• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

How have your kids embarrassed you at WDW?

I think me and my siblings all embarrassed our parents plenty of times growing up.

I remember my brother got gum stuck in my hair and I had a screaming fit all the way out of line of Splash Mountain, down through MK, and on the way back to the resort. They had to cut it out of my hair and I was inconsolable for hours. I also remember being afraid of the auto flushing toilets and would go through this routine of holding it until I was about to explode and then we ALWAYS had to leave line to make a beeline for the bathroom, only for me to get into the restroom stall and freak out because I remembered the toilets were scary. So I'd refuse to go and get into an arguing match with my mom or older sister about going to the bathroom, which ended up with people waiting in line yelling at us to get out if we weren't going to go. Which would then turn into me sobbing about having to go potty so baaaaad that I was about to go in my pants. My mom let me go in my shorts once, and refused to change me until we were back at the resort an hour later, and after that I learned to put up with the scary toilets. When I was about five, my mom said I actually tried jumping out of the boat on potc because I wanted to be a pirate so badly. This was back in like 2001 or 2002 when the first pirates came out in theaters and I really liked the movie and dedicated a 10 year chunk of my life to wanting to be Elizabeth Swann. I once created a petition to add Elizabeth Swann to the ride when I was like 8 or 9 and brought it with me to vacation and would go up to random CMs and guests to have them sign it. My mom was so embarrassed by that.

My older sister also decided once at a character meal to go use the bathroom by herself, and came back with a wad of cash. She ended up wandering her way through the restaurant and took a server's tip that was left out on the table. My parents were mortified and got a manager to return the tip to and apologize. They made my sister go up to the server to apologize in person, and she ended up saying that she wasn't sorry she took her money because she wanted to use it to buy a Mickey doll. The server and manager came to our table with mickey dolls and a balloon for all of us, and my parents were furious my sister didn't learn anything from what she did. They took away her mickey and balloon and we left the place with her having an epic meltdown and everyone staring at us. To make the situation worse, me, my brother and other sister thought were were like celebrities since everyone was looking at us and we just smiled and waved to everyone as we walked out.

See, whenever you think your kids are bad, just be grateful that you don't have brats as bad as me and my siblings were as kids!

That is just epic.

My kids usually just say embarrassing things. Like DD4 explaining to Cinderella about her infected thumb or telling the nice young lady in the Norwegian pavilion her older sister makes fart noises with her eye sockets. I'm sure they've heard worse, though.

Give me some hope here- you've all turned out to be fine upstanding young adults? Right???

My older sister is an amazing mom and has a great job and is wonderful! lol I'm only 19 so I'm still in college but think I turned out okay! My younger siblings though...

:rolleyes1

I kid, I kid. We all ended up well adjusted and pretty decent people.

I'm taking my kids for the first time next year so I will have to wait to see what they do. However, I think I greatly embarrassed my mom when I was 15. I was in this hormone induced stage where every girl that walked by was just super attractive to me. So I would be walking along with my mom and the next thing you know I had my head turned and was walking backwards, or a completely different direction. She was getting mad.

One of the worst was when she had me sit down to hold a table while she grabbed a meal at a quick service spot. There was this really hot girl at the next table doing the same for her grandmother. Being Mr. Romance I decided to start a conversation with her. Next thing I knew I was sitting at her table chatting her up (she was visiting from Scotland). Before I knew it, my mom showed up and the table I had been saving had been taken by someone else! There was no place to sit except with this girl...if her grandma said yes...which she did. So I continued to get my flirt on. I didn't hear the end of that one for a LONG time. :D

He also blasted someone's poor grandmother with one of those giant water gun things at Kidani, then laughed hysterically. I apologized profusely.

Sorry, but I bet he wasn't the only person laughing. Isn't that what water guns are meant for? :rotfl2:

Seriously, my kids were 4, 6 and 8 when we went two years ago. I'm sure there were moments, but I honestly don't remember anything embarrassing. What your kids did doesn't sound that bad to me at all. Although I'm sure the magic band episode was a real pain...

Never a boring moment, right?

I am not sure embarrassed is the right word, more like mortified... It was purely accidental, but my daughter got sick in the pool and they had to close the pool for the rest of the night. I was horrified that we caused others to have to leave the pool, but I don't blame her for it. I think she was as surprised as I was. Right before that happened the life guard had to jump in to save a two year old whose mother was drinking on the other side of the pool with her friends. I would consider that something to be embarrassed of. Honestly with all the pressure parents put on kids to get their monies worth at Disney, I am surprised that kids don't melt down more often.

For some odd reason, my kids were always on better behavior at WDW than at home. Except for that one trip...

Older daughter was in college, younger was a junior in high school, and their mutual friend had been given a trip to WDW for a graduation present. So the 3 of them go, (oh no, 3 is an odd number, someone always gets left out) and I get a phone call a few days into the trip. I work at our local high school, and my cell phone rings during class. It ID's as my younger daughter, oh crap. She knows not to call unless there is an emergency. I answer.

"Mom, A is being mean, make her stop!"

"Put her on the phone-"

"Hi Mom"

"-A, don't make me have to come down there and deal with this, no wait, I will..."

A laughs, admits she is tired, and decides to go back to the room and sleep. After she gets a good night's sleep, all is well and they have a great trip. Still wish I had gone down there to 'deal with it' ;)

DD1 didn't do anything on our last trip. I have a feeling her sister will make up for that on our upcoming trip. She is a little spitfire.

I do remember a trip when I was in high school and my grandparents took my sisters and me. I was 15, my middle sister was 12, and my youngest sister was 3 (yes, she was a surprise, a wonderful one, but still a surprise.) The day we did MK, we did it all wrong. We didn't stop for YS to take a nap, so she was a total nightmare and even ran away from us in Mickey's Toontown. I had to drop everything and chase her through the park. I'm sure people thought I was trying to kidnap her or something. After that, my MS wanted to ride BTMRR, but I didn't and was being stubborn and wouldn't ride it with her. So my grandmother rode it with her and I stayed with YS. Well, it made my grandmother sick and she was throwing up in the bushes while we stopped to watch the parade. It was not the best day in the MK. Looking back now, we laugh about it and remember it as the MK day from hell.
:rotfl2:

We are heading on our first trip in Dec, but based on past history, I am sure I will have something to share when we get back.

Not Disney, but my most embarrassing moment was with my DD (which is surprising, because she is the sweetest, kindest thing in the world, but this fact also contributed to the shocking turn this story took). She was 4 at the time. We were at the grocery store, and I had to go to the customer service desk to return something. There were two employees behind the counter, both older ladies, and one had a pretty big mole on her face. This lady came over to help, and after getting my return started, gave a great big smile to my DD and said, "You look like a pretty little princess!". My daughter beamed a great big smile in return, and proceeded to reply very loudly: "You look like a WITCH!". Oh. My. God. Kill me now.

Thankfully, the other lady behind the counter busted out laughing so hard she started crying, which caused the "witch" lady to start laughing too, and of course my DD joined in for good measure, which for the most part defused the situation. But to this day, nothing tops the level of embarrassment I felt at that moment. Here's hoping it stays that way :P

I am not sure embarrassed is the right word, more like mortified... It was purely accidental, but my daughter got sick in the pool and they had to close the pool for the rest of the night. I was horrified that we caused others to have to leave the pool, but I don't blame her for it. I think she was as surprised as I was. Right before that happened the life guard had to jump in to save a two year old whose mother was drinking on the other side of the pool with her friends. I would consider that something to be embarrassed of. Honestly with all the pressure parents put on kids to get their monies worth at Disney, I am surprised that kids don't melt down more often.

Your poor DD! I saw SO much puking in DW last week- unfamiliar delicious food and a ton of motion rides has it's downside, I guess.

DD1 didn't do anything on our last trip. I have a feeling her sister will make up for that on our upcoming trip. She is a little spitfire.

I do remember a trip when I was in high school and my grandparents took my sisters and me. I was 15, my middle sister was 12, and my youngest sister was 3 (yes, she was a surprise, a wonderful one, but still a surprise.) The day we did MK, we did it all wrong. We didn't stop for YS to take a nap, so she was a total nightmare and even ran away from us in Mickey's Toontown. I had to drop everything and chase her through the park. I'm sure people thought I was trying to kidnap her or something. After that, my MS wanted to ride BTMRR, but I didn't and was being stubborn and wouldn't ride it with her. So my grandmother rode it with her and I stayed with YS. Well, it made my grandmother sick and she was throwing up in the bushes while we stopped to watch the parade. It was not the best day in the MK. Looking back now, we laugh about it and remember it as the MK day from hell.
:rotfl2:

See, that was our trip. Every day. But we still liked it lol. Glad you all still like WDW and go back there:)

OP thank you! These stories make me laugh and feel some comfort because we are taking our toddler in a few short weeks & I'm fairly certain I wil have some stories to share. :rotfl:

I have a high spirited DD (barely 4 at the time) too. She nearly tripped a waiter at Tony's with a full tray of food!!

Ha! Love the opening post because we had the same thing where the sensory overload + too little sleep created interesting moments.

1) Leaving Hollywood Studios shortly after lunch with my 4yo DD screaming "you're the worst daddy ever!!!!" on repeat because she was just way too tired.

2) My 2yo DS refusing to follow any direction which resulted in him having the much maligned "leash backpack" and definitely causing a few tripping instances...

On days we had to leave early we just laughed it off and called it our "$15 dollar day" since the multiple day discount came to about that and brought the kids to the pool to just relax and start new the next day...

Should I mention the massive meltdown in Disney Springs that started in World of Disney because I was having them send his toy back to the resort so I wouldn't have to carry it around all day and ended in him running away and I had to chase after him and yell for someone to help me stop him? And then when I caught him he bit me and screamed and his father had to carry him back to the bus? (He was 8, so not so easy to carry, especially when he spends all his time kicking and biting and head butting.)

Or how about getting all the way to the front of the line at Pirates, only to have to go all the way back through the line because he decided that it was scary and there's no chicken exit?

Or how he refused to eat anywhere except at Electric Umbrella whenever we were at Epcot?

Or, my favorite, when he puked all over me on the monorail after having lunch at Chef Mickey's because he'd eaten far too much along with drinking two GIANT glasses of milk?

Seriously, though, it was our first family vacation and the boy has autism and I should have realized that it would be far too much in sensory overload (even in February), but my daughter (his twin) was desperate to go and we can't plan our lives around one kid and not ever consider the other, you know? The next time we go, I'm going to make sure we stay at a monorail resort (AKL was amazing, but it was too far to effectively deal with all of the back and forth between the parks and the resort we had to do because of all of the breaks we had to take) and go during a time when it won't be too cold to use the pool so we can have some real downtime. (I think the husband would prefer we don't go back, but by the end of the trip, the boy was fine and the girl cried when we had to leave because, despite everything, she said she had the best week of her life. So I'm kind of secretly planning another trip for 2018 for the twins' birthday and to celebrate them finishing elementary school. That long gives me plenty of time to save for a stay at the Poly. :D)

Last edited:
Our embarrassing moments seem to revolve around bathrooms. The first one is when my DS - then about 2-3 years old - discovered how terrifying the self-flushing toilets are. He screamed bloody murder, jumped off the toilet and barrel-rolled under the stall door with no pants on. He then proceeds to run for the door - still screaming. Thank goodness the line of ladies waiting was much scarier than the toilet, because he stopped dead in his tracks when he saw all of the hysterically laughing women which gave me the few seconds I needed to catch the little bugger. We still tease him about that 13 years later. :teeth:

My daughter - then about 8 - had just gotten a ring at Downtown Disney carved with her name on it. Well, we didn't realize how much her hands had swollen in the sun and how loose the ring would be later when she cooled off. She, my mother and I are in bathroom stalls next to each other when her piercing scream scares us to death. We were convinced that someone was trying to steal her or do something awful. My mom and I both race out of our stalls half dressed to find that she had dropped the ring in the toilet when she...um..finished. Knowing that the self-flushing toilets were going to kick in, my mom dives into the toilet and saves the ring. I was laughing so hard I couldn't stand up. May daughter is still crying and screaming and my mom stands up triumphantly with the ring in hand. (Much washing and disinfecting takes place...) :crazy2:

Yeah - we're quite the show to watch in the bathroom.... :rolleyes:

Lately when my son gets upset he starts saying "I want my mommy" in this pitiful voice. I'M. RIGHT. THERE. I'm just waiting for the day someone calls the cops thinking I've kidnapped this poor sweet little boy. So many observant parents at Disney - seems more likely to happen there than anywhere else. So if I get arrested in August, I'll be sure to post again about our most embarrassing Disney family moment. ;)

Lately when my son gets upset he starts saying "I want my mommy" in this pitiful voice. I'M. RIGHT. THERE. I'm just waiting for the day someone calls the cops thinking I've kidnapped this poor sweet little boy. So many observant parents at Disney - seems more likely to happen there than anywhere else. So if I get arrested in August, I'll be sure to post again about our most embarrassing Disney family moment. ;)
DD (5) does this thing when I'm trying to stop her from doing something, she goes limp to the ground and then yells "MOMMY YOU'RE HURTING ME!" My husband is putting aside bail money for when someone calls the police.

OMG my daughter did this for the longest time - my response was the same as yours, "I'm right here!!" I always worried a stranger wouldn't understand why a child would say this when I AM her mommy, and Disney would definitely be the worst place for that misunderstanding, lol. So funny.

The trip when my youngest was 3 was full of... moments. Some I'm still trying to forget, but others are funny (now). Older son (6 at the time) loved princesses, so we booked breakfast at Akershus. The 3 year old wasn't quite as excited. He took a picture with the first princess that came by, but all the subsequent princesses got was "I did this already!" Like he thought, "Who are these ladies interrupting my breakfast?!" The only character he liked that whole trip was Jake.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter