How hot is it really??

If you do end up going at that time and get overheated, don't forget about the first aid centers. My dad got sick because of the heat, and just being in the AC and sitting for a while was a huge help.

Thanks for all the answers. It has been a huge help. i think the only concern we truly have is Hurricanes. Will they shut the parks down if they get hit with one?

Thanks for all the answers. It has been a huge help. i think the only concern we truly have is Hurricanes. Will they shut the parks down if they get hit with one?

Orlando rarely gets hit directly.In fact they evac coastal Florida TO orlando.But if one were projected, yes they will close the parks.They will also confine you to your resort room.It happens, but not all that often.There a few posters here that can tell you what happens.

Yes, it can be pretty hot. But, I don't think its all that different than a typical summer day in the northeast. The main difference is that it doesn't cool off at night as much.

We were there the 3rd and 4th week of August in 2009 and the high was usually in the high 80's; maybe very low 90's. Did the same thing in 2007, but add at least 5 degrees to that.

If you're sensitive to heat and don't like to sweat, it may not be the time of year for you. But, we like going in late August as the crowds drop pretty quickly.

I pretty much second all you have read here about Florida LOL it at times is like breathing water the humidity is so thick.

Here is a first hand account of riding out a hurricane in Disney. They are good :thumbsup2

http://boortz.com/nuze/200408/08162004.html

Monday, August 16, 2004

IF YOU'RE GOING TO SIT OUT A HURRICANE ...

... try to arrange to sit the hurricane out at Walt Disney World. Even though I was there, less than 10 miles from the eye of Hurricane Charley, I can't say that I feel like I was actually in a hurricane. We were staying at the Ft. Wilderness Lodge villas. Friday afternoon they came around and put flashlights in every room. We never needed them. The electricity never went out. Disney has its own power system, and all lines are underground. The Disney theme parks all closed at 1:00 pm on Friday, so guests were swarming back into the hotels. Staffers put up craft tables to occupy the kids, free movies were being run on the in-room televisions. The restaurants closed for about two hours to let the hurricane pass through, then reopened late in the evening. The winds at this area of Disney were probably a sustained 80 miles per hour. Miles away the winds were at 105 miles per hour. At the Wilderness Lodge they were serving a midnight buffet for guests. When we woke up on Saturday morning the staff was already clearing downed trees and debris, and by mid afternoon the only clue you had that a hurricane had gone through were tree stumps. My guess is that they'll be gone by this afternoon.Saturday morning I got in the car to see what was happening. After leaving the protective cocoon of Disney World the destruction became immediately apparent. Almost every sign along US 192 was stripped naked. Trees and power lines were down everywhere. Virtually nobody had any electricity. People in hotels and motels outside Disney were gathered in parking lots making meals of whatever they could find. Business owners were trying to clean up debris in hopes that they would be in some condition to open when the power came back on.

I came back to Atlanta on Sunday. Donna drove to Naples to see what damage had occurred to our properties there. She called me when she drove through the Port Charlotte - Punta Gorda area. She was crying. She couldn't believe the extent of the damage she was seeing. Donna is a trained Red Cross disaster relief volunteer. It may be a while before she comes back to Atlanta.

I've been in hurricanes before without any serious troubles. I was fortunate enough to weather this one nestled safe inside the ultra-prepared confines of Disney. I saw first hand though the agony that other people are going through. Lives have been lost. Retirement homes, jobs, livelihoods have been lost. There could be as many as one million Floridians still without electricity today. Let's keep them in our prayers ... especially those who lost loved ones and friends.

Two more thoughts. First, get your car filled up before the hurricane hits. Second ... I have a new attitude about evacuation orders. If I'm ever in a place where an evacuation order is given ... I'm in the car before the second-hand makes another sweep.

Finally ... when I got back to Atlanta on Sunday afternoon I noticed a lot of email messages from people wondering how I fared in the hurricane. Just fine, thanks. And thanks for caring.

I have lived in the Northeast for 20+ years, and my wife and kids were born here and have lived here their entire lives. It is hot, but we have no issues dealing with the heat. :confused3

We were in Orlando for Hurricane Charley in 04. The hurricane hit on a Friday evening, and the parks were open that day until 1 pm. The next day every park was open except AK, albeit without monorails running or FP working.

As for August heat and humidity: yes, it's oppressive, but it's manageable and you know what you're getting every day. And I like the relatively light crowds the last part of August.

The plan as of now like most have said is do Rope Drops and stay til lunch then head back to the hotels for some cooling off then pool then back to the park for the nightcap

The plan as of now like most have said is do Rope Drops and stay til lunch then head back to the hotels for some cooling off then pool then back to the park for the nightcap

Just be aware that the pools are not refreshing, they are very warm, almost like bathwater.

As for the heat, it was like walking into a brick wall when exiting the hotel each morning.

But we've done it twice, it is very do-able if you stay hydrated and get into the ac as much as you can.

Maybe it's just me but in the summertime in Florida the rays from the sun hurt when they hit exposed skin. The word of the day is big hats and sun block!

We have done the end of August 3 times. It was very hot, but managable. Last year we went in July and it was much worse. Just know what you are getting into and keep in mind that it could be worse.

We went mid-August, and I have never felt heat like that in my life... It was literally unbearable to be outside waiting on lines and dealing with crowds. We're from NJ and are fairly used to hot summers, but we were completely unprepared for Florida last August!! I wouldn't ever go again then.

HOT :lmao:

Like walking ten miles in a steamroom while fully clothed AND baking under a heat lamp.

Though after two straight months of this unseasonable cold I would welcome August right now...we *might* make it to 70 this weekend.

It IS VERY hot! I am from Indianapolis and I don't like the heat but, I am used to humidity. We went end of August/beginning of September twice and NEVER again. However it is totally doable.

Giant hats

cooling neck ties

misters

fans with misters

hurry it along to air conditioned areas

Do NOT wait outside for an hour to eat at the Plaza restaurant (that's with reservations.) :sad2:

HAVE to do breaks during the afternoon from around 1is to around 5 or 6ish

If you can get up morning EMH would be wonderful. We do rope drop and it its warm then but, not too hot. I imagine EMH morning would be even better.

At the End of August??

I know its gonna be hot and humid just curious how much so?

Any New Englanders go during this time?

We're from MA and went for our first summer trip last August. I was very concerned about the heat but honestly we were fine. We went knowing what to expect and had a plan. We went to the parks early, left for pool time when we were too hot, had lots of cool snacks and drank lots of water. I brought little mister fans for everyone. That really helped when you were standing in line somewhere. Don't get me wrong! It was HOT! :scared1: The funny thing was that the week we were at Disney at home in MA they had a heatwave and it was even hotter there! :rotfl: Just don't try to commando your trip and you'll be fine.

I was much more concerned about hurricanes and just before we left there were threats of them but we ended up not be affected. We went with the attitude that unless the hurricane shuts down the park at least we'd be cooler and have lower crowds. :goodvibes

We arrived in WDW, at the CR, about 2pm on Friday, the 13th of Aug, '04. Hurricane Charley arrived about 6 hrs later!!! They shut down the parks at 3ish....the restaurants in the CR were closed down due to the amount of glass there.
We were sent over to the convention to fill up styro boxes with food from huge tables and took them back to our rooms. We were told to stay in our rooms that night, from about 6pm on, and stay away from the doors and windows. Charley flew overhead a few hours later, and was long gone by morning.
FtW was evacuated due to it's low lying area and guests moved to other resorts. HDDR was cancelled for the next two nights...of course we had ARDs there for our first night that had been booked almost a year in advance...we had to reschedule for later in our trip and ended up with not so great seats/table.
But...MK opened right on time that day. AK remained closed that first day but the other two parks opened a few hours late.
The CMs worked their tails off getting everything stowed before the storm hit. The CMs at the CR brought in all the pool chaises, put them in one of the smaller convention rooms and then slept on them that night!! And they still had smiles for the guests the next day!!!
I have absolutely no fear of being in WDW during a hurricane. They are very well equipped to deal with it...you are safer there than in about 98% of the rest of that area.

get a case or two of water becuase you'll drink them, even if you aren't big water drinkers... I had one alcoholic drink the whole trip, because I was hot and all i wanted was water. My DH that is in no way a water drinker downed those things like candy....
$3.99 at the store for a case is so much better then $2 a bottle at the park....Hope you have a great time...:banana:

We've made a few trips during mid to late August. It was very hot and humid, but we found it manageable. The crowds aren't nearly as bad as June or July, and as long as you get to the parks early, you can enjoy the pool or your nice cool resort for the afternoon, you should be o.k.Then it's great to be able to go back out in the evening after dark. August is also a great time to cool off in the water parks. Just make sure to get there early as well so you can get in a full morning before the early afternoon thunderstorms roll in!

Oh, I forgot to mention, we are from Massachusetts, and we have had equally hot and humid days here!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter