• 6-9 months

• 9-12 months

• 12-15 months

• 15-18 months

• 18 months-2 years

• More than two years

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.
I'm glad to know you're not judgmental, but as far as bf'ing moms not being judgmental...maybe moms aren't, but nurses certainy can be!! With my second child, I immediately asked for a bottle because I knew I did not want to BF. They wanted me to SIGN something saying I'd been made aware of the beneftits of breastfeeding. It was so ridiculous. I told them to stick their "waiver" up theirs and nursed until I went home. I mean really??? Having a grown woman, already with a child, to sign something?!? With my other three children (at different hospitals), no one ever requested such a thing. :mad:

Maybe it's cause I live in California, but I had to sign a bunch of waivers! :laughing: So, to me, it doesn't seem that odd.

Like I said, there's more than enough judgment to go all around for everyone, it seems. I didn't want my daughter taken to the nursery, and I got judged plenty- I was told that I needed to get some rest while I could, told that she'd be fine, told that I really should let them take her. I just politely refused. I've been judged for nursing in public on one hand, and on the other, judged when she was given a bottle of my pumped milk by me (lady assumed it was formula, and that I didn't nurse- not that it would have mattered if it was formula!). I've been judged for cosleeping, judged for refusing to have her get the flu vaccine, judged for not letting her CIO, judged for extended nursing.

It seems like people's favorite thing to do is assume they know everything about parenting (even if they aren't even parents!) and if you don't do it their way, you are wrong, and they simply must inform you of that fact.

I'm glad to know you're not judgmental, but as far as bf'ing moms not being judgmental...maybe moms aren't, but nurses certainy can be!! With my second child, I immediately asked for a bottle because I knew I did not want to BF. They wanted me to SIGN something saying I'd been made aware of the beneftits of breastfeeding. It was so ridiculous. I told them to stick their "waiver" up theirs and nursed until I went home. I mean really??? Having a grown woman, already with a child, to sign something?!? With my other three children (at different hospitals), no one ever requested such a thing. :mad:

I don't think that was a judgement at all. It was likely hospital policy and not a choice the nurse would have made on her own. My nurse with my first wasn't thrilled about giving formula samples to nursing mothers, but the hospital had a deal with Similac and part of the deal was they gave samples to *every* mother. Hell, I had to watch the same "don't shake the baby" video with both my children, even though they were born within three years of each other at the same hospital. There's all kinds of red tape at every hospital, some of it is hospital policy, some of it is dictated by the insurance companies, some of it is mandated by the government, but if it's a form it's not a personal judgement.

My oldest I tried to nurse for weeks and we were both miserable. She had a really high pallet and wasn't ever able to latch so we stopped when she was about 4 weeks old. I pumped until she was 6 months old and then stopped.

My youngest is 8 months old and still nursing like a champ. I despise pumping but she is such a great nurser that I pump while I'm at work!

I nursed my dd till she was 2.5 years old. She weaned because my milk dried up due to pregnancy, 2nd trimester. My son nursed till he was three and self weaned. They are 9 and 6 years old now and some days I really miss nursing a wee one. They grow up too fast!

My DS1 was 11 months when he self-weaned (a lot of pro-bfers say that they don't self-wean before 12 months, but DS1 wouldn't go near it!)

DS2 was 14 months and I was back at work and wanting to get pregnant again.

DS3 is currently going strong but is only 6 months old. I plan to BF for as long as he wants - no more babies for me! Oh, and he has just said his first word.... "****" :lol:

Reading through all these messages makes me sad. The US Health system astounds me with all these waivers and pressure of one form or another. I had all three of my boys in hospital and was in a program that allowed and encouraged early discharge. I left hospital 30 hours after having DS1, six hours after DS2 and five hours after DS3. I was then visited at home for the next two - four weeks by my midwife who was fantastic; supportive, friendly and non-judgmental. I had the same midwife for all three births (and with the last two it was just her, me, my DH and my mum in the room during labour and birth, DS1 had complications) so she knew me, my history and my preferences. This is the kind of support I wish all women could have :)

Even after reading all these posts, I'm still of the opinion that whether you decided to BF or FF, it's whatever makes mommy and baby happy that is the BEST for them both. If mom is unhappy with BF, despite being what is "scientifically proven" is NOT BEST for the baby. Whatever is less stress is best for baby.

I also find it very strange to nurse a 1st grader...I was at the beach once and this 5 or 6 year old kid went up to him mom and just pulled her bathing suit top aside and started nursing, didn't ask or say anything at all...it was very awkward for me and everyone who was around them at the beach that day. I guess, if it was me, I'd be doing it in the privacy of my home at that point...but whatever. :rotfl:

My DS1 was 11 months when he self-weaned (a lot of pro-bfers say that they don't self-wean before 12 months, but DS1 wouldn't go near it!)

DS2 was 14 months and I was back at work and wanting to get pregnant again.

DS3 is currently going strong but is only 6 months old. I plan to BF for as long as he wants - no more babies for me! Oh, and he has just said his first word.... "****" :lol:

Reading through all these messages makes me sad. The US Health system astounds me with all these waivers and pressure of one form or another. I had all three of my boys in hospital and was in a program that allowed and encouraged early discharge. I left hospital 30 hours after having DS1, six hours after DS2 and five hours after DS3. I was then visited at home for the next two - four weeks by my midwife who was fantastic; supportive, friendly and non-judgmental. I had the same midwife for all three births (and with the last two it was just her, me, my DH and my mum in the room during labour and birth, DS1 had complications) so she knew me, my history and my preferences. This is the kind of support I wish all women could have :)

I'll take waivers over going home 5 hours after birthing kid #3 any day! With #3 I knew what I was going home into and did NOT want to get there any sooner than I had to!

[QUOTE.

I also find it very strange to nurse a 1st grader...I was at the beach once and this 5 or 6 year old kid went up to him mom and just pulled her bathing suit top aside and started nursing, didn't ask or say anything at all...it was very awkward for me and everyone who was around them at the beach that day. I guess, if it was me, I'd be doing it in the privacy of my home at that point...but whatever. :rotfl:[/QUOTE]

To each his own, certainly, but if you nurse an older child, do social norms come into play? Does the child talk about it? If it's "normal", does he/she feel it necessary to hide the fact that he/she still nurses? Because then it becomes something shameful and embarrassing, which isn't good. Just wondering...certainly not a criticism. Sometimes we moms get caught up in what we think is best for our kids, without thinking it through???:confused3

I think nursing is great and I did it for several months with my son but it's really horrifying to me that people continue it with school age children. My son is 10 months old not and I cannot imagine still doing it.

No flames please just an opinion. I think it's especially odd for school aged children what an odd and embarassing expereience for them

DS1-nursed exclusively for 1 year...weaned by 15 months.

DS2-nursed exclusively for 1 year...weaned by 15 months.

DS3-weaned himself at 9 months

DS4-nursed exclusively for 1 year...weaned completely at almost 3

DS5-nursed exclusively for 1 year...weaned completely at almost 3

DS6-nursed exclusively for 1 year...weaned completely at almost 3

All those years I nursed exclusively, between the pregnancy and exclusive nursing I went almost two years each time without a period. Yay!

DD - nursed exclusively for a year, weaned around 18 months.

DS - nursed exclusively for a year, weaned at 15 months.

Had a bit of a rough start with my DD, but once we got all that ironed out, it was smooth sailing.

What I loved: No prep. Always on tap. No extra stuff to drag around in the diaper bag. VERY inexpensive. Can be done anywhere (people would smile at me whenever I sat down to nurse). Easier to get up for those night feedings. A handy excuse to get my husband to do all the cooking and cleaning ("Oh honey, I'm nursing! Can you take care of it?") :lmao:

I understand some folks can't or won't nurse, for whatever reason. It's wonderful that there's healthy substitutes out there that you can feed your baby. But I've never understood people who are "disgusted" by breastfeeding. It makes me feel a little sad for them, the same way I'd feel about someone who was "disgusted" by their own perfectly normal nose or chin or ears.

I think nursing is great and I did it for several months with my son but it's really horrifying to me that people do it beyond the age of 1. My son is 10 months old not and I cannot imagine still doing it.

No flames please just an opinion. I think it's especially odd for school aged children what an odd and embarassing expereience for them

You're going to blatantly call the parenting exhibited by a good portion of posters here "horrifying" and expect people to not get upset and confront you about it? Good luck with that.

In case you were unaware, the World Health Organization recommends that children be breastfed for *at least* two years and prior to that (improved) recommendation, it was *at least* one year.

And what, exactly, do you find horrifying about nursing a 1 year old baby?

I think nursing is great and I did it for several months with my son but it's really horrifying to me that people do it beyond the age of 1. My son is 10 months old not and I cannot imagine still doing it.

Hmmm, normal for them.... Odd & Embarassing for you maybe.....

You're going to blatantly call the parenting exhibited by a good portion of posters here "horrifying" and expect people to not get upset and confront you about it? Good luck with that.

In case you were unaware, the World Health Organization recommends that children be breastfed for *at least* two years and prior to that (improved) recommendation, it was *at least* one year.

Yeah, what she said..... you basically flame all of us extended nursers & say "no flames, please." What gives? Maybe you want to revise your original statement....

Hmmm, normal for them.... Odd & Embarassing for you maybe.....

Yeah, what she said..... you basically flame all of us extended nursers & say "no flames, please." What gives? Maybe you want to revise your original statement....

No I don't really it's an opinion. You are entitled to your opinion as well and I respect that I just don't think it's good for school aged children.

Sorry I actually did mistype in my original quote I find bursing school age children horrifying. I personally would not nurse past 1 year of age but I don't see a problem with it until children are in a school setting. I will modify my original post

No I don't really it's an opinion. You are entitled to your opinion as well and I respect that I just don't think it's good for school aged children.

I personally find it interesting that all the breastfeeders on this thread have been supportive of the non-breastfeeders, or those who nursed for less time than they personally did.

Then you have those who drop by and basically call what a large group of these respectful ladies are doing "horrifying." That's so rude and disrespectful. :mad: You could have given your opinion (that you don't want to do extended nursing) without insulting others.

Most adults are capable of offering their opinions without carelessly and unconcernedly insulting others. There are tons of women on this thread who didn't nurse, or did for a shorter time, and they didn't feel the need to flame others. You are so worried about people flaming you, but you are the one who got offensive.

Not what I was referencing..... rather your use of the word "horrifying" (an inflammatory word) with regards to nursing older babies & toddlers.

I don't necessarily think it's "bad" for school age kids, but I think that is a null issue, as 98% (or more) of nursing moms will wean their kids well before they hit Kindergarten.

Well I apologize I am not trying to offend anyone the OP asked what people's opinions were on breastfeeding and I personally do not think it's good for the child past a certain age.

Both my DD and DS weaned themselves at 13-14 months. I would have gone longer, but it couldn't have worked out more perfectly for all of us.

Well I apologize I am not trying to offend anyone the OP asked what people's opinions were on breastfeeding and I personally do not think it's good for the child past a certain age.

I could see that for school age kids. I personally could care less as they aren't my kids, but I could see how people would find that weird as it just isn't the norm here and many things outside the norm are weird to the masses. Fine.

But, what I can't get is your comment that you couldn't imagine nursing your 10 month old. Really? I don't think anyone should nurse a certain amount of time or anything like that, and if you said it any other way I wouldn't have thought twice. Like "It was just too much work", "I went back to work and hated/couldn't/didn't want to pump", "We had a lot of trouble with latch/comfort issues", "I was tired of doing all the feedings but didn't want to pump", whatever. But to say it like it's creepy, weird, or gross to nurse a *baby*, I just don't get that at all. And I think that's the mentality that people are finding offense.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter