How is Blue Bayou "in" the POTC ride?

hart6066

DIS Veteran
Hi--this is our first visit to DL and I'm trying to get a sense of the atmosphere of this restaurant. We'll be there with our 2 kids and a set of grandparents. We're trying to decide between lunch here or at Orleans Cafe. BB is more pricey, but I'm wondering if the theme makes it worth it.

We're not huge pirates fans, but it still sounds interesting. Is it sort of like the Mexican restaurant at WDW that is inside the Mexican pavillion at Epcot? I'm trying to get a sense of what it means to be near the water or in the ride. Thanks!

Hi--this is our first visit to DL and I'm trying to get a sense of the atmosphere of this restaurant. We'll be there with our 2 kids and a set of grandparents. We're trying to decide between lunch here or at Orleans Cafe. BB is more pricey, but I'm wondering if the theme makes it worth it.

We're not huge pirates fans, but it still sounds interesting. Is it sort of like the Mexican restaurant at WDW that is inside the Mexican pavillion at Epcot? I'm trying to get a sense of what it means to be near the water or in the ride. Thanks!
Yes, it is sort of like the San Angel restaurant at Epcot. But a little more connected to the ride. From your table you can see the ride entrance and the loading and unloading area for POTC.

When I was a kid I always wanted to eat at BB. Did not make it until my 20's. Now we usually plan a lunch there. The atmosphere is really fun. But ride POTC first!

:wizard:

The restaurant was pricey as you can see which was fine as we knew that going in. The food wasn't bad at all. I actually found the food at Disneyland to be much better than at WDW. In both the parks and the hotels.

As far as atmosphere goes, unless you have a very front table where you can actually see the boats go by you do not really see much of anything of the ride unless you are very, very tall. Maybe not even then. We sat about midway in the restaurant and would not have known we were in the middle of the ride at all. It is very dark in there.

Looking back , I think I would rather eat outside in the beautiful Southern California sunshine :)

The BB is just down the river from the loading dock. BB looks like you are outside on a warm evening. You sit on a patio and the boats drift by. There is sort of a planter between the patio and the river that is a little bit of a buffer.

I love the atmosphere especially for lunch. To walk out of a hot day and suddenly enter a nice evening with crickets is so cool. If you have never been I think it is worth it just for the atmosphere. :goodvibes

I've never been to the Mexican Pavillion at WDW, but Blue Bayou is set to look like night-time outdoor dining outside a southern plantation house.

Here's a view from the water - it looks like garden party dining:

DSC_3379.jpg

And here's the view from the seating area, looking out into the "bayou" and passing boats:

bluebayou1.jpg

And a LINK that gives more pics and detail about the restaurant. :)

The restaurant itself is pricey, but worth it (*at least once*) for the ambiance.

Thank you--I think we will try to go, but I looked at the menu on Disney's website and it seems VERY limited. Do they not have any starters/appetizers? Anyone know what the kids' menu is (the one posted on DIS only has one choice!)? My DMIL is also VERY picky and a vegetarian--anyone have any experience with this?

Our feeling of Disney restaurants is that you go for the theme--that's why we always eat at Epcot at WDW. I'm getting the sense that this is the best themed one at DL?

Thank you!!!

Someone above mentioned sitting by the water. I would definitely request waterside seating when you make your seating time, and then ask for it again when you check in at the restaurant. I don't think they can guarantee it, but it would be fun to sit along the water.....

Thank you--I think we will try to go, but I looked at the menu on Disney's website and it seems VERY limited. Do they not have any starters/appetizers? Anyone know what the kids' menu is (the one posted on DIS only has one choice!)? My DMIL is also VERY picky and a vegetarian--anyone have any experience with this?

Our feeling of Disney restaurants is that you go for the theme--that's why we always eat at Epcot at WDW. I'm getting the sense that this is the best themed one at DL?

Thank you!!!

They have menus at allears.net that are pretty up to date. I'd post a link but my post count isn't high enough to do that yet. There looks to be 4 choices on the menu, though: roast beef, chicken, salmon, and mac & cheese. Doesn't look like there are appitizers on the adult menu.

Personally, I think that the BB is better for small and / or romantic groups. Of course, our last group meal there included a party of 8, which I would definitely recommend against. --too dark for a party of that size to enjoy each other. 6 might feel much smaller and more do able. :confused3

We travel with a picky vegetarian, and she seems to think that the Rainforest is the best at catering to her needs. JAT

Thank you!!!

As someone else mentioned above, there are no appetizers. Your entree, however, comes with a bread basket and your choice of gumbo or a salad before the main plate arrives. Check out the menu link bnbheartdisney posted.

I just commented in another thread that the veggie dining is not quite up to par as of yet, as most places only have one or two veggie entrees. I haven't had the one at BB (I'm not a veg) but I have had the ratatouille (vegetarian) at Cafe Orleans and really liked that.

I would make one suggestion, and that would be to bring a small flashlight to read the menu, because it can be very dark in there. And beware of riders taking flash photos of the restaurant. :sad2:

And do ask about being at the waterside. Arrive a bit early, put in your request, and then stroll the shops. We've never had to wait very long past our reservation time for a waterside table.

I believe that BB is a good choice for a late lunch on a hot summer day. I've actually recommended this several times to people who are going on a 3 or 4 day park hopper as a day 2 thing. It really helps get you out of the sun, relaxed and fills your tummy. You come out refreshed and ready to tackle the rest of the day in the parks. Portion sizes for lunch are a little smaller and so are the prices. We try to limit ourselves to one meal in the parks if we're going for an all day/night outing and this place is on our short list.

Others have already posted descriptions and pictures so I'll add this ... Disney has done a very good job of giving you the impression you are on the back patio of a large plantation enjoying a meal in the moonlight while boats float by on the nearby river. The sights and sounds support this and the table service is usually better than average.

We've been to the San Angel at Epcot several times, and have been to the Blue Bayou once. Yes, it is a very similar feel. Same concept, just different theming (New Orleans bayou- v. Mexico). It is like the San Angel, in that if you are close to the water, you can see the boats of people floating by on the "river", but if you are seated back you still have the outside feel, but you can't really see the boats due to the other tables and people. We enjoy both restaurants.

Blue Bayou can be a very romantic setting for a dinner. We did our 25th Anniversary dinner here & sat waterside. I will say, the mood can be "interupted" by an occassional loud group on the ride. We had people yelling at us to throw food......lol :rotfl: After about the 3rd boat doing that, I finally yelled back for them to throw money!! :rotfl2:

We enjoyed the food, the atmosphere, the service!!

The downsides is the price & it's actually a little too dark. We've avoided taking our kids in there for this reason.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter