How I'm saving with popcorn

We store our popcorn kernels in the freezer, no stale taste.

We have used an air popper forever.

You don't need an air popper or paper bag to pop popcorn... just like a previous poster said, just get a big pot (like for soups, etc) with a lid. Pour a little oil on the bottom, just enough to coat. Drop a couple of kernels in. Once they pop, add about a cup of more kernels. Let them start popping, then shake the pot back and forth gently to move the kernels around. 3-5 mins later, you've got a huge pot of popcorn. Makes A LOT.

We asked a local movie theater if we could buy some of their 'pop corn salt'... and the manager just poured us a LOT to keep. That popcorn salt is really what makes it for me. Makes it taste like real movie theater popcorn!

I'm not that old! We always made popcorn in a pot, just a saucepan works too. You don't get the chemicals that are in the microwave kind. The pan method is easier for me than getting out the hot air popper.

We have a hot air popper and love it. (Technically it belongs to middle DS - he asked santa for it- it's really cool looks like an old fashioned popcorn cart.) We made the switch when DH read a study about teflon which included how the teflon in the microwave popcorn bags emits toxic levels of chemicals into the popcorn. :scared1:

We also make popcorn in a pan with butter. Aside from the trick PP mention another use a really thick pan (we use a dutch oven or really large cast iron skillet) and if you want to cook in butter instead of oil add a small amount of veg oil to the butter so it doesn't burn.

I have a hot air popper I got at Kohls but the popcorn tastes stale :(. I tried troubleshooting but just gave up

It may be the popcorn kernels you are using. Some of the off brands can languish on the shelves for months. I was at Shaws and was debating the Orvilles vs the much much cheaper off brand until I noticed the layer of dust that had accumulated on all the packages behind the front one. :rolleyes:

I am addicted to the chemical oil in microwave popcorn. :rotfl: I sold my hot air popcorn popper in a garage sale for 2.00. Just didn't taste the same and I don't like to add butter after the fact because the popcorn tastes soggy to me.

I may try going back to the stove top method with oil. That worked when I was a kid.

Anyone else having a jiffypop flash back?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-An6eaGItk

I always keep my popcorn in the freezer.

I just fold the bag over. I found a butter flavored spray that I spray on it when it's done.

I make ours either in our hot air popper (it's like 20 years old!) or on the stove. I prefer the stove method but the air popper is easier. I've used the bin popcorn but have to say Orville's is really the best. Bigger and fluffier.

If I airpop it I add melted butter. If on the stove, no butter required. The oil lets the salt stick.. I also have a recipe for sugared popcorn that is similar to kettle corn that I make. My DD10 doesn't really like regular buttered popcorn (I know :confused3) so after I butter it a separate hers out and sprinkle it with sugar and cinnamon. She loves it.

I will try the paper bag method. That would be an easy way to pop some as a snack for our softball games.

Thanks, OP!;)

My MIL does this - she sprays the inside of the bag with cooking spray. I haven't tried it yet, but want to. Our co-op sells popcorn in the bulk bins & it's pretty cheap. My mom used to pop popcorn on the stove in a saucepan, but I feel like I'd go through a lot of trial & error with this method before I figured out how not to burn it.

I do it on stove, I go by the directions on Orvil popcorn bag. After I did it a few times, I started using less oil than recommended , works great. Just have to stand and watch. Use a heavy bottom pot.

Ok, maybe I'm not as excited about the paper bag in the microwave as I was a page ago! :rotfl:

It's just such a pain in the patootie to drag out the air popper. Then I end up making two batches because more than half of them don't pop or pop out of the bowl. The dog gets super excited when she sees the popper because it goes all over the place. I think she thinks I'm doing it soley for her enjoyment!

I am addicted to the chemical oil in microwave popcorn. :rotfl: I sold my hot air popcorn popper in a garage sale for 2.00. Just didn't taste the same and I don't like to add butter after the fact because the popcorn tastes soggy to me.

I may try going back to the stove top method with oil. That worked when I was a kid.

Anyone else having a jiffypop flash back?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-An6eaGItk

I always keep my popcorn in the freezer.

:laughing: popcorn:: :laughing:

What a flashback! Those were a "splurge" for our family growing up. Mom always did it on the stove w/ oil. Then we graduated to an air popper that had the bowl as the lid, so you just flipped it over when done. Boy, we thought we were the cat's meow with that thing at sleep overs :rotfl: When it was a new thing, all the kids ooohed and aaahhhed.

I will have to try out that paper bag thing. We do use an air popper, but it seems to work best for full bowl. I bet the bag would be great for single servings. Thanks :thumbsup2

We have a hot air popper and love it! I can't get past all the chemicals they put in the bags to make it taste like butter!:lmao:

We have one too and use it all the time! I pop the popcorn into a large glass container (that I think was made as a cookie jar) and we all eat it like chips (since I don't buy them on a regular basis).

Much healthier ... and cheaper than microwave popcorn (and chips)!

It may be the popcorn kernels you are using. Some of the off brands can languish on the shelves for months. I was at Shaws and was debating the Orvilles vs the much much cheaper off brand until I noticed the layer of dust that had accumulated on all the packages behind the front one. :rolleyes:

I have only used Orville. I have 3 diff containers and they all taste stale in my air popper. And it is the Orville popper. ugh! I tried it in the micro and they were better tho some burned with the paper bag method

Do you just fold the top of the bag over and it stays closed?

I used to have an air popper popcorn maker. Anyone remember those? :)

I still have one and I use it all the time as I am dieting. No oil is lower in calories and it is cheaper, although my husband enjoys the 99 Cent Store popcorn is pretty good.

I have only used Orville. I have 3 diff containers and they all taste stale in my air popper. And it is the Orville popper. ugh! I tried it in the micro and they were better tho some burned with the paper bag method

Have you tried letting the machine run a minute or two, without popcorn, to blow the "staleness" out of the chamber...then add the popcorn.

The manual that came w/ mine suggested that.

I bought the stir crazy popcorn maker from QVC and love it. 2 tblsp. of oil and 2/3 cup of popcorn and in five minutes I have great tasting popcorn. After having the real stuff again, I can't go back to microwave.

I love my air popper. We use real butter, Parmesan and Tabasco on it. Yum!

When you say your popcorn is stale, do you mean sort of tough? It sounds like your machine is slow to heat and you are overcooking it. Do what the PP said and let it heat up first. Orville is the best in an air popper :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter