How long do you have to add cruise insurance?

princesswendy720

DIS Veteran
Do you have to add trip insurance before you pay off your cruise or can you add it later? We got 28 inches of snow yesterday and a lot of snow this past February and I'm starting to get nervous about a rough winter derailing our plans to fly down to Florida in a little over a month. We are flying in the day before, but if we get this much snow again, people get stuck without flights for days!

DCL trip insurance must be added before final payment (just learned this last week). But you should be able to get travel insurance through a third party (which is typically cheaper and more inclusive anyway).

If you've already paid in full, try finding a third party insurer! I've used a company called Travelex in the past, and they were good (and reasonable). Also check with the credit card company you used to pay for the cruise, and see what travel protection they provide.

Good advise above. Also check with your travel agent concerning what insurance they may recommend or sell. Another good place to compare coverages is insuremytrip.com.

I've used insuremytrip a few times now. IIRC, they allow you to buy ins up until the day before trip begins (fly date).

Thanks everyone! I'll check with our TA and see what kind of quotes I can get online. I'm most concerned about getting some kind of reimbursement if we miss the cruise because of flight cancellations.

I've tacked on a post-cruise stay in Disney (didn't buy insurance through Disney for that either)...should I include that in the total amount of the vacation even though they were booked separately?

Thanks everyone! I'll check with our TA and see what kind of quotes I can get online. I'm most concerned about getting some kind of reimbursement if we miss the cruise because of flight cancellations.

I've tacked on a post-cruise stay in Disney (didn't buy insurance through Disney for that either)...should I include that in the total amount of the vacation even though they were booked separately?

Yes!!! We always book separate air, cruise, hotel, transfers, etc. Be sure to insure everything that would not be refundable in case of last minute cancelation.
When I search on insuremytrip, I can enter the price as a total of entire trip or amount per person.

The nice thing about getting travel insurance through a 3rd party is that it will cover your airfare, car, hotel, etc. that is outside of the cruise cost itself.

We purchased ours less than 3 weeks before our trip began--for the very reason of worrying about weather delays. We used the Trip Insurance Store .com (no spaces), and you can even call them on the phone to discuss which plan is most compatible with your insurance needs. It helps us focus on plans that had lots of trip interruption/delay insurance vs medical.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter