How I hate Disney ~ Let me count the ways....

AdWayInc

There's A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow!
Just returned today from WDW and you know I WAS the biggest Mickey Mouse / Walt Disney World fan EVER! until this past week. :confused3 I go to WDW every year with my DH for my birthday and this year was no exception. We booked BLT in October for this week ~ I was so excited we were going to do DDPx2. HOWEVER, had I known then what we would go through I definitely would have changed #1 The Week we were going, #2 The resort, #3 The dining plan.
Have I caught your interest? This last week has been the week / vacation from hell.... I am almost ready to sell my timeshare.
I know I probably will not find anyone to agree but I am TIRED of Disney trying to sell me their DREAM. I finally have opened my eyes, smelt the coffee, and all the other cutesy phrases you can think of.
Let’s start first that we stayed at BLT, yes the monorail was down from 11-6 every day AND it was an inconvenience. Had I known ~ I would had stayed at the Boardwalk or any other resort if possible. Not only was the monorail down but the CMs did not know what was going on....Example - leaving EPCOT the CM said we could catch a bus to go to the Cont / GF / Poly - yeah right... no bus.
O and by the way, taking the monorail in the morning to MK - yeah we could have walked, should have walked because it took us over an 1 HOUR to get to MK from Cont. :eek: Yeah it broke down.
ALSO the crowds were horrendous, :eek: tons of rude, obnoxious, arrogant, unsupervised kids running throughout the world but even their parents who should have known better were just as bad. O and don't get me started on the strollers - especially the double wides.... AND yes when my kids were young we brought them to WDW = my youngest was 4 when she went the first time to WDW and she walked. When she got tired, we went back to the hotel and she had a nap. I saw 5, 6, 7, 8 year old in strollers? Come on now... how ridiculous is that? People are saying kids being obese need to exercise.. how about walking a little bit? or if a child is tired – try carrying him? When did parents get so lazy? My ankles are still hurting... parents with strollers do not own the road!
I know I will get a lot of flack about this, and it may not even make the post. But I AM ANGRY. I have done WDW in July, Thanksgiving weekend - even Spring break but this year it was SO VERY BAD! I have never - ever seen it so bad.

o and let’s talk about the dining plan. We did the deluxe dining plan and yes it is a good value for the money because the restaurants are charging exorbitant amount of $$$ for mediocre food. I was so disappointed. As you can tell from my other posts especially in the restaurants forum I had my favorites. I should have know from the very first dinner I had upon my arrival – we ate at Citrico’s… the food was so bland I had to ask for salt and pepper – as my DH would tell you I never salt and pepper my food. The service was ok but nothing great. The Signatures were only so so this year – nothing great …. I plan on doing counter service next time – if there is a next time.

What happened this time? Was it free dining? Spring Break? Biker’s week? Cheerleading Competition? All of the above? Most likely ~ It was so crowded they had to expand the closing hours for MK on Sunday till 3am. Monday to 1am.

And by the way… My room at BLT? was dirty and was not dusted. Complained yes, did they do anything? No. ALSO Did anybody notice the grounds? Lawns not being mowed, garbage not being picked up, trees and shrubs not pruned, just an overall look of not being maintained. Is it me? Or are we paying more money for services not being rendered? IMHO I think the powers that be are putting more emphasis on the bottom line than in the actuality of realizing Walt’s Dream! An affordable place for a family to come, relax, and have fun.

That does sound like a rough week. I will say though in regards to the strollers. We are in a different world now. My two are in the strollers for the safety. Bad things happen everywhere. I don't put my guard down anywhere.

You definitely have some legitimate complaints -many that have been echoed time and again. Sorry to hear it went so badly.

We went to WDW for the first time last May and stayed at BLT. I will say that our room was dirty - filthy dirty - and really run down (broken cabinets, worn out furniture, etc). I was shocked at how bad it was in light of how insanely expensive it was (1.5 times my monthly mortgage payment for ONE NIGHT).

As far as the strollers go, I say...meh. My then 5 year old road in the double stroller with her 1 year old brother almost the entire trip. She is super skinny and super active at home, but that amount of walking with all of the crowds and the stopping and starting really wore on her nerves and, in turn, our nerves. I don't see why so many people care about how other people choose to transport their kids. :confused3

got to tell you- we went last August for 5 days, stayed at the Contemporary and the resorts monorail was horrible...never took less than 20 minutes from the CR to the MK...the last day it took 30 minutes and we had to rush through breakfast at the CP to make our Disney tour....yes we could've walked it but i have an 8YO daughter who wanted to take the monorail- and so did i...

sent Disney a nice long note about my discontent...

On the subject of strollers, let me suggest something to the parents out there:

If you decide to rent a stroller outside of the parks (which is silly IMO) PLEASE FIGURE OUT HOW TO FOLD IT BEFORE YOU GET ON THE BUS!!!!! Seriously. I continue to see parents spending almost five minutes trying to figure out how to fold their rented stroller.

Also, a stroller is for carrying your children, not a bunch of junk. I understand the things that children need to survive a day, and parents, sometimes I think you're overdoing it a little. And if you do REALLY need to carry all of that stuff, figure out how you're going to hold it all and fold your stroller... BEFORE YOU GET ON THE BUS.

-off my soapbox-

On the subject of strollers, let me suggest something to the parents out there:

If you decide to rent a stroller outside of the parks (which is silly IMO)-

It's not silly to rent a stroller outside of the parks if you have an infant in tow. The Disney strollers don't recline (for sleeping babies) and don't support an infant who can't fully sit up on their own. They're really only good for the 18 months and older crowd, and even then I think an 18 month old - 2 year old would have a hard time napping in them.

With infants I see lots of people using snugglys (baby carriers). That's what my parents did with my brother and I, and that's why I say having the outside strollers is silly. The benefits of the Disney rentals far outweigh a kingdom stroller or whatever. Again, just my opinion.

Listen to yourself: the gourmet dining wasn’t gourmet enough; the luxury resort wasn’t luxurious enough; the people serving you weren’t subservient enough. Sure, complain if you want to, but negativity is self-fulfilling and frankly, these are “uptown problems.” Some perspective: for many the Disney equation is about trying to figure out how to afford to take the kids to a place they dream of, squeezing every penny to be able to afford a stay at a value resort and some meals out, and most families can’t afford to go at all. So ya, as far as I’m concerned, it’s all about the kids, kids have the “right-of-way” (strollers or no), and if you’re lucky and know where to look, perhaps you too can see some magic through their eyes. Remember, there’ll be garbage no matter where you go, the trick is seeing the roses among the garbage.

[/QOUTE] O and don't get me started on the strollers - especially the double wides.... AND yes when my kids were young we brought them to WDW = my youngest was 4 when she went the first time to WDW and she walked. When she got tired, we went back to the hotel and she had a nap. I saw 5, 6, 7, 8 year old in strollers? Come on now... how ridiculous is that? People are saying kids being obese need to exercise.. how about walking a little bit? or if a child is tired – try carrying him? When did parents get so lazy? My ankles are still hurting... parents with strollers do not own the road[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

Your stoller comments are right and wrong at the same time. Double wide strollers are close to the worst thing allowed in disney, they are just to wide to get through anything. however we bring our own peg perego that weighs 10 lbs and folds up small and has minimal width. We went for our honeymoon with no kid and then we went again last year with our 20 month old. Both times there was very rude stroller people. I actually was joking around with a cm to where they sell the battering rams for the front of the stroller. My daughter just could not walk long enough, she will be three and we prolly wont bring it all the time, but for long days its nice to have.
DOUBLE WIDES SHOULD NOT BE ALLOWED ON THE BUSSES i dislike when they take up 2 seats at park close and bang everyone on the way down the aisle.
Also watch how you call parents lazy did you ever stop to think that maybe we cant carry a kid in a hot park for hours, could have a back issue and would love to be able to, i am not looking for a pity party i work every day and i am a nurse but i herniated a disc helping a patient years ago and to my dismay i cant do it all anymore (i used to set huge banquet halls, i was a state champion swimmer) so i am def not weak. BTW i get no disability stuff i just work with in my limits now so i get no fotl stuff or anything like that.
Also we wouldnt let our daughter walk in a crowded park because there are some snobs at disney that cant be bothered to look down for a toddler... two times she got trucked by some one on a phone or in a map.
I am sorry your trip stunk but, there is no need to lash out at all parents who use strollers

With infants I see lots of people using snugglys (baby carriers). That's what my parents did with my brother and I, and that's why I say having the outside strollers is silly. The benefits of the Disney rentals far outweigh a kingdom stroller or whatever. Again, just my opinion.

I'm an avid baby wearer (though I don't use snugglies :sad2:) and I did wear my son at WDW in a ring sling and a babyhawk in the evenings when it was cooler. But there is no way on earth either parent nor baby would be able to enjoy their day while strapped to each other in 100 degree heat with 90% humidity. That would be miserable for everyone involved and possibly dangerous for baby if the temps got high enough and the baby was young enough.

But that's really neither here nor there as far as this thread is concerned.

Listen to yourself: the gourmet dining wasn’t gourmet enough; the luxury resort wasn’t luxurious enough; the people serving you weren’t subservient enough. Sure, complain if you want to, but negativity is self-fulfilling and frankly, these are “uptown problems.” Some perspective: for many the Disney equation is about trying to figure out how to afford to take the kids to a place they dream of, squeezing every penny to be able to afford a stay at a value resort and some meals out, and most families can’t afford to go at all. So ya, as far as I’m concerned, it’s all about the kids, kids have the “right-of-way” (strollers or no), and if you’re lucky and know where to look, perhaps you too can see some magic through their eyes. Remember, there’ll be garbage no matter where you go, the trick is seeing the roses among the garbage.

Love your response! Seeing the roses among the garbage. (My the way I loved your trip report, you sounded like you and your daughter had a great time.)

I noticed every one picked up on the stroller part but totally ignored everything else.... Everyone had valid points but I still say parents are ulitmately lazy. I can understand a 3 or 4 year old but a 6, 7, 8 year old? Come on now... It seems parents use them as a carry all....

O and did I mention about the time the parent got on an older bus (2 seats each side and an aisle walk way) with her child about 5 and put him on the inner seat and sat with her huge stoller in the walkway. Parents and children could barely walk around or over it! :sad2: I don't understand it. What happened to the little umbrella strollers?

O and the time we were waiting to go to DTD.... there was an older couple in their scooters waiting to get on the bus. A little girl asked - why do old people have to go to DTD or use scooters- they shouldn't be allowed! :sad2: I turned around looked at her and her parents and said For that matter why should we allow strollers on the bus or people who use them?

Parents do not teach their children respect.

O and while in the cafe getting our free refills with our mugs... there were several kids refilling soda bottles. I told a cm - they shrugged their shoulders.

I love WDW but this trip had really opened my eyes....

I noticed every one picked up on the stroller part but totally ignored everything else.... Everyone had valid points but I still say parents are ulitmately lazy. I can understand a 3 or 4 year old but a 6, 7, 8 year old? Come on now... It seems parents use them as a carry all....

O and did I mention about the time the parent got on an older bus (2 seats each side and an aisle walk way) with her child about 5 and put him on the inner seat and sat with her huge stoller in the walkway. Parents and children could barely walk around or over it! :sad2: I don't understand it. What happened to the little umbrella strollers?

O and the time we were waiting to go to DTD.... there was an older couple in their scooters waiting to get on the bus. A little girl asked - why do old people have to go to DTD or use scooters- they shouldn't be allowed! :sad2: I turned around looked at her and her parents and said For that matter why should we allow strollers on the bus or people who use them?

Parents do not teach their children respect.

O and while in the cafe getting our free refills with our mugs... there were several kids refilling soda bottles. I told a cm - they shrugged their shoulders.

I love WDW but this trip had really opened my eyes....

yeah i think some parents def use them as a carry all, we put are stuff in there but its not like it makes it any bigger, also like a said double wides are uncalled for. my parents used to make us ride in a single together they would just recline the back because they didnt want to use up more room. Also we mainly put her in there to get out of the sun she has very light skin and burns so easy, she hates going in there at all at disney lol she wants to run and play we try to stay in the shade with her though.

I agree most parents are pretty lazy now adays (the tv does more parenting sometimes), to be honest we prolly wont bring the stroller everyday, mostly for night things, my little one is unpredictable with the going to bed thing.on the bus i used to put the stoller on my own lap and my daughter on my wives, are stroller also folds up so small and light that we throw it inbetween seat sections just fine.

it stinks everything was dirty for you. we went last oct and were not as impressed as before, my mom sliced her leg open and they told her to walk a half a mile to get a bandaid at typhoon lagoon, draggin blood most the way there. there servers were blah. the food was ok, even le celier took a dive since we went in 2007
rudeness is everywhere i used to call people out, but i dont like fueling there fire. we had a raging parent trying to get somewhere truck my daughter with her gigantic jogging stroller. then when the night was over guess who tried to sit next to us.... her and her family. they couldnt collapse the beast at first and then tried to ask others to get up so that they could let each of ther small children sit and then put there stroller in front of two seats. children are not naturally rude they get it from there parents who have no manors (mainly entitlement people who feel the world owes them). proper manors are a things of the past, and really need to come back. people are astonished when my daughter says please and thankyou.

oh btw it was free dining just fyi when you went, that prolly didnt help the crowds. The crowds in the fall like sept are next to nothing when we were there (even though it was free dining). We did every ride in hollywood studios and most the shows by 2pm. it rained a little everyday but it was not unwelcome kinda refreshing actually. at night there was a rather pleasant warm breeze.
Disney really needs to work on some things, i think that if a wheel chair needs to fit in a blue box on the side walk so should a folded stroller. jogging strollers should be an absolute NO. Also its time to bring back the charm and luster of years ago. there was a time when you could hide a penny in disney and they would have cleaned it by the next day. now adays you could prolly put a dirty diaper in a omnimover and it will be there next trip. there are so many rides that do not work up to there full potential anymore. if they worked at one point they should still work now.
well theres my rant of the day i hope your next trip ends up more magical

Hopefully the venting helps...we have all had the need to in life...And I am not minimizing your experience, sometimes the rain cloud will follow all of us. With that said, should many of your issues not happened, absolutely but as wonderful as Disney World can be and I think it usually is, stuff happens, organizations fail, employees sometimes don't meet our expectations.

With as many guests staying on property I'm amazed there are not more issues. I attempt, not always successfully, looking that a not so good day at Disney is still better than not at Disney...understandably you will disagree.

As far as the strollers, unfortunately more and more people are just rude or inconsiderate in life, no matter at Disney or elsewhere. Sometimes it is just busy with their own issues, but others times its just plain rude. (It's my life or my vacation, if you don't like it tough.) Its the "REALITY TV" way of life.

So I wish you had a greater experience, but don't go to the Dark side and give up...because when its good its really good

It's interesting, when I was a CM working at the main gate at MK I used to grumble like crazy about the strollers--having to open the gate for them, and half of the time the people would try to shove them through the turnstyles before I could even get the gate open and they'd get stuck and hold everyone up :sad2:

But now that I'm a regular WDW traveler with a young child, I love my stroller. Flame away if you must, but I spend my whole day-to-day life constantly staying on top of my child's behavior, making sure she isn't in anyone's way, and apologizing for her. As long as families aren't doing anything offensive or unsafe, why not let them have a little bit of a "break" at Disney? If strollers and kids' behavior while on vacation really bother you that much, maybe a more "adult" vacation destination would better meet your needs? :confused3

I totally have to agree with everyone about the strollers. I just got back this week from a week long trip at WDW and the kids/parents/strollers were horrible. I am confined to walking with crutches and since I can not walk great distances I need to use a wheelchair at WDW. That being said I can't tell you how many times I was rammed/run over by parents with strollers. My fiance had to pull me to a quick stop so that we wouldn't hit children running wild. It's like they see an opening in front of my fiance and just run forward not looking anywhere else. I understand that Disney is a magical place for adults and children alike but man people really need to learn manners, edict or something.

I completely disagree with you and honestly, you are basically saying settle for laziness when it comes to standards.

Walt Disney wanted and set high standards for Disney. They should be kept that way. That is what has made them successful in some aspects.

We should all want clean room, and by right of paying, should get that.

Secondly, Disney isn't just all about kids. Its about family, coming together, enjoying your time, and taking in all it is and was made to be.

This DISer wasn't saying everything was crap and nasty, but yes, a big part of it, and that is ok.

regardless of what anyone says, the majority of families that survive way over the top these days are almost non existant.

Its about really balancing life, living, and necesities to make things work. I can say that my family does make some what of a decent living, but we still "penny" pinch, coupon, etc. Its about being smart and making smart decisions.

People shouldn't have to lower their standard and assume the have to accept and be ok with things when they standards Disney themselves set up, came well under what they are set at.

People do not have to feel sorry and look over things because of those that choose or can not afford that type of lifestyle or desires for nicer things.
People will never get anyone without setting goals for themselves and their families or better yet, not get anywhere if they keep pouting that they don't have enought to have what the next person has.

There will be garbage everywhere, but we are all part of this crazy thing called life and the world and we are all responsible for setting standards to keep things nice, and setting up a place and example for ours, the next, and future generations. If we don't set standards then everything will turn to junk and garbage as you would say.

No one should have the right of way because of a stroller, etc. We should ALL be courteous and mindful of one another, respecting that everyone is there to have a good time. Everyone is there to enjoy their vacation, day, family, make memories, and enjoy what they paid for, regardless of what class you come from. I don't think that people go there to be miserable or make it hell for the next. If you are, then you have a serious problem.

Sounds like someone has outgrown the Disney magic. Time to sell that over priced DVC, and see something else in the world.

Sounds like someone has outgrown the Disney magic. Time to sell that over priced DVC, and see something else in the world.

Yeah I tend to agree... but I can use it at the DLR... that will probably be my next trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter