How Hot is it in August

minniebows

Earning My Ears
Trying to find a time to go to WDW. We are thinking about early August before the kids go back to school. Just wondering how hot it is and how crowded it is?
Thanks

The temperature is 90f to 96f, with higher heat index and high chance of afternoon showers.

August is pretty much the hottest and most humid time of the year! seriously. You have to make sure you keep hydrated and take that very seriously. always have water with you. But don't get me wrong, it is a great time to go! We used to go the first week of August for years.

Crowd-wise, I don't think it's very crowded. but then again I'm comparing that to the last time we went, Christmas time. The parks have late EMH, which are often times empty. You should REALLY take advantage of those -- less crowds, less heat!!! Take a break mid-day to relax and maybe swim.

Early August VERY VERY HOT and crowded. Late August VERY VERY HOT and not as crowded as normal summer crowds. It is HOT, even for us southerners.

We were there last year Aug 14 - 20th and it was HOT. with heat index was 115 and the lowest the actual temp got was 85 degrees at 2am. But I loved every minute of it. Just make a reservation in the afternoon when its the hottest. plan a break to go back to hotel and swim or just relax in the air conditioned room. then head back to the parks for the night. I have been other times of the year but this was my favorite trip.
I am a NY girl so I am not used to that much heat but it is definitely manageable.

Never again will I go to WDW June July August and October. In my twenties we went in July and that was 30 yrs ago I made the proclamation and stood by it. The crowds were bad but the heat was UNBEARABLE.

It is HOT. I have been very hot and sweaty even at 10 at night in the summer, if the humidity gets high enough.

Stay onsite, start early in the AM and plan an afternoon pool break.
Bring water bottles and keep them full. Limit caffeine and alcohol intake.
I always wear, and require my kids to wear, shirt sleeves. We are too fair to have our shoulders uncovered, and sunscreen does not protect enough.
Plan for wet rides during the day. Know where misting stations and water play areas are.
Wear a hat. I like ball caps that I can put my hair up through the back.

It is managable if you plan and know what to expect. Have fun!

We have been in August MANY times. It is VERY hot!!!
We had to apply sunscreen twice a day and would only go out first thing in the morning and then come back to our hotel for a much needed rest in the afternoon, then head back out around 4pm or so. The middle of the day is unbearable!

We brought portable fans and misters, which helped a little.

We've been many times during the last two weeks of August. Crowds are pretty light, but the previous posters are right: it is incredibly hot. In fact, it's hard to imagine what the heat is like until you experience it. It's doable and we've had fun trips, but there are many things you need to cut back on or not do because of the heat. In general, you just have to take it easier and leave plenty of time to rest. Just walking across the park in the heat is exhausting. We never go to the parks in the afternoon when we go in August - only the pool or a nap in the room because the heat is too much. Good luck if you decide to go then!

To quote Smash Mouth - "You might as well be walking on the sun . . " :rotfl2:

We went in early August last year and have also been to Universal in late August. Not sure where in NC you live, but I had great fun checking the Blackberry to find out it was hotter in Wilmington with a higher heat index than it was at Disney (I'm easily amused :rolleyes1).

It is hot and humid, but not that different from NC in August. The difference is that you end up being outside more than you would be at home, so drink plenty of water and get inside whenever possible - watch shows during the heat of the day or take a break to swim. It's totally doable.

I do not, however, recommend Sea World in August. With very, very few exceptions, everything is outside and broiling.

I went this past August. The heat and humidity were truly awful. I would strongly discourage you from going in June, July, August or September.

The worst times for crowds are:

Christmas (December 19 - January 1)
Easter (April 17 - 25)
July 4 (July 2 - 6)
Thanksgiving (November 22 - 26)
President's Day (February 20 - 26)
Spring Break (March 14 - 28)
Summer Break (Late June, all of July and first two weeks of August)

David

I think the only places I'm happy during the hotter months of the year like August are the movies or a waterpark.I went to Aquatica this year during August on one of the hottest days of the year,temperatures in the 96-100 range and heat indexes in the 112-120 range,my car's thermometer read 103 and the wavepools at Aquatica also have thermometers which read 100 most of the day.I had to buy sandals at the gift shop as by 12-1pm the ground became like lava,now I had been to waterparks before without sandals and the ground gets hot,I knew that going in but in my 100's of other times visiting a waterpark I had never seen the ground get like it did that day.I'm from Florida and have AP's so while I may not like the theme parks this time of year if it's the only time you can go,you definitely should go and make the best of it,many people use the go early,do the major rides and go back to the hotel between 1pm and 4pm to go in the pool and relax to go back to the parks for the night.

Too hot! We have pretty much vowed off of Disney for July and August. We went this past late September and pretty much had to constantly squirt ourselves with our misting fans to survive. It's still fun...after all, it is Disney World. Nobody knows the difference in the pool. LOL The kids did get tired and more cranky in the heat, as did we.

You will be sweating almost as soon as you get out of the door in morning. Its really very hot and the humidity makes it worse!

We have gone 3 times during this time though, so you can have fun. We go last week of Aug into the first or sec. week of Sept due to school. It's not a busy time and most waits we had were 15 min or there-about.

We got free cups of ice water very often and added the flavor packets to them to stay hydrated. We had the misting fans from walmart, a fan attached to the stroller and the smaller hand held non misting fans..........its really hot....almost unbearable.....almost

We go every year the last week of August..this past year wasn't bad at all. But i strongly suggest not going the week of August 21-27..lol its really bad that week, make sure you tell everyone you know ; )

We were there the week before Labour Day. As mentioned.. it was really hot. It didn't ruin our trip, and it wasn't horrendous. But if you go in August, adjust your expectations and be prepared! Drink water constantly, step into air conditioning every once in awhile, and take plenty of breaks:)

Trying to find a time to go to WDW. We are thinking about early August before the kids go back to school. Just wondering how hot it is and how crowded it is?
Thanks

Wait, you're in North Carolina. Pretty much you're just as hot in august. The sun is a bit stronger but if you can tolerate August in NC, you'll be fine in Orlando.

Thanks everyone for the reply. Yes we live in NC so it is very humid here during August. We will do some outside training to try to prerare ourselves for the heat and humidity. Thanks for all the great tips>

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter