• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How long does it take to do Knottsberry Farms?

starlette

Mouseketeer
We have scheduled a day in our Disneyland vacation to do something else other than Disneyland. I know! How dare we?! :teeth: So...were thinking of going to Knottsberry Farms. How long of a day should we plan for if we wanted to ride most of the rides and see any shows (if there are any)?

Knott's is a pretty full day. It's about 20 minutes from DL. Be prepared, it's not as well kept as DL and you'll find a lot of rowdy older teens in the evenings.

I don't know who your traveling with (age-wise) but I have stopped going to Knott's all together because of the "bad crowd" that they attract. We live nearby and it really has gone down hill. The last time we were there my 5 year old found a used condom under our dining table (while we were eating), our 8 year old was pushed in the bouncehouse and got a good sized burn on her leg, I can't even count how many times rude teens (and adults) ran into us while walking, cut in front of us and our camera was stolen from our stroller while my husband was pushing it. (kid dropped change nearby and bent down to pick up-grabbed our camera at the same time!)
If you have younger or curious kids, I would suggest the Aquarium of the Pacific in Long Beach -it could be a full day attraction. The exhibits are wonderful, it is a very casual atmosphere and relaxing while being educational and interesting.They have a website if you'd like more information.
For younger kids (9 and under) I would also recommend Legoland in Carlsbad over Knotts. Much more relaxing, kid friendly, non-existant lines and reasonably priced food.
If you are looking for thrills than Magic Mountain is the place and it has actually cleaned up (as far as rowdies) recently.

Something else to consider, Now through June are prime season for school parties at Knott's which means even more crowds of unsupervised kids. They offer discounted tickets to schools all over SoCal and kids by the busload come from hours away for end of the year parties.

Good Luck, Andrea

I've been to Knott's many times with young kids and never had a bad experience. We enjoy going very much. In fact, the only time I've had things taken have been at Disneyland. Camp Snoopy is a great place for young kids and they've got some good shows.

I have to agree with the post about how Knotts has gone downhill. We were huge Knotts fans and made it a point of going every time we were in Anaheim. We had been seeing a decline for a while but the last time we went nobody had fun. It may be true that Camp Snoopy is still OK but my daughter and her friends are too old for that now and they found the rest of the park intimidating (people more than the park I guess :sad2: )....we wouldn't leave their sides! This is one family who won't be heading back. :guilty:

We have a 5, 3, and 1 year old, and the boys LOVE it! We go to Knotts twice a year during our Fall and Spring Break. There is enough to do for both adults and kids! Camp Snoopy is a blast! The times we go the park is empty, and we feel like we own it! NO LINES! We have never encountered any rowdy teens or have had anything stolen and we have been going for the past 4 years now!

I'm kinda sad to hear the bad reports. :sad2: My husband and I were there almost 18 years ago. I remember having a good time back then. My kids are 16, 13, and 8. I mentioned Magic Mountain as an alternative and they didn't seem interested.

Dang....I don't know what to do now. :confused3

I'm going to have to have my husband read this thread and then make up our minds as to whether we really want to go or not.

I appreciate everyone's help!

I would still go, we are going in August. Everyone has their own perspective of what or infringes on their comfort zone. When we were at MM there were some unsavory types up there, but there also was a fair amount of security..
If we were intimidated by people acting like jerks,(and they are everywhere) we would have to skip most places including Disneyland.

Jack pirate:

Can't wait for the chicken dinner

"If we were intimidated by people acting like jerks,(and they are everywhere) we would have to skip most places including Disneyland."

I didn't think of it that way but you are so right. At this point in time, we are still planning on going. :)

Thanks Jack!

We went for a day last Oct. The park was (literally) empty. The ride attendants were just sitting around waiting for people to walk up. Our kids loved getting to ride the rides in Camp Snoopy over and over.

We never had any problems at all with rude people or out of control teens. I tend to agree with Jack... you'll find them everywhere. I know I've ran into more than my fair share of them at Disney (including a jerk CM at Playhouse Disney just a few days ago) but I don't let that keep me from going where I want to go. I say go and have fun. :)

Oh and fwiw, I also agree with Andrea about the aquarium. We went there a few years ago too and the kids loved it. It's a totally different kind of experience though. Just depends on what kind of stuff you're looking for.

I used to love Knott's Berry Farm when I was a kid and went often in the 60s and 70s. I have not been in many years. My sister, who lives in So Ca, will no longer go, as she says it is overrun with "gang bangers" and unruly crowds.

I mentioned Magic Mountain as an alternative

I also have not been to Magic Mountain in many years, but the last time I went I said, "never again," due to the same problems as mentioned about Knott's Berry Farm.

If you wind up going, make sure you let us know what it was like.

Jack pirate:

blackjackdelta said:
If you wind up going, make sure you let us know what it was like.

Jack pirate:

I most definitely will! Thanks Jack and everyone else who took time to help me out! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter