how long is the leeway on reservations?

cjnix29

DIS Veteran
I have a 9:05 at Cape May, and I am worried we won't make it over there in time. How long do they hold your reservations?

I have a 9:05 at Cape May, and I am worried we won't make it over there in time. How long do they hold your reservations?

Depends on the restaurant and how busy they are. We lost our dinner ones at Boma one night after 20 minutes but we had no problem being seated at 50's PTC being 15 minutes late. These are my only 2 personal experiences with tardiness at WDW.

I see most often reported that after 15 minutes, you lose your ADR/place in line (so you could be turned away altogether or sent to the back of the checked in people, depending on the restaurant/day).

The thread I saw where someone was turned away, it was 20 minutes (past the reservation time not past the "check in time"), but she had been standing in the line for 25 minutes! And they still turned her away, even though she had been in line at her reservation time!

1) Officially, there is no leeway.
2) Unofficially, most eateries give you 15-minutes.
3) After that, the ADR is canceled.
4) If they are not busy, they might try to fit you in.
5) If busy, you go to the end of the line and wait - with no estimate of time.

6) Moral to the story, be on time.

I've checked with CMs at several buffet restaurants, one of which is Chef Mickey's - can't get any busier than that one - and she told me they hold it for hours. She actually showed me the system on the computer and how it blocks off no-shows, and keeps the reservation open.

It was an interesting conversation, Tiger

If we are running late (more than 10-15 min) we call and let them know. Only once do I remember having a problem when we finally got to the restaurant (and I don't remember where it was).

Cyn

I've checked with CMs at several buffet restaurants, one of which is Chef Mickey's - can't get any busier than that one - and she told me they hold it for hours. She actually showed me the system on the computer and how it blocks off no-shows, and keeps the reservation open.

It was an interesting conversation, Tiger

What they say and what actually happens are two different things...

I would say that most of the time they do not hold it for hours. When we hear about it on the boards, we normally hear 15-20 minutes give or take.

I just wouldn't make reservations you "think" you might be late for. Make reservations for what you think you can make within normal situations (meaning not getting stuck on rides or the monorail). Note: this comment is based off of the way the OP was written.

1) Officially, there is no leeway.
2) Unofficially, most eateries give you 15-minutes.
3) After that, the ADR is canceled.
4) If they are not busy, they might try to fit you in.
5) If busy, you go to the end of the line and wait - with no estimate of time.

6) Moral to the story, be on time.

Thanks for sharing your "in the know" "know" :goodvibes

(It's nice to have a CM on the board that you can count on for the low down)

The thread I saw where someone was turned away, it was 20 minutes (past the reservation time not past the "check in time"), but she had been standing in the line for 25 minutes! And they still turned her away, even though she had been in line at her reservation time!
What line?
If you are there punctually and they won't serve you, use Guest Relations as a semi-last resort.

Should I resuggest that Tusker House breakfast ADR holders from off site park at Animal Kingdom Lodge and catch the bus to Animal Kingdom to avoid being stuck at the still closed toll plaza past ADR time early in the morning?

It is reasonable to be fitted in line just after all those ADR holders whose ADR time has arrived and also whose entire party has arrived.

Notes from the chronically late:

1. Get the phone numbers for all of the restaurants on your list and note them with your confirmations
2. Call the restaurant if you are going to be more than 15 min late

In my experience with being late (which is vast), if you call you will not have a problem. The only restaurant I will be on time every time is Boma, after I witnessed someone in line in front of me being turned away for being 23 minutes late (I was 10 min late).

I have learned not to stress about being "on time" on vacation, mainly after several instances of mutiny by my family. I like to run a tight ship, and not everyone is a fan. It's easier on everyone, including me, when I don't have to be a task master.

I was running late for my reservation at Kona Cafe in the morning, so I called BWV front desk and asked for the number so I could call and let them know and she said "That's not necesary, they will hold your table". We ended up being about 15-20 min late with no problems, it seems dinner would be more of a problem though since it's busier.

So far we haven't had a problem with this. Our one experience with late was at Bistro de Paris and they held the reservation. There are usually not crowds waiting to get in there. I remember running (almost) from Soarin' to Bistro to tell them that we were coming. My 7 month pregnant DiL was in the party and she took a more sedate pace. they were very nice about it.
Question--where's the best place o get phone numbers for the restaurants? They aren't listed anywhere that I could find on the Boards.

Every time I have asked I have been told that after 15 minutes past your ADR time you go into the regular "standby" queue for available tables.

It's notable that your party will not have a table held and waiting for you. An ADR doesn't do anything but puts you in line for the next available table that will fit your party.

I don't know of any list of direct restaurant numbers but most of them can be found by Googling.

Notes from the chronically late:

1. Get the phone numbers for all of the restaurants on your list and note them with your confirmations
2. Call the restaurant if you are going to be more than 15 min late

In my experience with being late (which is vast), if you call you will not have a problem. The only restaurant I will be on time every time is Boma, after I witnessed someone in line in front of me being turned away for being 23 minutes late (I was 10 min late).

Well after reading this thread, I'm definately not going to try and fit the AK parade into our schedule. We have ressies at Boma for 4:20 or 4:30 and I really want to try that restaurant!!

Where on Disney's site can I find a list of the restaurant's phone numbers? I already have a list of my restaurants & ADRs. It's a great idea of adding the phone number's with that list!

A related question….

I plan on going to Fantasmic on Nov 14, 6:30 show. I have an ADR at 50’s Prime Time at 7:20 pm. What is the likelihood I’ll arrive at 50sPT on time, or within the supposed 10-15 minute grace period? Another way of phrasing this question, how long should I plan on to get from Fantasmic to 50sPT? I’ll continue to look for a later ADR just to be on the safe side, but I’m wondering if I’ll be OK even if I don’t get a later ADR.

Thanks!

Where on Disney's site can I find a list of the restaurant's phone numbers? I already have a list of my restaurants & ADRs. It's a great idea of adding the phone number's with that list!

Nowhere, they don't publish the direct numbers. You can find most of them easily by Googling.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter