How hot does it have to be for you to use your AC?

LuluLovesDisney

<font color=red>If you're not outraged, you're not
Just curious - what is the average temp. at which you say, ok, the AC is going on.

DW has bad allergies, so opening windows is a no-no in our house. As soon as it warms up outside, by late spring, our AC is on. We usually keep the AC on 75 when we are home during the day and 74 at nite when we're sleeping.

I turn it on when the inside temp reaches 80, unless the air is really dry and there is a great breeze.

As soon as the weather starts getting warm we turn it on & leave it on right through until the cold weather. DH & one DD have allergies.

Plus, I can't see opening & closing windows continually just because it's a little cooler outside. Makes more cleaning for me because all the dust & dirt is coming through the screens. Also, we've gotten used to not hearing all the outside noise while we are sleeping.

Even if they didn't have allergies I'd just leave it on.

72 degrees is my breaking point at work. At home it is 76degrees. Honestly, I think the thermostat at work malfunctions, because I work in an office and at 72 degrees it is unbearable, but at home that same temp is too cold. And I am like the others, I have bad allergies too and I can't have any windows up polluting my house.

DiznNut said:
I think the thermostat at work malfunctions, because I work in an office and at 72 degrees it is unbearable, but at home that same temp is too cold.
It really depends on the structure, the insulation, the geographic exposure, etc. At my office, we keep the air on 71 or 72. When my partner is in, he lowers it to 68 because his office has a huge picture window that gets mid-day sun. Plus, his office is next to the front door, so everytime it opens a blast of hot air comes in.

At home, like I said, we are on 75 or 74. I would never put it on 71 as we'd be freezing. But we also have replaced all our windows and doors, resided the house and put in a high efficiency central air unit a few years ago.

disneysteve said:
DW has bad allergies, so opening windows is a no-no in our house. As soon as it warms up outside, by late spring, our AC is on. We usually keep the AC on 75 when we are home during the day and 74 at nite when we're sleeping.
I have asthma and allergies so no open windows ever. Our air goes on in late April and stays on until mid October. DH always laughs that we only go a week between heat and air. :rotfl2: We set ours to 70 day or night.

disneysteve said:

Ditto for us! DD is allergic to tree and grass and most other pollens. Spring comes, windows close, ac on. My electric company loves us :).

mickeyfan2 said:
I have asthma and allergies so no open windows ever. Our air goes on in late April and stays on until mid October. DH always laughs that we only go a week between heat and air. :rotfl2: We set ours to 70 day or night.

What Mickeyfan said. This is one area in which I am NOT interested in saving money.

It is actually on all summer but only goes on when it hits over 75 in the house. DH works outside a lot during the summer so likes it cool here.

I hate AC. I am sitting here. It is a balmy 83 degrees and my windows are wide open. It got up to 87 today (I think) and my windows were open all day. I will only turn it on when it hits 90 with high humidity or my DH throws a fit (whatever comes first). Even then, I never set it below 78.

DS8 has allergies so we never open our windows. The a.c. gets turned on in late April & gets turned off again sometime in September.

For myself, I'd choose around 85 or 86 degrees, I think. But my husband wants the house not to get over 80 (often 82 I'll set it to) for the sake of the computers. :)

Something to consider for those how have real wood floors, cabinets and furniture is that real wood does not like to see large swings in humidity. It can cause the wood to expand and contract too quickly and crack the wood. Say you leave your windows open each night and turn the air on during the day. At night the humidity could be 80-90% and in the day with the air ~50%. This is not a good environment for real wood. Also mold can grow when the humidity is >50%. Mold is a major cause of allergies and some molds can be fatal. Our AC has a variable speed blower that is controlled by the humidity in the air. We set it at 50% and the dehumidifer in the basement is set at 40%. No mold here. In the winter humidity is normally low, so not a mold problem time.

I KEEP THE AC ON 75 OF A DAY, 68 A NIGHT.........HUBBY BELIEVES IN SETTING THE AC BY THE CALENDAR "it's not july yet"...............i believe in using the thermostat................he also believes in setting the heat the same way, "it's not even november yet," the crazy butt buffoon...............................

LuluLovesDisney said:
Just curious - what is the average temp. at which you say, ok, the AC is going on.

When I was transferred to Central Texas in the early 80's I designed and built a passive solar home. I worked out of town for six years immediately after the house was completed and returned to Texas in 1990. I haven't used the AC or heater since my return...I doubt the system even works any more. While all my neighbors are spending fortunes on AC, I'm able to save for Disney trips...Thank goodness for the pool, though! It's HOT here!
:love:

We bought a great house. It has lots of trees around it and was well built for insulation. This has helped us SO MUCH. We don't need A/C unless it gets above 85 and even then our house is about 10 degrees colder than outside air.

Dawn

Our AC basically runs year around, except maybe November, December and January (sometimes Feb.).

It would have to be darn hot since we would have to borrow $2,500 to have it installed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter