How long did you breastfeed your child(ren)?

How long did you breastfeed your child(ren)?

• I chose to not breastfeed.

• I was unable to breastfeed.

• I breastfed under two weeks

• I breastfed 2 weeks to 1 month.

• I breastfed for 2-3 months.

• I breastfed for 4-6 months.

• I breastfed for 7-12 months.

• I breastfed for 1 to 1.5 years.

• I breastfed for 1.5 to 2 years.

• I breastfed for 2 - 3 years.

• I breastfed for 3 - 4 years.

• I breastfed for over 4 years.

Results are only viewable after voting.
I loved nursing my son, and did it for 10 months. I would've done it for longer, but was not able to.

Never even tried with the first 3.. I am nursing #4 who is 4.5 months old.. I've always heard how hard it was and all that jazz.. Well (dont hate me) I've had no problems nursing.. If I had only known! Never hurt to latch him on, I never had sore nipples (can I say nipples?) its been a very easy thing for us. I'm glad I tried. Today I did have a plugged duct oh the pain.. good lord... :scared: :scared1: :scared: thankfully its gone..

I breastfed for about 4 months. I couldn't supply enough milk or DD was just way too hungry, I don't know but it always seemed I had to top off each feeding with a bottle.

I didn't answer the poll because I had 4 children and the length of time that I nursed varied from kid to kid.

I nursed from 6 months to 15 months depending on the child.

Oldest DD (she is 23) until she was 10 months, I remember the Dr. asking while I was pregnant how I planned to feed the baby and he and the nurse seemed really surprised when I said I planned to nurse. He was happy, but said since I was a young Mom (21) that he didn't think I would. I only remember 1 cousin that had nursed their baby, all other family and friends that I knew used formula, so I am not sure how I came to that decision, I just felt it was right for me.

Younger DD (she is 15) nursed until she was a week or so past her 1st birthday. She was a preemie and spent 3 weeks in the hospital, so I had to pump during that time and take it to the hospital for them to feed her in a bottle.

I never experienced any problems either time, not even during the first couple of weeks. Younger DD did have a bit of a problem due to her being a preemie with sticking with it, we would have to wake her up to make sure she kept eating, but otherwise I totally enjoyed being able to do that both times. For me, I loved never needing to mix a bottle, warm it or wash it and like a PP said I could always say "I can't load the dishwasher (or whatever), I'm nursing".

I bf my son until he was 7.5 months old until one night he decided we were done. The first 5 mo I would feed him for 40 min, pump for 20 and then rest for 1 to 2 hours before we started over again. THe last two months we would just feed and then supplement. When he was feeding he would scream and kick his feet, needless to say not an enjoyable experience for either of us. I was forced to supplement his meals from about 1 week until we swiched to formula all toghether. I tried to wean him off of the formula completely (on the advice of several different medical professionals) but he kept dropping weight so we had to continue with formula. I was only adding about 12 oz of formula a day, when he went to formula only we jumped to about 30 oz a day. He was and still is a very hungry little boy. I was actually happy to be done bf as I could finally enjoy feeding my son, and I was also able to get some rest. I feel upset about the whole experience still and wish it would have turned out differently. I intend to try again if I ever have another child.

I have 3 and breastfed all of them. The range was from DD#2 who self weaned at 20 months to DD#3 who weaned several weeks after her second birthday due to falling and biting her tongue. She then refused to nurse due to the pain. Poor baby. She still occasionally asks about it as it has only been since September. By the time she was comfortable sucking the milk was gone. She was my last so I was sad, but I think we were both ready and it was going to happen soon anyway.

I found the first few weeks to be difficult with all of them--getting the supply regulated, getting them to latch on etc. My first one was the worst--I remember dreading it for a while. But it gets better as the weeks pass and within a few weeks it is much easier. Once they get to around 4 months or so they will look up at you while they are nursing and try to smile--its the best feeling. I would definately do it again.

I didn't breastfeed any of my boys. I never wanted to and I wouldn't let anyone talk me into it. I have no regrets. My kids are healthy, even healthier than some of the children I know who were breastfed.

I didn't either- I thought I would give it a shot but it never worked out which was fine with me since I really didn't want to do it anyway. I had a friend who gave birth around the same time and felt the need to tell me how much healthier etc. it was for her baby because she was breast feeding.....well her kid has asthma, a peanut allergy, red dye allergy and numerous other allergies while my poor neglected formula fed baby does not. And even though I had to hear over and over how healthy her kid was going to be and mine was not I have yet to shove it back in her face (I don't plan on it either)

I nursed both my children well past a year, and after the first few weeks it was easy. Nursing doesn't have to be an all-or-none proposition. My children breastfed exclusively for the first months of their lives, and later once they were eating solids as well, they "dropped back" to just nursing in the morning and at night -- we kept that up for a very long time because it was very easy, and it kept the health benefits going for them.

Few things are so perfect: First, it was all but free. There were no bottles or formula to buy, prepare, transport, warm, or wash -- I would've done it for just that simplicity! But the health benefits were the real clincher; within weeks of stopping nursing completely, both my children began developing ear infections, which led to lots of doctor visits, antibiotics, and eventually tubes in their ears. I can't believe it was coincidental.

I didn't either- I thought I would give it a shot but it never worked out which was fine with me since I really didn't want to do it anyway. I had a friend who gave birth around the same time and felt the need to tell me how much healthier etc. it was for her baby because she was breast feeding.....well her kid has asthma, a peanut allergy, red dye allergy and numerous other allergies while my poor neglected formula fed baby does not. And even though I had to hear over and over how healthy her kid was going to be and mine was not I have yet to shove it back in her face (I don't plan on it either)
Surely you know, though, that two children do not prove anything -- large numbers of children studied over years and years by multiple researchers (and even the formula manufacturers, who tried their best to prove that formula was just as good as breastmilk) have proven that breastfeeding is BETTER at preventing allergies. They never said it was a magic bullet that can cure everything and give you an allergy-free warranty. Instead, what they've proven is that breastmilk is your best shot at helping your child avoid allergies.

The point: Your friend's child probably had the genetic make-up for those allergies. If she hadn't nursed him, they'd probably be worse. She'll never know for certain, but at least she knows she did what she could to minimize what could've been.

Keep in mind, too, that breastmilk also helps in areas other than allergies: The list is long, but diabetes, obesity, ADHD, and certain cancers are on the list. And there are health benefits for the mother too.

Surely you know, though, that two children do not prove anything -- large numbers of children studied over years and years by multiple researchers (and even the formula manufacturers, who tried their best to prove that formula was just as good as breastmilk) have proven that breastfeeding is BETTER at preventing allergies. They never said it was a magic bullet that can cure everything and give you an allergy-free warranty. Instead, what they've proven is that breastmilk is your best shot at helping your child avoid allergies.

The point: Your friend's child probably had the genetic make-up for those allergies. If she hadn't nursed him, they'd probably be worse. She'll never know for certain, but at least she knows she did what she could to minimize what could've been.

Keep in mind, too, that breastmilk also helps in areas other than allergies: The list is long, but diabetes, obesity, ADHD, and certain cancers are on the list. And there are health benefits for the mother too.

Then thank goodness my sister nursed her babies! These kids have crazy, crazy allergies - wheat, dairy, peanut, banana, etc. - and they're all different, and it's so hard to remember who can eat what. Thank goodness for epi pens! I couldn't nurse my babies, and we ended up with just some seasonal allergies, which I also have.

Then thank goodness my sister nursed her babies! These kids have crazy, crazy allergies - wheat, dairy, peanut, banana, etc. - and they're all different, and it's so hard to remember who can eat what. Thank goodness for epi pens! I couldn't nurse my babies, and we ended up with just some seasonal allergies, which I also have.
If you have seasonal allergies yourself, your children were probably destined to inherit them. Again, breastmilk isn't a magic bullet capable of overcoming genetics, removing disease and guaranteeing a healthy life -- using it is just giving the child the best odds possible, allowing them to make the very most of what they have coming to them genetically.

I've never heard of this as a reason to stop breastfeeding. Perhaps if you had issues with pre-term labor? Many people breastfeed throughout an entire pregnancy. I had every intention of tandem nursing my second and third children, but she decided she was done with "nur-nurs" a few months before he was born.

No pre-term labor, but I had just had triplets six months earlier and he said my uterus was not fully recovered yet (yeah, ya think?! ;) ). Maybe that had something to do with it?

One of my kids started at birth and weaned himself at 13 months. Another started at 1 month old and weaned herself at 13 months. (She had issues at the beginning, but eventually was able to start.) One started at birth and I weaned her very much against her will at almost 2 because I needed meds that I couldn't take while nursing. I think 2ish is probably long enough anyway.

People don't need the lecture.

Kristine

This is such a personal choice for people. And as a nurse working specifically in this area, I see many moms agonizing whether they should breast or bottle feed.

I do not feel anyone should be pressured one way or the other. Of course, the American Academy of Pediatrics recommends breastfeeding, especially for the first year of life. I think the American public has gotten that message by now. The majority of us know that breast is technically best.

But at what cost? If a mom is completely stressed out by the breastfeeding process, then how does that facilitate bonding? Should women who cannot produce enough breastmilk be chastised for circumstances beyond their control? Should women who are simply turned off by the idea of breastfeeding be made to feel inferior for their personal choices? I do not believe so, and firmly think that sometimes the bottle is, in fact, best.

Back to the original question. I have 4 kids. I nursed them for different time frames d/t different circumstances. My first I nursed for 6 months, the second for 4 months, the third for 6 months, and the last for 10.

I did find it to be a positive experience. To me, their was something empowering about the fact that my body was able to produce a substance that was capable of sustaining my tiny newborn's life.

I nursed both of my girls for about 1 1/2 years. I think I was just more ready than them, although my first was easier to wean. She went straight from nursing to a sippy cup. My youngest was a pain. I weaned her for completely selfish reasons. We had a trip to WDW and I didn't want to have to nurse in the parks. :headache:

This is such a personal choice for people. And as a nurse working specifically in this area, I see many moms agonizing whether they should breast or bottle feed.

I do not feel anyone should be pressured one way or the other. Of course, the American Academy of Pediatrics recommends breastfeeding, especially for the first year of life. I think the American public has gotten that message by now. The majority of us know that breast is technically best.

But at what cost? If a mom is completely stressed out by the breastfeeding process, then how does that facilitate bonding? Should women who cannot produce enough breastmilk be chastised for circumstances beyond their control? Should women who are simply turned off by the idea of breastfeeding be made to feel inferior for their personal choices? I do not believe so, and firmly think that sometimes the bottle is, in fact, best.

Back to the original question. I have 4 kids. I nursed them for different time frames d/t different circumstances. My first I nursed for 6 months, the second for 4 months, the third for 6 months, and the last for 10.

I did find it to be a positive experience. To me, their was something empowering about the fact that my body was able to produce a substance that was capable of sustaining my tiny newborn's life.

I totally agree with you. It is an agonizing choice for so many people. Yes, breast feeding is better...but not if it is a cause of stress and anxiety and resentment. Gosh, organic food and no sugar is better, too. But, that doesn't work for everyone.

For me, it was never a question. I was breastfed as a baby. My sister nursed her children. It just felt natural. If it didn't, I would have bottlefed my babies.

Never even tried with the first 3.. I am nursing #4 who is 4.5 months old.. I've always heard how hard it was and all that jazz.. Well (dont hate me) I've had no problems nursing.. If I had only known! Never hurt to latch him on, I never had sore nipples (can I say nipples?) its been a very easy thing for us. I'm glad I tried. Today I did have a plugged duct oh the pain.. good lord... :scared: :scared1: :scared: thankfully its gone..

I never had problems either. It was the most natural thing in the world, and I'm hoping I get that lucky with the new baby!

People don't need the lecture.

Kristine

I don't think she meant it that way:) . As I stated before, my son nursed for 18 mos, my daughter for 4 days. She's always been healthier than him-he unfortunately inherited all of my allergies. I sometimes wonder what his health would have been like if I hadn't breastfed!:scared1:

My family was totally against me nursing. From my mother to all 3 of my sisters, I was constantly told how disgusting it was, ds was too small, etc. That is probably one reason I nursed so long-just to p*ss them off! Ds11 loved it as much as me though, and would probably still be nursing if I hadn't cut him off at 18mos! He just got too good at unbuttoning my clothes in church, and the giggles around me told me it was time to end it.

The op seems to be trying to decide what to do. I say if you are on the fence, give it a try. It is free, convenient (no warming bottles) and healthy. But it is not for everyone.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter