How I did NYE at the DLR! You can do it, too!

ArchOwl

The Highly Educated Owl
Hey everyone! I just returned from a great visit spanning the NYE holiday (afternoon of the 30th, all day the 31st and 1st). I have some tips and pics to share and wanted to let you all know that it is completely possible to have a good time over this busy holiday.

First tip: don't confine yourself to ringing in the New Year at DL! I understand that some people want to be in Disneyland Park for NYE. But you can have a great time at DCA complete with fireworks with far fewer people. I was on Paradise Pier and was watching the DCA fireworks and the DL fireworks. They were exactly the same in length (which is to say not very long at all) and I thought they were comparable in style. And I wasn't surrounded by thousands of my closest friends at DCA! :rotfl:

In fact here is the area I was in on Paradise Pier, this was a few minutes to midnight:

32C1CC18-AB45-4A22-8A54-D2E37FB48B36-6370-000004D1D51DF474.jpg

53AD21E2-77FD-4B9C-BC65-6853DD87A22C-6370-000004D1E1680713.jpg

Second tip: DL in the morning is absolutely fine! Arrived before opening and the walkways were clear and the ride times short in the morning.

Here is the NOS area between 8 and 9am:

686E0257-E6EE-46A8-AE8F-B3C0BDD8C03F-3513-00000300D064C6A2.jpg

F2F7DFD6-44CD-4823-A13A-DAA551FD8CDE-3513-00000300C347AC7A.jpg

Fantasyland was crowded by 10am, but to be expected especially since there was early entry that day:

C5AC9418-B6D7-4823-94C6-5609D2E18E6F-3513-00000300D9DD50C3.jpg

B0A1E388-BFEF-4436-80CA-06E6D680FF4E-3847-0000031B18BF6F93.jpg

There were campers in the DL hub in the morning. I took this picture around 10am and I couldn't imagine waiting here until midnight!

1C99DD59-49A1-42A7-8C19-8FD0F4D57E3D-3847-0000031B22D2E847.jpg

Third tip: avoid the locker line at DL! This line was one of the longest I saw in the morning at DL. Either pack light or maybe use the lockers outside the park or at DCA.

The line for lockers around 10:30am:
A9D86FEB-3556-4C6D-8097-665F1B93F131-3847-0000031B26EA5AAA.jpg

After a nice breakfast at Carnation Cafe, we hopped over to DCA and had no wait to get in the parks at all. We walked right up to a turnstile.

Wait times were what I would expect for a busy summer day. RSR was very busy in the morning, with wait times of 180+ minutes. The funny thing was as the day went on, the wait times decreased. I guess everyone was heading to DL. Late at night, the wait time for RSR was about 90 minutes! TOT was at 25 minutes, Screamin was at 25 minutes. Pretty darn good!

After riding a few rides, we decided to take a chance and go back to the hotel for a break. We left the resort around 1:30pm. Here was the esplanade:

8D47AFD8-9BED-4975-A2C5-DA93E1B9E4B8-3847-00000318AF6AA97F.jpg

B8C141B9-6E5F-45E6-9CE0-EC07E9DBC18F-3847-00000318D14FA55E.jpg

Honestly, I have seen worse during summer! :scared1:

We returned to the Resort around 4:30pm and tried for M&F parking lot, thinking we would mostly likely have to go to Toy Story. But surprise! The M&F lot was open and with minimal waits.

This was a 5-10 minute wait:
BDA71CAC-F683-4F03-94E6-4520C2680D72-6370-000004D1F015CAC2.jpg

We headed towards the GCH for dinner at Storyteller's. We had a great dinner, very relaxing! We decided to use the GCH entrance, expecting long lines. Uh, no. We waltzed in with no wait! DCA was not busy at all.

We were able to use some FPs from earlier and enjoyed the parks for a few hours. Around 8pm we used the single rider line for RSR. It was 10 minutes! :hyper:

Here is the FP line for Screamin' in the evening (sometime between 7 and 8pm). It was 25 minutes standby, faster for FP (obviously):
89630A67-6CA2-47D4-8CC7-0E50A6DDDFD0-6370-000004D1E5FE18E6.jpg

After a dessert stop at Ghiradelli's, we decided we would like to sit for awhile and have a nice drink. We went to Hearthstone Lounge at GCH. It was busy, but we got a table around 10pm. We asked the CM before we left the park if we would be able to get back in. She laughed and said yes, DCA was no where near capacity. They weren't even having APs get handstamps.

We enjoyed our drinks and about 45 minutes to midnight, we went back into DCA. No line to get it in at all. We decided to head to Paradise Pier. It was deserted. There were quite a few people in the WOC viewing area, but I have already seen WOC a number of times and didn't feel the need to see it tonight.

I showed you how deserted it was in the Paradise Pier area above. Almost no one there at all. We hung out and waited. About 10 minutes before midnight, a DJ came out and entertained until midnight. They used California Screamin' as the countdown clock. Then fireworks! They went off right on top of us and it was very cool.

97AE69D8-184D-4238-A9F7-7268CEBD5C15-6370-000004D1BEC5A14C.jpg

CE04BEAE-4419-4160-A390-8DE112D13DF8-6370-000004D198E841FB.jpg

The fountains from WOC "danced" along with the fireworks and I could also see the fireworks from DL. I think this is an edge for the DCA NYE show, since it used the WOC fountains along with the fireworks to create a very cool spectacle.
B4958D30-C32E-440A-8B16-F05B45FCBF2E-6370-000004D19326AA9D.jpg

Fourth tip: when a giant ball of fireworks comes out of the sky, do not run away from them leaving your child in the stroller in harms way! About 10 feet from where we were standing, a chunk of fireworks fell. The Dad ran away, leaving the stroller with a sleeping child in the direct path of the firework! Fortunately, they had the cover on, so the kid was fine. The Disney swarm arrived in seconds and soon there were 10+ employees surrounding the area and the Dad. The Mom was there too and let the Dad have it! What a way to ring in the New Year for that family! :mic:

As soon as the fireworks were over and WOC began, DH and I booked it over to Toy Story. No line! Walk-on! Score! I didn't even take a picture I was so excited. :rotfl: DH beat me, though. :sad: We rode it again with a 10 minute wait. We took our time on our way out of the parks, stopping to shop and get another snack. On NYE, Disney had offered the Glow With the Show Ears, Buy One Get One Free! There were so many in the WOC area, it looked cool.

Now, the hard part, getting out of the Resort area! I was expecting the worse and it was crowded. It was about 1am by the time we arrived at the M&F tram pickup. They had all 4 areas setup for pickup. Of course, most people went to the normal side and it was easily a half hour wait there.

Fifth tip: Don't go where everyone else is going! We were thinking of just walking back to the structure, but we checked out the other side of the tram area. There were people, but we got on the second tram on that side. We waited about 10 minutes to get out of the structure. Honestly, I have had summer nights easily WORSE than this.

Sixth tip: Don't leave the park right at midnight! I am sure that the tram area was MUCH worse at 12:30am. By waiting just a little longer, we were in our cars around 1:30am.

Overall, you CAN have a great time at the DLR during this busy time if you know how to navigate. If you are ok with being in DCA, I would definitely recommend heading there as DL gets busier. Unless you are dead set on watching WOC that night (it is the same WOC as any other night), catch the show from Paradise Pier with no crowds at all and a great view. The hardest part is getting out of the Resort, but it is doable. You can always walk back to the structure if all else fails, which is why I preferred to park there. I think I am getting addicted to spending NYE at the DLR. Such a fun night! pixiedust:

Have to agree with you Owl, I have seen much worse in August. My wife wants visit during the holidays but difficult to get off work. Great report.

Jack

Thanks for the info :) Ive never done the NYE thing (or any summer/busy season really), but we were there for the Leap Year Event last year. We also spent 90% of the day in DCA and DTD. Sadly, DCA had closed at 8 or 9 that night and DLR was PACCCKKKED. It was definitely an experience. I wonder how many people realized that there were fireworks at DCA as well as DL.

I was there on the afternoon of the 1st for about 2 hours and the crowds were much more reasonable than I expected. I think Space was just under an hour and most other major rides were 30-45 min. Definitely doable!

Glad you had a good time. One of these days I'll get to DLR for NYE. pixiedust:

Thanks for the report and all the tips, it looks like you had a great time!!!

Really neat. Thanks for the pics and the tips. With all this gloom and doom about park crowds it's good to hear a report like this

Good post! Super informative! Not sure we'll ever go over New Years but its nice to know that its an option and will work if we follow your tips.

Thanks for putting this together!

What a fun trip!

There were campers in the DL hub in the morning. I took this picture around 10am and I couldn't imagine waiting here until midnight!
And this is just plain ridiculous. How is this fun for anyone?

That you for your great report. I was wondering how the DLR was for New Years Eve. :)

Thanks Arch. You have given me the courage to consider NYE as a possible time to visit.

I spent my first NYE at Disneyland this year. I came away thinking I would probably never do that again, but after reading your report, I think I'd be willing to give DCA a try! It sounded sooo much better than the insane mobs at Disneyland!!! Thanks for the great report!!!

Thanks for the great report Arch! Sounds awesome! We did NYE a few years ago, and while it is not something I would do for every trip, it is certainly something I'm glad I did once. It was so magical!

One question: how were the parks on New Year's Day? On our last trip, we did three-day hoppers on Dec. 29-31, then went to Six Flags on NY Day. Six Flags was an absolute ghost town! We walked on everything, and often were the only people on any given ride. So I'm wondering if it is similar at DLR, or if the crowds tend to stay high on Jan. 1? Anyone know?

I can second what was already said about NYE. We stayed at the GCH for 4 nights. On the 31st, we went into DCA at 7am and I stood on the FP line with coffee in hand, while the other 4 family members went on Toy Story MM twice, and Screamin' twice. Then I walked over to get Tower of Terror FP's and met the family at Screamin, and got that FP. So I started the day by 8:15 am with FP for Screamin, RSR, and ToT. Then we made our rounds around DCA, and around 9 am I went over to DL and picked up FP's for Indy, Star Tours, Roger Rabbit..and then I had to kill time to wait for Space Mountain FP. Space Mtn was mobbed and the FP time ended up 11:30pm ! I guess I got the FP around 11:15 am. Then I rejoined the family at DCA.

A few more FP grabs (Soarin' was really busy) and lunch at Carthay Circle at 2pm. We were given a choice for WOC and took the midnite countdown show where we only had to be in the reserved area by 11:55pm. After lunch all 5 of us went over to DL and went on Pirates, Haunted Mansion, used the Indy FP, RR FP, and the Star Tours FP. We went back to DCA and used a bunch of our FP's, including an 8pm ride on RSR. We made our way over to DL again at 8:45 pm....they were checking hand stamps and AP's to see if we had been n the park earlier, and it was about a 5 minute wait. We were standing outside the bakery at 9pm..which was east coast New Year (we are from NY) and we were a bit disappointed that there was no mention of it being midnight on the east coast...just a slight nod to WDW. So back we went over to DCA for a few more FP rides (TOT especially since we had a few of them).

The only time I was chilly was during the WOC show. Up until then I was amused by the locals who were bundled up as if they were in Alaska, which contrasted with all of the visitors from Wisconsin who walked around in red sweaters or hoodies. By the way, the Wisconsin Badgers have great fans !!!!

At 12:30am some of us went back to the GCH; my sons went to DL to ride Space Mountain and at 2am one son rode Splash Mountain all alone. On the morning of the 1st, we 'slept in' until 8am and went into DL where the place was empty. Since we had to leave at noon to catch the flight at 2pm, we only took in a few rides and then some shopping. The final ride was Haunted Mansion Holiday.

All in all, the crowds were much better than we expected. Some CM's told me the weather was much colder (lows around 39) this year than last year when they hit 80 and that could have affected the crowds at night. I have never even thought about standing out in Times Square here in NY, but I would not hesitate to go to DLR again for NYE.

Several years ago, we went to DLR on Jan 1 and 2. I have never seen it so crowded in summer as it was on those days. Mornings were nice, of course. But soon even the Blue Sky Cellar had a long line to get in! :eek: And the area between DL and DCA was wall to wall people. I wish I had a picture of that. It was cold so it looked like a sea of black coats. At DL whenever we walked anywhere in the afternoon all we could do was shuffle along (like you would when leaving the park after fireworks). It was close to capicity and APs had to get hand stamps. The lines were all very long and the FPs were gone early. Don't know if those two days have gotten better over the years, but I'll take busy summer over those crowds!

DCA does sound like a good option for NYE though. I'd do that too over DL. I'm surprised DL would let them put blankets down in the middle of the walkway that early. Seems like that would just make it worse to get around. It is hard to tell, but it looks like someone is even laying down on the one of the blankets in the picture.

Thank you for the report. My DH was wondering how crowded DCA was going to be since we liked the entertainment line up. DCA NYE looks like something we might be doing next year.

First off, thank you everyone for your kind words. It was a very magical day and so fun. I hope you consider spending NYE in DCA, but of course just you guys, I don't want it to be too crowded! :rotfl:

What a fun trip!

And this is just plain ridiculous. How is this fun for anyone?

I don't see how. The fireworks couldn't have been more than 10 minutes long, probably shorter. So 14+ hours for that? Maybe they rotate family members on and off the blanket. But how are you going to keep your space the closer it gets to midnight? Crazy!

I spent my first NYE at Disneyland this year. I came away thinking I would probably never do that again, but after reading your report, I think I'd be willing to give DCA a try! It sounded sooo much better than the insane mobs at Disneyland!!! Thanks for the great report!!!

I was wondering how you were doing in DL! I heard it was pretty crazy over there. Of course, you were having fun at Club 33! I hope you write up a little something to tell everyone about your time there and your experience with NYE. :listen:

Thanks for the great report Arch! Sounds awesome! We did NYE a few years ago, and while it is not something I would do for every trip, it is certainly something I'm glad I did once. It was so magical!

One question: how were the parks on New Year's Day? On our last trip, we did three-day hoppers on Dec. 29-31, then went to Six Flags on NY Day. Six Flags was an absolute ghost town! We walked on everything, and often were the only people on any given ride. So I'm wondering if it is similar at DLR, or if the crowds tend to stay high on Jan. 1? Anyone know?

Well, it was surely not a ghost town. I didn't follow Dis protocol the next day because I am not as young as I used to be! :rotfl: I wasn't there for rope drop because I was tired! And dang, it probably would have been a good rope drop because there was no early entry for either park that day.

We didn't go on too many rides that day and hopped over to DCA in the afternoon-ish because DL was getting crowded. But it wasn't shoulder to shoulder or anything. I would rate it a typical summer day by the time I left. But it could have gotten worse and I just missed it! We had dinner plans at Carthay, so we spent a lot of time in DCA on our trip. :goodvibes

I can second what was already said about NYE. We stayed at the GCH for 4 nights. On the 31st, we went into DCA at 7am and I stood on the FP line with coffee in hand, while the other 4 family members went on Toy Story MM twice, and Screamin' twice. Then I walked over to get Tower of Terror FP's and met the family at Screamin, and got that FP. So I started the day by 8:15 am with FP for Screamin, RSR, and ToT. Then we made our rounds around DCA, and around 9 am I went over to DL and picked up FP's for Indy, Star Tours, Roger Rabbit..and then I had to kill time to wait for Space Mountain FP. Space Mtn was mobbed and the FP time ended up 11:30pm ! I guess I got the FP around 11:15 am. Then I rejoined the family at DCA.

A few more FP grabs (Soarin' was really busy) and lunch at Carthay Circle at 2pm. We were given a choice for WOC and took the midnite countdown show where we only had to be in the reserved area by 11:55pm. After lunch all 5 of us went over to DL and went on Pirates, Haunted Mansion, used the Indy FP, RR FP, and the Star Tours FP. We went back to DCA and used a bunch of our FP's, including an 8pm ride on RSR. We made our way over to DL again at 8:45 pm....they were checking hand stamps and AP's to see if we had been n the park earlier, and it was about a 5 minute wait. We were standing outside the bakery at 9pm..which was east coast New Year (we are from NY) and we were a bit disappointed that there was no mention of it being midnight on the east coast...just a slight nod to WDW. So back we went over to DCA for a few more FP rides (TOT especially since we had a few of them).

The only time I was chilly was during the WOC show. Up until then I was amused by the locals who were bundled up as if they were in Alaska, which contrasted with all of the visitors from Wisconsin who walked around in red sweaters or hoodies. By the way, the Wisconsin Badgers have great fans !!!!

At 12:30am some of us went back to the GCH; my sons went to DL to ride Space Mountain and at 2am one son rode Splash Mountain all alone. On the morning of the 1st, we 'slept in' until 8am and went into DL where the place was empty. Since we had to leave at noon to catch the flight at 2pm, we only took in a few rides and then some shopping. The final ride was Haunted Mansion Holiday.

All in all, the crowds were much better than we expected. Some CM's told me the weather was much colder (lows around 39) this year than last year when they hit 80 and that could have affected the crowds at night. I have never even thought about standing out in Times Square here in NY, but I would not hesitate to go to DLR again for NYE.

You did so well! Good for you! And I was probably one of the ones wrapped up in multiple layers, I was freezing! :rotfl2:

Several years ago, we went to DLR on Jan 1 and 2. I have never seen it so crowded in summer as it was on those days. Mornings were nice, of course. But soon even the Blue Sky Cellar had a long line to get in! :eek: And the area between DL and DCA was wall to wall people. I wish I had a picture of that. It was cold so it looked like a sea of black coats. At DL whenever we walked anywhere in the afternoon all we could do was shuffle along (like you would when leaving the park after fireworks). It was close to capicity and APs had to get hand stamps. The lines were all very long and the FPs were gone early. Don't know if those two days have gotten better over the years, but I'll take busy summer over those crowds!

DCA does sound like a good option for NYE though. I'd do that too over DL. I'm surprised DL would let them put blankets down in the middle of the walkway that early. Seems like that would just make it worse to get around. It is hard to tell, but it looks like someone is even laying down on the one of the blankets in the picture.

Hmmm...I wonder if the newly revamped DCA has really taken the pressure away from DL? The 1st was busy, but nothing like you describe. I have a feeling that DCA really just balances the Resort so much better than in years past. As I said above, it was busy on the 1st, but nothing like you describe.

I was surprised last year to see campers on the Hub in the morning. They do have to stay on the sidewalks and only in certain areas I believe. But it does look weird.

Here is another pic looking in a different direction with more campers:
18BC97EB-9DFB-4EED-A1F0-33201F894FA8-7985-000005C4C7CA4EBF.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter