• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How long does it take to walk AK entrance to Safari etc?

Katholicchik

Mouseketeer
Trying to get a scope of the Animal Kingdom park: how long does it take to walk from the entrance to Safari or from Safari to Everest?? TIA!

I would like to know also. I'm getting ready to do fastpasses next week and want to do the Safari first then Everest. I have gone there and walked straight to the Safari but I cant remember how long it took. I'm guessing about 10 minutes. Has anyone timed this ?

I'm guessing about 10 minutes.

If you walk fast.

DAK-Mornings-All_011914_zpsfd29024f.jpg

(You can ignore the "Parade Route" shown as, sadly, the parade is long gone.)

Last edited:

To Kilimanjaro Safari from the front gate: 10-15 minutes, if you walk fast and there's no parade going on at that time.

From Kilimanjar Safari to Expedition Everest: 10-15 minutes, again if you walk fast and there's no parade/crowds. We usually meander through the forest trails, though, so we usually take about 45 mins to an hour to go from KS to EE. Longer if we stop for Flights of Wonder.

Keep in mind, it's a pretty big park, with only one main access area to/from the front gate. That bottleneck between the Oasis & the Tree of Life can be a real pain in the neck.

I think AK seems like a big park because everything is so spread out. But it's only about 1/3 mile from front gate to Safari, so 5 minutes if speed-walking, 10 minutes if strolling. About the same distance from Safari to Everest.

To Kilimanjaro Safari from the front gate: 10-15 minutes, if you walk fast and there's no parade going on at that time.

From Kilimanjar Safari to Expedition Everest: 10-15 minutes, again if you walk fast and there's no parade/crowds. We usually meander through the forest trails, though, so we usually take about 45 mins to an hour to go from KS to EE. Longer if we stop for Flights of Wonder.

Keep in mind, it's a pretty big park, with only one main access area to/from the front gate. That bottleneck between the Oasis & the Tree of Life can be a real pain in the neck.

I would definitely allow for 15 minutes if it's a busy time of year.

Keep in mind a small part of that 10-15 minutes is up hill. Nothing like a brisk uphill walk to get your legs going for the day!:tiptoe:

It's a third of a mile along paths from gate to Safari. The pace is brisk to be sure, but I've made it at rope drop (no obstructions) in 5 minutes.

Also, keep in mind that 15 minutes is from the gate when you enter the park, not from your car which you also have to wait for, board and ride a tram to the gate.

Gate to Safari:

5 minutes Really Fast Walkers (running to some of us)
10 minutes Walkers with Purpose (meaning not running, but definitely moving)
15 minutes Walkers with Short Legs and Meanders and Picture Takers
20 minutes Slow Walkers, Injured Walkers, Shutterbugs, Looky-Loos

It's a third of a mile from the front gate to the entrance of KS, another roughly tenth of a mile from the entrance to the boarding station. Depending on your walking pace and the crowds that could be anywhere from about 4 minutes to about 20 minutes.

It's another third of a mile from KS to EE if you cut through Asia. Again, this can be done in 4 or 5 minutes up to 20 minutes plus. If you from KS through Discovery Island and Dino Land the trip to EE is a little over a half mile and will take a good bit longer. You can probably add about half to the above times.

The easiest way to determine walking times is to jump on Geodistance. You can use a map or satellite image and plot out your course. Once you have your distances and a decent idea of terrain you can plot out a similar course near where you live and get a very good idea of what it will take you and your party. At least that's how I do it.

Think there'd be less bottle necking if you went from KS to EE via Dinoland or does that not matter bc of nemo and EE having a crowd?

And great insight in general. I will check out geodistance. Thanks!!

How long walk from the safari to the Tree of life for the bug show ?

8-10 minutes.
The entrance to It's Tough to Be a Bug is directly on the opposite side of the Tree of Life from Africa.

There is (if it is not CLOSED) a short-cut "secret path" that will cut your walk-time down quite a bit.
It is the yellow line ("Secret" Path 1) on the old map I posted below.
It can be a bit hard to find, as it is not really marked.
It is a path that heads into the trees just past the south end of the bridge coming from Africa.
(When I was at DAK in Feb. of this year, that path was not open due to construction.)

DAK-D_Isle-Paths_x2_041011.jpg

Last edited:
You people are making me feel really old with all this 5 or 10 mins walking times. First time we walked to the safari, my DH asked if we hit New Jersey yet.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter