How long do you wear the button?

Since it's my teenage DS that's celebrating, I'm fairly certain that he won't be wearing a pin at all! :lmao:

The boys wore their First Time buttons for a few days when we had those, and I just took my We're Celebrating pin off of my bag from our trip in April, so I say wear them as long as you want to. :goodvibes

I wore mine on my actual birthday for just that day. I think it's dishonest to wear it for the entire trip. You were born on one day. People that wear the button extra are just trying to get more attention and perks.

I know that is going to set a lot of you off but I really see it as dishonest.

I wore mine on my actual birthday for just that day. I think it's dishonest to wear it for the entire trip. You were born on one day. People that wear the button extra are just trying to get more attention and perks.

You might want to tell Disney that it's dishonest then, since they are the ones encouraging it

We are planning a 13 day trip to Disney in honor of my birthday. If they make a mistake and give me my button on the first day of my tirp I plan to ware it every single day!!!, even thought my birthday is the second to last day of our trip.

(I don't want free stuff, I just want a 13 day birthday party!) :banana:

You wear the button for as long as it makes you happy. :wizard:

Exactly. Last year, I turned 40 at Disney World. I wore my button for several days on that trip. When I got tired of it, I took it off. The freebies were not the reason I wore it. Actually, my favorite thing was when another guest with a birthday button would wish ME a happy birthday!

I wouldn't say I feel angst if someone wears a pin more than their special day. Really, I don't care.
I think that's what most of the folks who are against wearing it more than one day feel. nothing. (except maybe a little silly)

When the pins are rare again - I will care. I will give honeymooners my extra fastpasses, I will allow birthday folks to get in line ahead of me, I will wish all a great______!

If you feel strongly that you are justified in wearing your pin longer, so be it. :lovestruc

Every trip to WDW is a celebration! I don't need a pin declaring it! (A quote just popped in my head, "Badges, we don't need no stinking badges!" Ha! Ha! Ha!) :wizard:

Just give me a Mickey bar (at whatever they cost these days) and I'm celebrating! :mickeybar:mickeybar:mickeybar

We wear our anniversary one for a couple of days. We usually go for 10 days.

I have seen some people wear 3 buttons at one time, Anniversary, 1st time, and Birthday. To me that's just a little too much.

I wear it all throughout our stay even if its 2 weeks since the birthady happened :)

You might want to tell Disney that it's dishonest then, since they are the ones encouraging it

:rotfl2: I didn't think I am the button police the OP asked and I answered.

Stating an opinion, I don't for a minute think that it's anything more than that :rotfl:

LOL-so my DD7 wore her button most of our trip in January. She loved the constant happy bdays, at first, then as she got tired she didnt want to keep saying Thank Yous, so we made her take it off. I felt that if she was going to wear it, for people to acknowledge it-on days that weren't even her bday, she must in turn be respectful and thank them...however, I understand hot, tired and cranky. So to avoid drama, we made her take it off, and put it on our backpack.
My son will be 5 on our trip, in 16 days (but I'm not counting) we'll see how long the button lasts. He too will have to remember his manners and say his thanks yous. Me I'm over them and our anniversary is on our trip as well and I dont think I'm going to wear it. Dont really want holes in my clothes either.

It does not set me off but I don't agree with you.
So far we have celebrated 4 birthdays in Disney and each time we were encouraged to wear the buttons the entire time. This was before Disney decided that there was money to be made by inviting folks there to celebrate those special occasions, and let me assure you that for the few "things" we got we spent a fortune in Disney resorts, parks, shops and restaurants. Yes there were a few cupcakes, a lot of Happy Birthdays and a lot of fun. Along with those little things there were hefty gratuities acknowledging the "free" cupcake and the well wishes, bottles of wine or pressed pots of coffee and celebratory shopping all week long. Yup, we got attention and we got a perk or two but nothing that we were not willing to pay for in the first place. And we had a ball each time.

Now I make sure that I pay it back when I see buttons and hats. I love wishing strangers a good special day, love seeing little Princesses and Pluto's beam when I wish them a Happy Birthday and am happy to send well wishes to newlyweds. What a nice invitation those buttons are to join in a celebration. I pay good money to leave reality behind and take my family into that very special world where birthdays and unbirthdays are weeklong parties and where we are all invited to someone elses party if just for that fleeting moment as we pass in a line.

I am 52 and have not had the chance to celebrate my birthday in Disney but after I make sure that we have celebrated the others I am going to have my turn......and I am wearing my button for more thatn one day. And we may not even get to go in my birthday month. No way would DD take DGD out of school in September so I may have to be one of those folks whose gift is given on a different date. I'll pay for my rip so I am not dishonest and I'll make sure that if a cupcake appears on my table it will be paid for in one way or another and i have been paying forward my well wishes for a long time.

So far we have celebrated 4 birthdays in Disney and each time we were encouraged to wear the buttons the entire time. This was before Disney decided that there was money to be made by inviting folks there to celebrate those special occasions, and let me assure you that for the few "things" we got we spent a fortune in Disney resorts, parks, shops and restaurants. Yes there were a few cupcakes, a lot of Happy Birthdays and a lot of fun. Along with those little things there were hefty gratuities acknowledging the "free" cupcake and the well wishes, bottles of wine or pressed pots of coffee and celebratory shopping all week long. Yup, we got attention and we got a perk or two but nothing that we were not willing to pay for in the first place. And we had a ball each time.

Now I make sure that I pay it back when I see buttons and hats. I love wishing strangers a good special day, love seeing little Princesses and Pluto's beam when I wish them a Happy Birthday and am happy to send well wishes to newlyweds. What a nice invitation those buttons are to join in a celebration. I pay good money to leave reality behind and take my family into that very special world where birthdays and unbirthdays are weeklong parties and where we are all invited to someone elses party if just for that fleeting moment as we pass in a line.

I am 52 and have not had the chance to celebrate my birthday in Disney but after I make sure that we have celebrated the others I am going to have my turn......and I am wearing my button for more thatn one day. And we may not even get to go in my birthday month. No way would DD take DGD out of school in September so I may have to be one of those folks whose gift is given on a different date. I'll pay for my rip so I am not dishonest and I'll make sure that if a cupcake appears on my table it will be paid for in one way or another and i have been paying forward my well wishes for a long time.

I echo your sentiments exactly. :thumbsup2

It sounds like you go alot, and that you're fortunate enough to be able to plan without the hassles of school and work schedules, etc. That is wonderful for you, that you get to spend the actual date at WDW. Others aren't as lucky, and as I put in my post, my DD isn't going to get a birthday party this year so we can go just before her bday. That's okay if you don't see the meaning or the special-ness of her bday -- I'm hoping lots of CMs and other guests will!

Sorry to single out your post, but really, if you think about it, they don't have meaning, anyway, except to the person who's wearing one.

I've been quite a few times, as listed in my signature. I do have to plan around school and a very demanding work schedule. Before DH retired, it was two demanding work schedules. We've never been for any of our birthdays before this year actually. And it never occurred to us to wear a birthday button when it wasn't our birthday. Not even when my daughter was young.

Don't build up your hopes that your daughter will get much in the way of birthday greetings. The buttons are so common now.

I've never been on my birthday - my day falls during Thanksgiving holiday so too crowded for me! I can say though that if I were at Disney to celebrate my birthday I'd wear my button on my day only. It really doesn't matter to me what CM's encourage folks to do - wearing the button and celebrating my birthday only means anything to me for that one day. :)

:thumbsup2 Well said!!

My 8yr old had a great time wearing his button in January. He wore it for one full day and two half days in the parks, and we arrived (gasp) the day after his official day.

And yep.....I get to follow suit. I was getting a little bummed about my upcoming last birthday in the 30's...only one more year to reach that awful "hill"! My sister, best sis ever :woohoo:, just booked us a last minute weekend at WL. Arriving on Sat for 1/2 day at MK, birthday on Sun at Epcot w/Mickey Mom's Illuminations Dessert Party, and 1/2 day Monday somewhere; we're winging it. I'll be proudly wearing that birthday button the whole time - not in anticipation of "free stuff", just because it it FUN!

We wear our anniversary one for a couple of days. We usually go for 10 days.

I have seen some people wear 3 buttons at one time, Anniversary, 1st time, and Birthday. To me that's just a little too much.

A couple of years ago I was at DL, and saw a whole family with at least 3 buttons a piece!:rotfl:

I snapped one to my purse one day. Otherwise, they are bulky, and just another thing to mess with.

I will be turning 40 on our next trip - and I will be wearing that Birthday button EVERY DAMN DAY! I don't care about any free cupcakes - but will gladly take "Happy Birthday"'s from CM for 9 straight days!

Here's the deal - even before the "Celebrate Today" theme...Disney encouraged you to celebrate like this. In 2007, we went with friends that gave the trip to their DD as a 9th birthday present...her birhtday was July 4th, but the trip was the end of September. We had a special birthday lunch at CRT, and I got her a button to wear for the day. I think she wore it a few days after as well.

In my case, I am there for the week to celebrate my birthday. I am celebrating the entire week, NOT just the one day. The button's don't say..."Today is my Birthday" they say "Celebrating a Birthday".

For those saying you shouldn't do this...I say "Don't be such a poo-poo-head!"

SkierPete

I wear my Birthday button on the actual day of my birthday only. I feel that if I wear the button from the very start of my trip then my birthday isn't special. And when you get to be my age, each one is special! :lmao: Now this is a personal choice. My brother wears his from the moment he receives it from the CM at the front deak. If that makes him happy then go for it!!! :thumbsup2

Clearly I am too vain as wearing the button makes me feel silly. Am I the only one? Now if my DS(3) wants to wear his Bday button every day while we are there...dang it he shall...it is his bday present afterall! I understand in a literal since it seems unjust to declaring your birthday the day after...but from a conceptual perspective does it really matter if you can keep your child's bday elation going a day or two long...yipee I say!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter