How long is poultry safe?

leahjade

DIS Veteran
My turkey breast had sell by date of Dec. 2. I cooked the turkey then and am planning on using the leftovers to make a casserole tomorrow Dec. 5. Is that safe?

Yes, it will be fine! Usually the "sell by" date is not the same as the 'USE BY' date. And, since you cooked it, the 5th is perfectly safe. You can use turkey or any leftovers with in a week and they'll still be good. There are a few exceptions to that rule, but for the most part it's a week.

Yes - As long as it was not time or temperature abused before cooking and after cooking.

I.E. - Kept @ proper temp before cooking...
Properly cooked to 165...
Properly cooled...
Kept @ proper temp after cooking...

I think the health dept. usually says use up the leftovers within 4 days once cooked. No way would I be eating leftovers that have been around more than that. I think a week is way too much.

Yes, it will be fine! Usually the "sell by" date is not the same as the 'USE BY' date. And, since you cooked it, the 5th is perfectly safe. You can use turkey or any leftovers with in a week and they'll still be good. There are a few exceptions to that rule, but for the most part it's a week.

A week is way too long. "Cooked meat, poultry, and seafood: Store in the refrigerator 3 to 4 days."

http://www.foodsafety.gov/blog/meatinrefrig.html

my personal motto is if in doubt - throw it out! lol no food costs enough for me end get sick over :)

Example you provided about cooking on 2nd and then finishing up on the 5th is fine, as long as the meat was safely handled (as in not left sitting out long periods of time)

my personal rule (pork,beef,poultry) is pretty much 3 days assuming I know the food was handled safely. (seafood is 1 day for me I'll eat it for leftovers the next day, but that's it - it just gross's me out to think of eating any older than that! )

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter