• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How is September... REALLY?

It's AWESOME. Last year, the longest we waited for anything was 45 min for TSM in the standby line. (We did it two other times, once at rope drop, and FP'ed it another time with minimal wait.) We would totally be going in September again this year except we're moving this summer and I don't really want to spend $800 on plane tickets when we can drive now. The weather is perfect (well, as long as there's no hurricane! ;) ) the crowds are practically non existent, it's a great time to go. The one thing I didn't like, and it's totally my personal opinion, was all the Halloween decorations. Halloween just isn't my thing.

We went a couple of years ago from 2 Sept to 11 Sept and it was great! The free dining and the low crowds make everything totally worth it. I was soooo afraid of the heat and humidity - I just don't cope very well with it at all. I've had sunstroke in the past so this, out of everything else, really worried me. Yes it was hot and humid but . . . . everything is air conditioned. I had worried all for nothing. The rides (indoor ones anyway) are air conditioned, the restaurants are air conditioned, the transportation is air conditioned - I was fine. We would usually go to the park sometime in the morning (we were never in a hurry) and would stay until about 2:00pm or earlier if it was really hot, then head back to the hotel for down time and a swim. We would head again in the early evening for our ADR in whatever park or resort they were at and then spend the evening in the nearest park. Back to the hotel around (9:00 pm or so) - totally relaxed. I guess what I am saying is - if you pace yourself, you'll be fine but do take water with you. If you drink frequently, you'll cope. Hurricanes - I don't worry, we could get hit with an earthquake here tomorrow. If I planned my travel around potential weather or climate disasters, I wouldn't be able to leave my backyard.

Well, we're from AZ, so FL was actually cooler than where we came from!

We were there last Sept. 11-14 because of Hurricane Ike, which flooded out our plan to go to the FL Keys. We diverted ourselves to Orlando at the last minute and had a great time (thanks in large part to frantic DIS reading and the UOG on the plane). When we were debating whether to go or cancel the trip altogether, the DIS resoundingly affirmed that if you had to be "stuck" anywhere, be at WDW.

We had one good thunderstorm that trapped us in Toontown for awhile until we decided to do the get-soaked dash. One brief shower while we were inside the U.S. pavilion the next day.

The crowds were low and I think the only time I felt crowded was the line for TSMM by mid-afternoon (I had the passing evil thought of "how much could I get from a frustrated parent for these FPs":upsidedow ) and on Sunday at AK during the early afternoon. Everything else was a short wait -- so much so that I sometime rode a ride again to walk more slowly through the pre-ride entertainment.

GO!

PHXscuba

We went once in September for free dining. The crowds were great! (Meaning there weren't any!) However, it was beastly hot, so much so we didn't bounce back for free dining the next year in September. We decided we would rather pay for our food that be there when it was that hot again, and we went in October instead. Much nicer weather-wise and lower crowds. AND Food and Wine Festival is in October...October wins hands down for us!

I have to second everyone's statements here. Just to comment on someone's comment on "creepy" empty- we were there at closing on Sept 10 ( I remember because it was my husband's birthday) and we were leaving via Frontierland into Adventureland past Pirates of the Carribean and there was no one there but us. It had rained that night and it was a little foggy and wet and it was almost creepy- like they had shut us in for the night! My daughter and I got off Splash Mountain and we were the only ones riding on the whole ride (given this was during the fireworks)- but there was no one in any boats around us- also a little creepy- but fun!

At Animal Kingdom I trekked all the way from Dinoland to the Safari to get a fastpass and when we returned to use the fast pass there was like 20 people in line in front of us- there was needless to say no need to use the fastpasses!

I have to second everyone's statements here. Just to comment on someone's comment on "creepy" empty- we were there at closing on Sept 10 ( I remember because it was my husband's birthday) and we were leaving via Frontierland into Adventureland past Pirates of the Carribean and there was no one there but us. It had rained that night and it was a little foggy and wet and it was almost creepy- like they had shut us in for the night! My daughter and I got off Splash Mountain and we were the only ones riding on the whole ride (given this was during the fireworks)- but there was no one in any boats around us- also a little creepy- but fun!

At Animal Kingdom I trekked all the way from Dinoland to the Safari to get a fastpass and when we returned to use the fast pass there was like 20 people in line in front of us- there was needless to say no need to use the fastpasses!
I guess I will be the lone voice of desent. We went for free dining in September of 2007 and the crowds levels were much higher than we expected. September is a "slower" time to go, but I would not go expecting "empty" and dead parks. The fd promo lures in more and more folks each year. Also, you have to remember that there were 5 major named storms during free dining last year, three of which were actual hurricanes, and there were still plenty of people down there. Here is our trip report from when we returned in September 2007:

We went this past Sept. from 9/14 - 9/22. Now, don't get me wrong, we did have a great time. Afterall, it is Disney World and we are Disney fanatics, but I doubt we will ever go in September again. It was crowded and very hot (I don't mean a little hot. I mean sweltering. When you came out of an air-conditioned ride and walked out in the heat it would take your breath way hot). I live in Alabama, I know what hot is and it was hot, hot hot. Did I mention it was hot?

It rained at least a little bit every afternoon we were there. On one day, without any warning, no menacing clouds or noticeable wind change, the sky just opened up and poured. It poured so hard, it was like the sky opened up and dumped a bucket of water on your head. There wasn't even time to put our ponchos on. By the time we drug everyone's ponchos out and put them on the rain stopped. We then left for our Ohana ADR looking like someone had just thrown us in the hotel pool - literally socked to the bone.

We did have awesome food on our trip. We ate at Chef Mickey's, Liberty Tree, Planet Hollywood, 50's Primetime Cafe, Garden Grill, Cinderella's Royal Table, Ohana (best meal we had), and Crystal Palce. We had ADRs for all and always had to wait at least 20 minutes for our table. Saw them turning away walk-ups at all restaurants. Counter service was not too crowded, but we tried to eat early around 11:30 a.m.

I am a faithful fan of the UG and if it weren't for knowing about their touring plans and knowing how to utilize the Fastpasss system the lines would not have been as manageable. There was the occasion that you walked up to something in the late afternoon and there was only a 10 or 15 minute wait, but most of the headliners kept 30 minute or more waits. At MK on our last day Space Mountain had a 75 minute wait at 3:30 p.m! Now, to you Christmas week, Easter week, or July 4th people that probably doesn't sound too bad, but we specifically booked these dates for low crowds, and there were not low crowds - maybe mediumish.

When we left we had every intention of booking the Free Dining bounceback for next September that they were offering, but after the terrible heat and crowds my husband said he would happily pay the $1300 we saved on this trip and put it towards a slower, cooler time to visit.

We have previously been at the end of January into the first part of February and have also been end of November into first of December and those are the times we will be planning our future WDW vacations.

I don't want to rain on anybody's September Free Dining parade (excuse the pun), but I wanted to be honest about the heat and crowds so others will know what to expect and not be disappointed.

We went last year in September and could not believe how low the crowds were!!!:thumbsup2 But yes it was extremely HOT!!! We would definately go in September again.:cool1:

I love September! We went last September and though it was hot (much better than cold January) the crowds were so light. The least crowded time we have ever gone!

I enjoyed last September as well. Turns out that my mother wants to celebrate her 50th birthday at WDW this September now. I'm all ready to book the trip now, but I'd like to know when the Free Dining plan is offered. At this moment, I can't find anyplace where it is offered. That is the only thing that is keeping me from submitting my reservations.

I enjoyed last September as well. Turns out that my mother wants to celebrate her 50th birthday at WDW this September now. I'm all ready to book the trip now, but I'd like to know when the Free Dining plan is offered. At this moment, I can't find anyplace where it is offered. That is the only thing that is keeping me from submitting my reservations.
The fall free dining dates aren't typically released until the first week of April.

The crowds were great, but definitely NOT non-existant last Sept. 7-12. The waits for restaurants were not bad with ADRs (don't leave home without them though). And it was HOT, like surface of the sun hot, and this is coming from a South Louisiana gal. But free dining is hard to beat, especially for a family who loves to eat like us!:)

We went Sept 2008 19th-28th. I thought the crowds were light to moderate most days at most places. We had free dining and although getting adrs (we had to change a lot of them around since DD3 turned out to be terrified of characters) was tough, I didn't find the restaurants to be too crowded and wait times were only a few minutes to get seated for our adr. I really didn't think the heat was that bad. I just think that is such a personal issue. We are from IL but my parents lived in FL for 24 years so I am used to it. My DH and DS don't like it really really hot so I was very nervous they would be miserable. They were fine. A water fan bottle and plenty to drink and they were fine.

Last fall I thought it was BUSY. We waited over an hour for busses several times.

Personally, I think the restaurants are TERRIBLE during September, I know it's because of Free Dining lately, but it drives me crazy that you have to know where you want to eat months in advance. If you don't have ADRs you are basically screwed and last year I thought even the counter service places were packed.

A hurricane has only affected us during one September trip, and Disney was actually really good about making it up to us. However, last year it rained everyday of our trip and with kids and strollers it was a real pain, a couple days were complete washouts.

But, hey, we know going into it, that September is rainy/hurricane season and free dining, so we take our chances. ;)

I think it's funny how many people are saying how incredibly hot it is!!! It's all relative, so don't get too scared away! We both grew up in Texas and currently live in Alabama, and to me, the weather was very comfortable. In fact, there were 2-3 times I needed long sleeves!

We have been three times in Sept. All during Free Dining. I love Sept and would go every year at that time if I could. We are currently planning our next trip and unfortunatley we cannot book during Sept this year.

Low crowds--I have seen a steady increase in crowds over our last few trips, but the longest wait we had was typically 20 mins (you can't complain about that)

Free Dining--Saves us around $800 for a family

Weather--Hot!!!!! (we have been very lucky and it hasn't rained on us for any of our trips)

Characters--This past trip the lines for characters seemed longer than our other trips and we opted not to wait, but we did lots of character meals which leaves more time for rides and attractions.

We have gone usually during the middle and end of Sept which enabled us to attend the Halloween Party

14 years ago...without the free DDP we went...and every year thereafter for about 3 years.
And it was never crowded, we always walked on everything. However, the HUMIDITY was like UGGGGHHH! It was like walking into a sauna, you kinda cant breathe, so drink drink drink and do some water activities.
Rain was also an issue, but we just put those ponchos on and kept going!

I'd rather go in late august/sept with the heat and no crowds then june and july when you have both haha.

we were there from Saturday of Labor Day Weekend through that week. Labor Day weekend crowds were fairly large (60-90 min Stand by on the popular rides) but after about noon on Labor Day Monday the crowds fell off dramatically. EXCEPT for night time EMH...since the park hours all cut really short starting Labor Day Monday (early evening closing times for everything but one EMH park.) So the busses just poured people in to whatever park was staying open late because there was nowhere else to go, so all the resort guests headed for the same place.

Restaurants were busy due to free dining.

Weather was hot, a little sticky. We had mostly cloudy days but lucked out arriving after hurricane storms that drenched Floriday the week before. Every day they predicted the next hurricane was on it's way, but missed it all (one very short rainstorm - a couple of hours of drizzle one day.)

I went this past Sept 08. Yes it was very hot and very humid. The Crowds in the parks were not bad and the attractions had minimal waits. The restaurants, both Cs and TS were absolutely mobbed.

We have been there in September 2004, 2006 & 2007. The crowds in 2007 were definitely getting heavier than in the earlier years. But with a good schedule you will get to do most everything. As far as weather, I must say that there seems to always be a threat of a hurricane during that time of year. In 2004, we were there when the 4th hurricane of the season hit. I just extended our stay for 2 days. Also, bring a disposable poncho as it does seem to rain some days.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter