How long for stent after ureteroscopy?

2012DisneyWorldBride

<font color=royalblue>I was a Disney Bride on 12.8
I am having ureteroscopy on Thursday for a 4mm kidney stone that I have stuck in my ureter a few inches above my bladder. The stone has now been stuck about a month and has not moved with flomax. The urologist has already said that I will need a stent put in. I'm curious anyone that has had a ureteral stent put in after ureteroscopy how long the dr wanted it left in? He said 3 days probably but since its being done on Thursday... They probably won't take it out till Monday.

How much pain did u have with the stent? Any remedies to help with the pain besides the pain meds? Any thing I should ask for?

I'm pretty sure he will be putting a stent with string for removal in office. How was it to get it yanked out ? Any words of advice there?

I'm soooo hoping there are no complications and my stent will come out in under 2 weeks since we leave for Disney December 7...

Thanks!!

I am having ureteroscopy on Thursday for a 4mm kidney stone that I have stuck in my ureter a few inches above my bladder. The stone has now been stuck about a month and has not moved with flomax. The urologist has already said that I will need a stent put in. I'm curious anyone that has had a ureteral stent put in after ureteroscopy how long the dr wanted it left in? He said 3 days probably but since its being done on Thursday... They probably won't take it out till Monday.

How much pain did u have with the stent? Any remedies to help with the pain besides the pain meds? Any thing I should ask for?

I'm pretty sure he will be putting a stent with string for removal in office. How was it to get it yanked out ? Any words of advice there?

I'm soooo hoping there are no complications and my stent will come out in under 2 weeks since we leave for Disney December 7...

Thanks!!

I had three lithotripsies to get rid of one stone (first two didn't break it up). I had a stent in for two weeks after each litho. It wasn't acutely painful, just felt like a low-grade bladder infection and felt like I had to urinate all the time. It was more "annoying" than "painful". I didn't find anything that made it feel better. The stents were removed in the doctor's office. It wasn't a terribly painful occasion, just a quick pain. Just make sure you drink lots of water.

I had three lithotripsies to get rid of one stone (first two didn't break it up). I had a stent in for two weeks after each litho. It wasn't acutely painful, just felt like a low-grade bladder infection and felt like I had to urinate all the time. It was more "annoying" than "painful". I didn't find anything that made it feel better. The stents were removed in the doctor's office. It wasn't a terribly painful occasion, just a quick pain. Just make sure you drink lots of water.

Thanks... I'm so not looking forward to it. I'm hoping that the stent is in for a shorter time because I have 15 days after surgery before we leave for Disney!!!

Glad to find this thread. A family member is having this procedure and I am looking for all the inside info I can find!

My DW had a blockage last year. They did surgery on the bladder, (a small tumor just as it comes into the bladder, they cut out the tumor and reattached the ureter to the bladder, stent put in to keep everything open until it healed. That was the very end of May, I believe they were going to leave the stent in for 4-6 weeks, well the time to take the stent out was just a couple days before our Disney trip with DS and family, Doctor told DW, "Ah, we'll take it out when you get back" took maybe 5 min to remove the stent and no it didn't have a string. She has a scope done every 6 months now of the bladder, that only takes about 5 min. No pain with the stent either, didn't even know it was there.

My DW had a blockage last year. They did surgery on the bladder, (a small tumor just as it comes into the bladder, they cut out the tumor and reattached the ureter to the bladder, stent put in to keep everything open until it healed. That was the very end of May, I believe they were going to leave the stent in for 4-6 weeks, well the time to take the stent out was just a couple days before our Disney trip with DS and family, Doctor told DW, "Ah, we'll take it out when you get back" took maybe 5 min to remove the stent and no it didn't have a string. She has a scope done every 6 months now of the bladder, that only takes about 5 min. No pain with the stent either, didn't even know it was there.
Thanks, I appreciate that info.

Thanks, I appreciate that info.

I talked to her about it last night, she said really was no pain, but if she moved right, she "knew" something was there. Just felt different, also, her stent was in 9 weeks just because we were going to WDW and the Doctor wanted to take no chances of any complications while we were gone, otherwise it would have been 6 weeks. As far as taking it out, no string, (I'll let you use your own imagination on how they took it out, :rolleyes:) but only took about a minute she said when they removed it.

I talked to her about it last night, she said really was no pain, but if she moved right, she "knew" something was there. Just felt different, also, her stent was in 9 weeks just because we were going to WDW and the Doctor wanted to take no chances of any complications while we were gone, otherwise it would have been 6 weeks. As far as taking it out, no string, (I'll let you use your own imagination on how they took it out, :rolleyes:) but only took about a minute she said when they removed it.
Thanks so much for the additional info! Nine weeks is a long time. But, that she could go to WDW with it in, makes me hopeful about how it will go. (I am asking for a male family member. Who also happens to have a trip to Disney planned 2 weeks after the procedure! Not sure if he will be making it!)

I'm a nurse who has worked in post-op urology and surgery, plus had to have a stent myself post a 20mm kidney stone removal.

I hated it. So much. As described above it was constantly uncomfortable with no relief. Pyridium helped more than narcotic medication, but it was still very unpleasant. I was supposed to have it in two weeks, but after 10 days I called the office and said someone was pulling it out... them or me, but I was done.

Now, I've seen people have absolutely no problem. Multiple times people have came back to us because the never had their stent removed and kept in for months or years after. Others experience minor discomfort. Some people, like myself, would describe it as painful. It is just unrelenting. Other post op surgical pain can be relieved by meds, ice, walking... I couldn't find anything to make it stop. Essentially I'd rather have a pain of 8 that I can get down to a 2 or 3 rather than a constant 5.

Good luck.

I'm a nurse who has worked in post-op urology and surgery, plus had to have a stent myself post a 20mm kidney stone removal.

I hated it. So much. As described above it was constantly uncomfortable with no relief. Pyridium helped more than narcotic medication, but it was still very unpleasant. I was supposed to have it in two weeks, but after 10 days I called the office and said someone was pulling it out... them or me, but I was done.

Now, I've seen people have absolutely no problem. Multiple times people have came back to us because the never had their stent removed and kept in for months or years after. Others experience minor discomfort. Some people, like myself, would describe it as painful. It is just unrelenting. Other post op surgical pain can be relieved by meds, ice, walking... I couldn't find anything to make it stop. Essentially I'd rather have a pain of 8 that I can get down to a 2 or 3 rather than a constant 5.

Good luck.

Thanks for the info, MomRN!

We are hoping for the best. I guess that is all we can do right now.
Definitely not looking forward to it, but it has to be done.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter