How long did DME Take to get you to your Resort? TOWNCAR Faster?

jillyjill

Earning My Ears
I'm going crazy trying to decide whether to use the Magical Express or just pay for a Town Car to get us directly to Coronado Springs. I've heard good and bad about the ME, and when my travel agent said, rent the town car, I thought I needed to hear from my buddys at the DIS.

We're arriving on a Friday at 11:45am in late Sept and staying at CSR.

Hoping to do HS's for the afternoon and evening. HOW LONG DID IT TAKE M/E TO DELIVER YOU?

Thanks JJ
'77 WDW HS SR. Trip LBV:hippie:
'80 DL College CHoir Trip DH :rolleyes1
'84 DL Moved to Calif yeah DH :cool1:
'90 DL MOving back to PA DH :sad2:
'90 WDW Mom's first trip CBR:flower3:
'01 WDW With our kiddies CP/AKL :grouphug:
'03 WDW With friends and our kids got on the MNNSH parade Floatpirate:
'09 WDW Now w/ our teenagers :scared1: CSR

Last time we used it from check-in to SSR was @ one hour. We had used a town car before DME and I think it took about 45 minutes.

Don't forget by using a town car you have to wait for your luggage.

Plan on DME taking 60-90 minutes to get you to your resort after you get off of your plane IF you use the DME luggage delivery service to transport your checked bags. Using a town car will take you 60+ minutes from plane to resort if you have checked bags, because you'll need to go to baggage claim and wait for them to be unloaded.

So, in general, the time you save in driving/waiting using a town car is mostly eaten up by the time you spend waiting for your bags. If you have only carry-on bags, you will save time using a town car.

I've had everything from acceptable to good servicing using DME. Your call as to whether the difference in experience is worth $100 on a town car.

If the only reason you are trying to decide between ME and a towncar is the time, I would probably go with the ME and save the money, especially if you are checking luggage.

At best you are probably going to save about 30 minutes or so. In the grand scheme of things, not that much time.

Here is my breakdown of times using various modes of transportation from MCO to WDW (as best as I can remember anyway!!)
DME....average of 70 mins. Most times right around that, with one at 90 mins. That trip had extenuating circumstances though. I've used DME about 7 times now...at least.

Towncar...carryon bags only....about 45 mins

Towncar...checked bags....60 mins

Mears shuttle van....carryon only....80 mins

You can knock off about 15 to 20 minutes from the times listed above because since October, 2008, the car service picks up in a different manner than what the above posters specify or have probably experienced. Now the driver meets you at the carousels and when you get your luggage walks you downstairs 50 feet to his vehicle, which is parked under the terminal.

Prior to October the driver met you at the carousels and took you downstairs to the outside commercial lanes and either walked to the bullpen and got his car or walked to the ends of the commercial lane and picked up his vehicle. The time, when the driver went for his car, varied between 10 - 25 minutes before you got going to WDW. Now time now from carousel to car is less than 5 minutes, load the vehicle and head out to the resort.

The carousels also seem to be faster than in the past although during the early afternoon when a lot of planes are coming in Airtran seems to take a long time to get luggage out. So on a good luggage delivery day you can make it to WDW in about 45 - 60 minutes after departing the plane.

If you walk fast from the plane to the main terminal, meet the car service driver at the bottom of the escalator, use only carry-ons or have Disney transport your luggage you can get to Coronado in approximately 40 minutes.

What I don't like about ME is that they want you on a bus at least 3 hours before your return flight. I like the towncar for this reason. I have them pick me up at a location of my chosing about 1 1/2 hours before my flight. I drop my luggage with ME in the morning and get my boarding pass before I check out of my hotel.

The other thing I like about the towncar is making a quick stop at the store before getting to the resort. It is nice to stock up on water and snacks and such before getting "on property".

Took about 70 minutes very first time from walking off the plane to CSR, about the same for POP a few months later, Nov 08 to CSR we hit everything wrong timing wise, it just wasnt our day and it took almost 2 hours to get there. Nothing 'wrong' we just barely missed the bus before us, and there was about a 10 minute wait to get thru the check in line. Jan 09 just over an hour to get to SSR. Even knowing it could take us 2 hours to get to our hotel, I still will use DME, it's free and 1 hour isnt going to make or break my trip. Same with going back and having to get to the DME stop about 3 hours before departing flight time, really not going to save much more then 1 hour, and it's just not worth it to push the limit at MCO.

I have to agree that if you are considering the expense of a town car simply for "time" ... don't think it's worth it.

What my DH and I did in March and plan to do again in Sept is to use DME upon arrival (Pop) then will get a rental car at the CCC ($65 cheaper than at the airport + we don't have to mess with bags). We will then drop the car back off at the airport. We are not on a preferred airline, so will have to check our bags upon departure at the airport anyway.

Last September when we were there, the DME worked great; however, we got a bit frustrated with the WDW bus transportation. Hate to spend money we don't "have to" but feel the expense for a car rental will be worth it to us. In March we did a lot of non-Disney things, so did need the car. Cannot tell you how relaxing it was just to walk out to the car instead of joining the bus line at the front of the resort!!

What I don't like about ME is that they want you on a bus at least 3 hours before your return flight. I like the towncar for this reason. I have them pick me up at a location of my chosing about 1 1/2 hours before my flight. I drop my luggage with ME in the morning and get my boarding pass before I check out of my hotel.

The other thing I like about the towncar is making a quick stop at the store before getting to the resort. It is nice to stock up on water and snacks and such before getting "on property".

Wow, so you plan on getting to MCO roughly an hour before your flight? With most flights start boarding about 20 min before flight time, so you are giving yourself 40 minutes to get thru MCO and security and to the gate?? Braver then I am!!

So on a good luggage delivery day you can make it to WDW in about 45 - 60 minutes after departing the plane.

If you walk fast from the plane to the main terminal, meet the car service driver at the bottom of the escalator, use only carry-ons or have Disney transport your luggage you can get to Coronado in approximately 40 minutes.

DME takes 60-90 minutes. The reported average time is around 70 minutes. Sounds like you agree with the posters who said a car service will save around 30 minutes.

You might be able to save the same 30 minutes, for less money, by taking a taxi from your resort to a theme park.

Weather related airline delays can be more then 30 minutes. I wouldn't schedule anything important, that has a cancellation fee or can't be rescheduled, so close to my arrival time that 30 minutes matters. It can take more then 30 minutes to check in at your resort.

Wow, so you plan on getting to MCO roughly an hour before your flight? With most flights start boarding about 20 min before flight time, so you are giving yourself 40 minutes to get thru MCO and security and to the gate?? Braver then I am!!

I usually get to the airport about an hour before domestic flights. Isn't that the recommended time? :confused:

I usually get to the airport about an hour before domestic flights. Isn't that the recommended time? :confused:

The Greater Orlando Aviation Authority recommends arriving two hours before a domestic departure, or three hours before an international departure (or a domestic departure connecting to an international flight at another U.S. airport), but please check directly with your airline for specific recommendations.

From the Orlando International Airport FAQ (emphasis added).

I'm going crazy trying to decide whether to use the Magical Express or just pay for a Town Car to get us directly to Coronado Springs. I've heard good and bad about the ME, and when my travel agent said, rent the town car, I thought I needed to hear from my buddys at the DIS.

We're arriving on a Friday at 11:45am in late Sept and staying at CSR.

Hoping to do HS's for the afternoon and evening. HOW LONG DID IT TAKE M/E TO DELIVER YOU?

Thanks JJ
'77 WDW HS SR. Trip LBV:hippie:
'80 DL College CHoir Trip DH :rolleyes1
'84 DL Moved to Calif yeah DH :cool1:
'90 DL MOving back to PA DH :sad2:
'90 WDW Mom's first trip CBR:flower3:
'01 WDW With our kiddies CP/AKL :grouphug:
'03 WDW With friends and our kids got on the MNNSH parade Floatpirate:
'09 WDW Now w/ our teenagers :scared1: CSR

Just got back last night from CSR. We arrived on the 16th with a late afternoon flight. Flight arrival time was 4:44pm. Took us about 15 mins. to get thru the airport and to the ME counter. (stopped for a quick restroom break). The process was really fast. Check voucher here, confirm there then on to the bus. There was no wait. Transfer time to Coronado was only about 40-45mins. Our bus actually had a few hotel stops. First stop Pop, second was Carribean Beach then Coronado Springs. I believe the bus traveled on to Animal Kingdom Lodge and then to Kidani Village. I was pleased with the timing especially since we arrived during rush hour times. The ride went pretty fast to me we were at the resort and checked in by 6pm. The ride back to the airport went fast as well. ME picked us up at 3:15pm for our 6:18pm flight. We were at the airport by 4pm. Save some money and take ME.

KAREN :goodvibes

My 3 times using DME, I timed it from airplane exit to resort drop-off. My times were 63 minutes, 56 minutes and 57 minutes (May 2005, Nov. 2006, Feb. 2009). I can't imagine that, including getting luggage, a car service could have gotten me to my resorts substantially quicker than that.

I will, and have done that here locally in Columbus, Ohio, BUT I dont think I would try it at a 'busy' airport like MCO :)

Can't you use the luggage service even if you opt out of the ME bus? I thought I could check my muggage through to WDW resort at my home airport regardless of whether I got on the actual ME bus? S, I'd register for ME, tag my bags but then rent a car or use a towncar- wouldn't my luggage just go on ahead to my resort? Same for return- if I use resot check in, give my luggage & get my boarding pass, my luggage goes on ahead regardless fo whether I wind up onthe ME bus, correct?

The main issue I have had with ME for my preferred resorts has been the # of stops. AKV is the 4th or 5th stop on the ME bus and BCV is the 3rd or 4th. Too many stops especially heading to the airport- it seems thiose resorts give you a 3 1/2 -4hrs in advance pick up time.

Also, the last time I used ME, I also had an issue of being the first on a bus and having to wait 30 minutes once I boarded it for it to fill up andleave- unacceptable! That was only 1 time but it sure was a pain!

The Greater Orlando Aviation Authority recommends arriving two hours before a domestic departure, or three hours before an international departure (or a domestic departure connecting to an international flight at another U.S. airport), but please check directly with your airline for specific recommendationsFrom the Orlando International Airport FAQ (emphasis added).

I will, and have done that here locally in Columbus, Ohio, BUT I dont think I would try it at a 'busy' airport like MCO :)

And with good reason, it would seem!! Have not had a problem yet. BTW I am flying SW out of Columbus to MCO next month!

Can't you use the luggage service even if you opt out of the ME bus? I thought I could check my muggage through to WDW resort at my home airport regardless of whether I got on the actual ME bus? S, I'd register for ME, tag my bags but then rent a car or use a towncar- wouldn't my luggage just go on ahead to my resort? Same for return- if I use resot check in, give my luggage & get my boarding pass, my luggage goes on ahead regardless fo whether I wind up onthe ME bus, correct?

The main issue I have had with ME for my preferred resorts has been the # of stops. AKV is the 4th or 5th stop on the ME bus and BCV is the 3rd or 4th. Too many stops especially heading to the airport- it seems thiose resorts give you a 3 1/2 -4hrs in advance pick up time.

Also, the last time I used ME, I also had an issue of being the first on a bus and having to wait 30 minutes once I boarded it for it to fill up andleave- unacceptable! That was only 1 time but it sure was a pain!

Yes, that does work, but I think the official word is that you are not supposed to do it that way...:rolleyes1

My experience with a towncar was fantastic! (We used Tiffany Towncar and I highly recommend them:thumbsup2)

Our flight landed 20 minutes ahead of schedule. We hopped on the monorail and were at the baggage claim with our driver in under 10 minutes. Waited all of 5 minutes for bags and we were on our way.

From plane to towncar WITH checked bags was under 20 minutes, more like 15!

We left MCO at 3pm and with our 30 min grocery stop we arrived at CSR a little before 4pm.

Plane landed 2:40, arrival at CSR with grocery stop 4pm. So 1 hour and 20 minutes, but without the grocery stop it would have been approx 45 minutes from plane to resort.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter