How have I never noticed this? Is it new? Price difference between 4 and 5 days is huge.

icc2515

DIS Veteran
So we have a 4 day trip planned for Oct 2023. I got a reservation from Costco like always. Budget intermediate for $204. So we thought maybe we will add a day on. I check the price for 5 days and it is $448. I figure that it must be the days of the week and we don't care about what days we go so I shifted the days. Same price. As a matter of fact if you pick any 4 day stretch and then check the price for any 5 day stretch in Oct or Nov, you will get the same increase. Now 6 days is $455 and 7 is $469. I have rented cars well over a hundred times, mostly in FL and never noticed this. Has it always been this way? Why do you think the rental companies decided 5 days is when we take you to the cleaners?

Some rental car agencies will price 1-4 days as a per day charge. Once you get to more than 4 days they price it per week. So basically 5, 6, or 7 days will be the same base price for the week. I'm guessing the small price dif between 5, 6, and 7 days is some daily tax they collect.

Some rental car agencies will price 1-4 days as a per day charge. Once you get to more than 4 days they price it per week. So basically 5, 6, or 7 days will be the same base price for the week. I'm guessing the small price dif between 5, 6, and 7 days is some daily tax they collect.
Yes, this sounds right - and something we've definitely seen. You cross a threshold from 'daily' charging to 'weekly'. I would also recommend comparing companies for the same time period - you might do better.

So I went to replicate what you're seeing and I did notice what you noticed.

I went further and went to Budget's website and from 4 to 5 days is an increase of $254 just for adding that additional day (going from randomly selected dates of October 6-10 to October 6-11), that pretty much is almost the same difference you're seeing on Costco's site. However for Budget 5 and 6 days are the same price and 7 days is minimal increase of $7 likely because you're now at the weekly rate.

So at least presently yeah 5 days for at least for MCO that's what it's looking like.

I think it becomes situational based on trends. The variances in pricing and number of days is different for example if I select my house.

Business travelers are unlikely to need a rental car for that long, that's the leisure travelers.

I'm traveling for work in August, and I need to rent a car for 5 days. I travel for work several times per year, and if I can't uber or taxi back and forth from the airport it's not at all unusual for me to rent a car for that long.

I have noticed what the OP noticed, I'm being charged a weekly fee for 4-5 days.

I'm traveling for work in August, and I need to rent a car for 5 days. I travel for work several times per year, and if I can't uber or taxi back and forth from the airport it's not at all unusual for me to rent a car for that long.

I have noticed what the OP noticed, I'm being charged a weekly fee for 4-5 days.
Yes...I'm sure there are business travelers who do (goes without saying)...my husband has as well a time or two. Although my husband travels a ton more than you do. He'll be gone 3 days this week, last year he was gone 5 days one time but split between two cities.

But many business travelers are shorter trips. In Orlando especially the leisure travelers are the most likely to need longer rentals given the destination.

In the case of my area the big price difference for Budget started when it went from 2 to 3 days. We are not a place where you'd come just to visit lol.

From the brief research I could find average domestic business is 3 days with international 5 days.

They always used to say that if you that if you were going to rent for 4 or 5 days you should get the weekly rate as it would be less expensive. Not true at MCO I guess.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter