How long does ear pain last before an infection can show up??

nessz79

DIS Veteran
I'm so frustrated. My poor just-turned-6 year old has been sick since his birthday on Thursday. He's had an ear ache and fever since Friday night so today makes close to 6 days with an ear ache and fever. I brought him to the doctor on Monday (day 3/4) but no infection. I called and they want me to bring him in again today. If an infection doesn't show up, I'm going to be flabbergasted. How long can a poor kid be sick with my not being able to do anything for him? I know that doctors don't want to prescribe antibiotics for a virus and I understand that...just feeling frustrated right now. Anyone been here?

Did they check him for strep or a sinus infection? Strep seems to be going around.
I hope he feels better soon.:hug:

My 13 DS has been running a fever since Friday night with headache and sore throat. Went to dr Monday and he has sinus infection with fluid in ear. He's on augmentin but is still running a temp of about 101 (it had been up to 103). It's very frustrating. I hope your DS is feeling better soon.

I've had several allergy/sinus related ear aches. In the pharmacy (I know CVS carries it) there is an OTC remedy for ear aches. I've used it myself several times and used it for my DD. I don't remember the brand name, I think it is something like Simisilian, but it could be spelled differently.

When I've used it I felt instant relief.

Colds can last up to 3wks. Heck,I had a sinus infection and strep 3wks ago and Iam still coughing up a storm.

Even as an adult I am still getting ear infections, and I have never had pain before the infection showed. With my 2 kids the infection is often caught before they complain of pain. It sounds like there is a good chance his pain is just radiating to the ear from somewhere else. I had a tooth broken at the base that only caused ear pain. Thankfully a good dr was able to steer me to the dentist.

Colds can last up to 3wks. Heck,I had a sinus infection and strep 3wks ago and Iam still coughing up a storm.

I realize colds can last, but I think it strange that he can have a fever and ear ache for so long with no infection. His fever was 103 this morning.

I had jury duty today so my MIL took him for me and I'll get the update soon. My other son now has the same thing. Ear ache and fever. This is a strange virus. :confused3

My ds is 21 months old. He has had 3 ear infections since Oct. We took him in today to make sure the last one from a few weeks ago is all cleared up.

Sunday night he had a fever and was complaining that his ear hurt. We were up until 5:30. Well when we took him in today no infection but he has a lot of fluid in his ears. He's on an antibiotic to help with the fluid and to insure that he doesn't get another ear infection. She told me if there is fluid in the ear than it can cause them to be in pain, it's what caused it the other night.

My DS came in my room the other day at 2:30 am crying because his ear hurt so bad. I had ear drops I put in them and in the morning I took him to school. Since that was the first mention of his ear hurting, I didn't think it could be an infection, yet, and would probably clear up. At 11:00 the school nurse called. I took him to the dr since I already had an appt for the baby (she has RSV, came early, 6 weeks old, second infection, whole other story). Anyways, he already had a nasty infection and his ear drum was bulging. They said it would probably drain that night (get a small hole in it that would heal itself). It wouldn't hurt anymore, but he would still have the infection, so 10 days of antibiotics. All this happened within 12 of the onset of pain.
Good luck with you son. I know it can be frustrating. Hope he feels better soon.

Thanks everyone! Well, my MIL was able to take him to the doctor and the infection finally "showed up." Both ears. This happened last year also. He was sick with fever and ear ache over a weekend, we took him in Monday- no infection. He continued to be sick and by Wed/Thur the infection appeared.

On the other hand, my other son got an ear ache and fever this morning. We took him at the same time as my son (who's been sick for days) and his infection was immediately apparent.

I just don't understand why my oldest doesn't have infections "show up" for days. It's hard for him to have to go days with a fever and ear ache and us come home with nothing, knowing we'll be back again. I'm glad he has his antibiotics now, but I can't help feeling frustrated with the doctor.

Thanks everyone! Well, my MIL was able to take him to the doctor and the infection finally "showed up." Both ears. This happened last year also. He was sick with fever and ear ache over a weekend, we took him in Monday- no infection. He continued to be sick and by Wed/Thur the infection appeared.

On the other hand, my other son got an ear ache and fever this morning. We took him at the same time as my son (who's been sick for days) and his infection was immediately apparent.

I just don't understand why my oldest doesn't have infections "show up" for days. It's hard for him to have to go days with a fever and ear ache and us come home with nothing, knowing we'll be back again. I'm glad he has his antibiotics now, but I can't help feeling frustrated with the doctor.

It is natural to feel frustrated, but the Dr's are doing what they are supposed to do,which is not to prescribe any antiobiotics till they see a present infection.Antibiotics have been so misused for non-bacterial infections that alot of them don't work anymore.Sorry you had alot of running around.Kids are funny sometimes in how their infections take awhile to show up.

my lil girl had ear infections all the time when she was a baby, got the tubes put in, and didnt have another one. that was 2 years ago,they said they fall out, havnt seen em fall out, but who knows.

I'm sorry your son had to suffer for so long. Maybe it is time to talk to the ped because he may be starting with more inner ear than middle ear infections and they are harder to see and diagnose (I have had several and they are no fun). If they keep up than I would ask for a referral to an ENT doctor for their ideas.

My dd suffers from a lot of sinus infections which cause ear pain for her so tomorrow we are seeing the allergist to try and get control over these.

my lil girl had ear infections all the time when she was a baby, got the tubes put in, and didnt have another one. that was 2 years ago,they said they fall out, havnt seen em fall out, but who knows.

You generally don't see them when they fall out as they are very small. We have gone through 4 sets between my 2 oldest kids and then I had one tube put in in 2005 that fell out 3 days later. So not fun for an adult but made me realize how thankful I was they put kids under for it.

not sure but I had death flu last spring and day 4 I went to the doc finally and even though my ears were given the all clear, my lungs and body were a wreck and given 3 different prescriptions.

The very next day I woke up with an ear ache and vomiting. Called doc back and they said wait and see since my ears were clear the day before.

That evening my eardrum burst! I ended up at immediate treatment the following morning. So, yes, they can come on quick!

I hope it doesn't happen to your DD and that is passes quickly

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter