just relax. I do think after two weeks - that I would be ready to see new stuff and probably start thinking more about real life again (like the amount of work I woudl have to make up at work). I'd pick an AKV studio because that resort is SO awesome - though I'd consider a split stay.

I do a "fair amount" of in-room dining with food from the grocery store on solo trips - simply to avoid too much overeating and to save some money - and the values aren't great for that. Don't get me wrong - I'd probably have one ADR on most days - but I get sick of QS dining options pretty quick.

To the OP who was concerned about US/IoA because of physical size - you can try the ride seats in ones that are restricted before you ever get in line - and you can find out a lot of that in advance of even going to the parks. The Harry Potter stuff is amazing - so don't be scared of those parks because of your size.

Congratulations on going back to college!! I have been going to WDW since I was 12 (I am 48 now) and it has never gotten boring for me. In fact, while some people cannot wait for WDW to change attractions and bring in new ones, I sorely miss the old ones. I never get tired of it. I am going the end of October for a week and fear it will seem like not enough time, but since I have a partner who refuses to come with me, I will want to come home to him (and the dogs) after a week. Otherwise, I'd stay for two weeks.
:tigger:

I personally have found that it really depends on how busy the parks are and how much time you want to spend at the parks each day.

If it is during value season and attendance is lower, you can get through all of the rides and activities much quicker. It if it peak season, lines will be longer and getting everything done will take a while. If you are looking at Jan/Feb, the parks are super busy around New Year's and President's Day and a little busy for MLK Jr. Day. The rest of the month is much less busy.

My DH and I prefer 5 pretty full days at the parks (2 days at MK and 1 each for the other 3 parks). If you want some pool time, down time or time at a non-Disney facility, you may want to add some more days. It may also depend on how much energy you can maintain. We once did 7 pretty full days (in our late 20s at the time) and while we were not bored, we were super tired at the end and we decided we could handle 5 days much better.

Last edited:
For DW and I what got boring, or more appropriately tiring, was extended living in a hotel room without a kitchen. Our limit was 10 days living on restaurant food.

There is so much to do at WDW that it is very hard to be bored with Disney.

Last year I did a 2 week solo trip and this year I'm going solo again for 2 weeks. I always spend all my time at Disney and never visit Universal for example. I guess Disney never bores me. Last year I spent the last day of my trip at MK and I really had a hard time leaving the park at night to return to my room. I think 3 weeks would become a little too much but 2 weeks is perfect for me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter