How Hot Was It in August?

THERESA522

DIS Veteran
Now that the kids are older and I'd rather them not miss too much school, I'm thinking of moving our annual Disney vacay to August.

So, how hot is hot?

Hot !!!!!!!!!! weve gone in June 2x and swore never again in the summer. I dont think beginning of May, this time, is gonna be much better. but its the week after DD college graduation(barring no F's) and we dont want her to have to cancel for a job.;);)

Due to scheduling issues, we've had to schedule our several of our trips to WDW in late August (usually 3rd or 4th week) and it has been hot and humid every time. Plus, you usually get the typical Florida afternoon thunderstorms. Sometimes they go through quickly, other times the rain can last for several hours.

We were there the week of 8/19. We had quite a bit of rain, but mostly in the evening or overnight. It was humid; the temps were around 91-92 degrees, but the humidity was quite high as were the dew points. We had one fairly nice evening right after a rainstorm when it was quite nice for a few hours, but that was about it. It was basically pretty steamy. :rolleyes:

Now that the kids are older and I'd rather them not miss too much school, I'm thinking of moving our annual Disney vacay to August.

So, how hot is hot?

Theresa, Me also being from NJ & never been to WDW in the summer, until this past August 22-sep1. was skeptical as well. NJ hot & humidity is basically the same as down there. The park that you feel it the most is definetely AK. That park is always hotter, but seemed pretty bad the 2 days we went there.

I'd try an plan my day or days at AK, according to the forecast.

Let me say though crowd level is pretty good, with mostly people from the northeast....If I wasn't going in the spring than I wouldn't hesitate to go again during this time...Prices are cheaper too...Have fun:thumbsup2

How hot is hot? It's as hot as the 7th layer of hell - I was born and raised in west central FL, so take it for whatever it's worth to you! :)

Unfortunately, since I'm a teacher, we are only able to go during the summer. We always go the 3rd week of August because the prices drop that week and I don't have to be back for work week until the last week of August. I guess in 18 more years when I'm able to retire we will be able to go in September to see the fall decorations and in December to see Christmas.

DH and I were there Aug. 19-23 this year and it was hot but I didn't think it was unbearable...we left the park everyday around 1 or 2 to go to the pool and rest and returned about 4 or 5 so we missed most of the hottest part of the day. And there are a lot of rides/attractions that have lines inside a cool building so we were not bothered.

We did have to deal with a lot of rain this trip...went in 2009 during the same week of August and it only rained on us 2 times in our 7 day stay. We have a CM friend who moved down and started right before we left last month and his comment when I asked him what to expect was, "I can guarantee it will rain everyday at 4pm." Well, the first day we were down there (19th) it stormed at 3:00, 6:00, 7:30, and 9:00...they had to postpone Wishes until the storm passed. The next day we were at HS and there was a storm in the middle of the aternoon (while we were back at the resort) and another "deluge" during EMH at 11pm...we ended up getting soaked while waiting for our bus to go back to ASMu.

We spent 12 nights in the World last month, the 5th-17th. It definitely di NOT feel as hot as last September, but it was pretty darn hot. Not so hot that I'd never do it again, though. In fact, most nights it was pretty cool at night. I'd say in the 70's. We couldn't go night swimming because my DD's lips turned blue and she was shivering the night we attempted it.

Yes, being from NJ, we're used to the humidity.

I'm so tired of making up all the school work when I pull the kids out of school...just don't want to be bothered with it next year. Also, I'd like to go next year for at least 10 days, probably more, and I just can't do that during the school year.

I've already been to the World in May during two heat waves (95+ temps every day) and we survived! So, it looks like we might brave the real heat next year.

Thanks everyone!

It's hot and humid. But if you go early, take breaks in the sfternoon and return in the evening, you'll survive and actually have a good time!!!

We always try to make rope drop, have a ts lunch and then stay at parks until 3/4pm. Head back to hotel for swim and then return to parks at 7ish. Oh and drink alot if water!

We went August 2009 and 2012. The kids are itching to go back so I guess the heat did not bother them at all. Actually, dh and I want to go back too - so it did not bother us either!

We've gone 4 times for the last week of August. It is HOT. Not unmanageable and certainly worth it for the discounts, lower crowds and not having to pull the kids out of school. This year it got to me more than other years.

We've been in May and February as well. Those trips were more enjoyable weather wise, but it's not possible for us to pull the kids out of school often so August is best for now.

I should add that it gets as hot and humid here as it is there. The difference is I go out in it as little as possible here and when I am on vacation I am out walking around in it for hours every day. So you do notice it more. Again, it's doable but you need to have a plan.

We've been going in August for years, now, and yes it's hot but being from NJ we know about heat and humidity. We take full advantage of the extra magic hours, morning and evening, so we don't feel we have to barge through the parks like a battalion of Sherman tanks to get things accomplished. We leave the parks for a few hours in the afternoon to just take a break at our resort, maybe have a little dessert and watch tv or maybe swim. August is certainly doable if you take it easy in the afternoons.

I'm from NJ too and just went the last week of August. It wasn't that bad at all. Parks weren't too crowded, I did follow easywdw suggestions and it worked out great. I wouldn't hesitate to go again the same week. After the summer we had in NJ it was a piece of cake.

So, how hot is hot?

Hotter than the surface of the sun! I notice no difference between the late August/September heat than in the 4th of July heat. This last trip was our 3rd time going in August/September and it was the last. We are going to switch our trips to January. It is by far the most enjoyable time to me to take a trip.

October is by far my favorit time to go to Disney, however as my son got older I too decided it is not worth it to take him out of school, He is 15 now and for the last 4 years we have gone end of Aug. Very Hot! Thank goodness a lot of Disneys rides are airconditioned. My brother went in June and said that was also very hot. Well since we are going again next Aug I guess it isn't that bad. Florida starts school around mid Aug so we always go towards the end at least the crowds are a little better.:thumbsup2

We went 3rd week of August and while midday was extremely hot, we had quite a bit of rain which made it more comfortable. We only had 2 or so days where it was dripping sweat hot, the rest were bearable.

we went 8/3 to 8/15. Must say that we spent a lot of time in the water and didn't even feel it. Park days we had to be strategic. I sweat more than I ever thought possible. If you are familiar with disney it is easier as you know what to do outside in the am and move into the shows and indoor stuff when the heat gets really hot in the afternoon. We have no expire passes so for us a day is a day and we had full 15 hour days at MK, Bush Gardens, DHS/Epcot and Seaworld. First day in the park kids got dizzy from the heat so we rethought out plan and had the kids wear tankini tops and constantly got wet. Brought in frozen water bottles in a small cooler. That said we really liked the extended hours and shows. Will probably go back again in Aug. next year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter