• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How long do we spend at Anaheim?

martinrmn

DIS Veteran
Can anyone offer advice please? We normally holiday in Orlando but decided next year to fly drive California. We hope to fly from UK in August 2014, 2 adults one son aged 13. Land at San Francisco then drive around California stopping at LA. In Florida we have no problem staying for 2 weeks so just wondering how long would Anaheim take to see. We also plan on going to Universal.

Thanks all.:thumbsup2

The maximum # of days you can buy for a ticket or Park Hopper is 5...so I would do at least 5-7 days in Anaheim (depending if you want a day to spend at the hotel, etc) and plan to spend 5 days in the parks.
Universal is in LA/Hollywood, so I would plan that part when you are going to be in LA.

Re tickets, they most days via Disney is 5 but I have discovered today that in NZ I can buy a 10 day ticket via a travel agent, I know WDW sells 21 day tickets that are only avaible to UK residents so you may be able to get more days by purchasing your tickets in the UK.

As well as how long to stay, we fly in from NZ and would hit California most times for 10 days to 3 weeks. If it is your first time then there is lots and lots to see rides bikes along Venice Beach, check out Santa Monica Pier etc. If you drive the 3ish hours to San Diego that has the 2 zoos, seaworld and legoland as well as some nice beaches.
Both La and San Diego have some good outlet malls (that works out way better for us buying, clothes, shoes and toys than here in NZ) that we could spend a good couple of days at...

I'm sitting here almost crying because we here in (stupid) America can't ever get 3 weeks off from work. Jealous.

I'll take a slightly different tack. If most of your Orlando vacation was spent at WDW, then Anaheim is a different experience. Three to five days will give you ample time to cover the parks. You could allow a day for Knotts Berry Farm. But Anaheim is not the same kind of immersive experience as WDW.

If you plan on doing Universal, then again, it is very different from Orlando. One day is absolutely plenty. If you really enjoy parks, you can spend time in San Diego at Sea World (probably not Legoland as your son is a bit old) and of course the San Diego Zoo.
Hope that helps!:)

We spent 6 days on our first trip in 2011 (2 adults and 2 kids, 8 and 10).
We then returned this year (kids now 10 and 12) and spent 15 days in Anaheim. We went to Disneyland on all 10 days of our 10 day pass and loved it. We did a day at Universal Studios (doing the VIP tour) and would have loved to go back on another day. There's also the beaches, shopping, Knotts Berry farm etc. so much to do.

This trip we are doing 9 nights and have the 10 day pass it gives us flexibility with our schedule as this is the first time travelling with our DS who is almost 2

We also are going outlet shopping at citadel and heading down to the beaches we have a car for 2 days

Many thanks everyone. Looks like I have some serious planning and research to do before even booking. Thanks again, :thumbsup2

Just want to make sure you realize that if you're going to be spending time in both LA and Anaheim it's better to split your hotel stay between the two locations. Lots of people think LA and Anaheim are the same thing and don't realize how much time it takes driving back and forth.

Anaheim is a good base from which to see Disneyland, Knott's, South Coast Plaza, and Huntington Beach. LA is good base from which to see Universal Studios, Six Flags Magic Mtn, Santa Monica, Hollywood, and Beverly Hills.

To round out your trip, you could easily spend 2-3 days in the SF area, spend a day in Monterey/Carmel as you drive down, and spend a day or two on Catalina Island before you check out all of the other southern California destinations.

I met a friend in LA last summer and we spent 7 days driving up the coast back to SF. And that wasn't enough time at all (we did squeeze a LA day and one Disney day into that).

If I were coming to CA, I would spend maybe 4-5 days at DL, then the rest doing other things in CA. Maybe a few days in LA. Drive up the coast for a few days (stop in Santa Barbara, Pismo, see Hearst Castle, Monterey...). Spend 3-4 in SF, maybe even a bit further up if Wine country is your thing.

I could easily spend 2 weeks at WDW but DL is very different. A good experience as well, but nothing I would ever do for more than 5 days. So much more to see in CA than DL! :)

Kim

f I were coming to CA, I would spend maybe 4-5 days at DL, then the rest doing other things in CA. Maybe a few days in LA. Drive up the coast for a few days (stop in Santa Barbara, Pismo, see Hearst Castle, Monterey...). Spend 3-4 in SF, maybe even a bit further up if Wine country is your thing.

I could easily spend 2 weeks at WDW but DL is very different. A good experience as well, but nothing I would ever do for more than 5 days. So much more to see in CA than DL!
:thumbsup2

I'm sitting here almost crying because we here in (stupid) America can't ever get 3 weeks off from work. Jealous.

Yeah my BIL lives in NY and he finds it very frustrating, on the other hand it does come at the cost of living a stones thrown from Antarctica and a very long/expensive flight to get out of here =)

I live in (stupid) America too and get 4 weeks of vacation a year. I am thankful and proud to live in this "stupid" country. :-)

Pinup Mommy said:
I live in (stupid) America too and get 4 weeks of vacation a year. I am thankful and proud to live in this "stupid" country. :-)

Same here! Proud American over here! I am a stay at home mom so no vacation days here but DH gets 4 weeks and is very happy with that.

I think what she is inferring is that other countries have mandatory paid vacations. I'm sure she's grateful for what she has but a lot if jobs don't allow you to take 3-4 weeks at a time.

junmatno said:
I think what she is inferring is that other countries have mandatory paid vacations. I'm sure she's grateful for what she has but a lot if jobs don't allow you to take 3-4 weeks at a time.

I agree.
There are too many jobs that won't allow even that much within a years time.
There is no such thing as a perfect place to live.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter