• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How long has it taken to receive passport? (Lately)

kimknight1011

Earning My Ears
I applied for my daughters passport on feb 25. They told me back then that it would take two weeks. It is now over 6 weeks later and still no passport. I called the passport office and they were no help at all. They said it is still processing and they have no idea when it will be sent out. I asked if I upgrade to expediate processing now when should I have the passport and they said 2-3 weeks! The problem is I leave in 16 days! The passport office told me not to do expediate in feb because I would have it in my mailbox in two weeks and now I may not have a passport at all. Anyone recently having this issue?

If you are leaving in 16 days, you technically do not NEED the passport. The problem is that you have now sent off the birth certificate in order to get the passport. Can you get another certified birth certificate quickly? (this would depend on your state....some have a 6 week delay to get a copy) There is a phone number you can call if you are leaving in 7 days or less and have not yet received the passport.

Interestingly, 2 members of our May group applied for their passports 3 days apart. One was told that it would take 4 weeks, the second was told that it would take 3 weeks!

We just ran into something similar. My husband just became a US citizen and had to hand over his green card in the process so for him we NEEDED a passport. We don't cruise until May so he submitted the passport 2 weeks ago without expediting. When he went back and checked the timeframe got longer and longer so he called to expedite it -- it arrived via Fedex in 2 days!!!! It was worth the peace of mind to me to pay the extra and have the passport in hand so based on our experience, I would expedite it if you need to have it for the cruise.

Wow, I guess we were lucky. We do not cruise until October but may take a trip into Canada this summer so we got the kids their passports during Spring Break. We went to the post office on Friday, March 20 and received them in the mail on Monday, April 6. It took less than 3 weeks.

Interesting. My kids and I applied for passport renewals during the first week in March and I received mine on March 28. Still don't have the kids' back yet. And the passport status info web page has been out of service for some time now. I suppose I could call them but since we don't have any international travel booked in the near future there is no rush. But why would the kids' renewal take so much longer than mine?

Interesting. My kids and I applied for passport renewals during the first week in March and I received mine on March 28. Still don't have the kids' back yet. And the passport status info web page has been out of service for some time now. I suppose I could call them but since we don't have any international travel booked in the near future there is no rush. But why would the kids' renewal take so much longer than mine?

Kids passports are not considered renewals, even if they have had one before. They are processed as new passports and usually take a little longer than renewals.

We applied March 12th and got them back March 30th so a little over 2 1/2 weeks.

Anyone trying to check the status of their passports online today? It has been down all day. I'm trying to find out if this is normal and how long it'll be down, but with no luck!

We applied February 28 and received them March 20 - just about 3 weeks. We were never able to track them online - always said that our information wasn't in the system.

Anyone trying to check the status of their passports online today? It has been down all day. I'm trying to find out if this is normal and how long it'll be down, but with no luck!

I've been trying to check the status of DH's and have been getting the 'down for maintanance' message since Sunday.

We applied on March 8th and got all of back on April 6th from the New Orleans office. Sometimes one office is backed up, whereas another office might not be. I had no luck on the online system either.

The DW & I went to renew the DS's x 2 yesterday. We were told that it was taking around 4 weeks currently to get them back. I hope they come back this quickly. We booked a last minute cruise yesterday, and cruise in less than 2 months.

Worst case, we'll have to go and get original birth certificates issued for them again.

We just went last Saturday to apply and the guy said it would take 2-3 weeks! But, he was an idiot so we don't believe him!:lmao:

Sorry to get a little off topic, but DH and I are going on a DCL in May 2010. I haven't had a passport since I was 7, and he has never had one. I tried to look up online how to get a passport (I know I have to start from scratch), but I got really confused...:scared: How exactly do we go about getting one? From what I understood, we go to the post office and fill out a form and submit one of those little photos that you can get done at walgreens? Is there more to it than that? EEk!!!! My parents don't even remember how they got their passports it has been so long. Hehe. But any advice would be appreciated!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter