• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How has DVC changed over the last 10 years?

mickey85

Earning My Ears
Aside from adding new resorts of course...

Many posters talk about Disney stripping perks or changing policies whenever they want to, but have there been any significant changes recently?

Thanks

In the 90's DVC members could get discounts on length of stay passes. In recent years when MYW passes arrived, that discount was eliminated and an AP or PAP discount was added.

It used to be a whole lot smaller.

here's a partial list:

valet parking used to be "free" (paid for in annual dues IIRC) but currently is not. (the biggest problem with this change IMO was that it was not announced - you were told you could valet park for free and came back the next day and there was a charge.)

OKW used to have "themed" peach-colored towels.

DVC members used to be unique in being "welcomed home" to their resort.

OTOH, when the dining plan started, i don't think DVC members had any access to it.

DVC members used to be able to waitlist anything at all...all willy-nilly. now you get 2 options.

DVC members used to book stays based on check-out date. now it's check-in date + up to 6 nights.

point reallocations: OKW studios used to be 7 pts/nt for weeknights in the cheapest season at the beginning...then to 8 pts/night for a decade or so. now the cheapest studio at OKW goes for 10 pts/nt.

and naturally, the distinction being made in march between resales and direct purchasers.

Banking procedures have changed. I liked it better the previous way of being able to bank a percentage at different times.

Aside from adding new resorts of course...

Many posters talk about Disney stripping perks or changing policies whenever they want to, but have there been any significant changes recently?

Thanks

One of the things to bear in mind is that there really isn't any universal agreement on the changes. When you see a poster (or posters) condemning a certain change, realize that there are also people who embraced the changes.

As others mentioned, there have been procedural changes to wait lists, booking dates and banking dates. Some like the old procedure...some like the new.

Points were reallocated, causing increased costs some days and decreases other days. Some members came out ahead...others did not.

Perks have changed but in my 8+ years of experience with DVC, I really don't think they are worse today than they were nearly a decade ago. The most noticeable change was removing the Length-of-stay park ticket discount and implementing an Annual Pass discount. Without belaboring the point, the LOS discount was of very modest value. Financially, the AP discount is much better for members although there are people who can't take advantage of it because of their vacation habits.

The list of dining discounts has always been relatively small. In the last 2-3 years (in my opinion) DVC has offered a lot of little ancillary perks to members...things like Broadway ticket discounts, Cirque discounts, Owner's Locker, D23 membership, etc.

It's still hit-or-miss as to whether one can take advantage of any of these perks but the list is longer than it was 5+ years ago, IMO.

Resort towels and some other in-room amenities may not be as good as they were years ago. But sofa beds, clock radios (iHome), TVs (flat panel), patio furniture, appliances, cookware and other amenities have noticeably improved.

...But sofa beds, ...have noticeably improved.

Some of the sofa beds have improved. The ones at OKW are not that good and are sit very hard when it is closed up. I'd prefer the old ones with the bar over the platform ones. The ones at BCV and BWV that flip from the back are comfortable for sleeping but still not so comfortable for sitting.

The biggest change is that its about 3x bigger. When we bought 11 years ago, the resorts were OKW, BWV and VWL. BCV was being built. HHI and VB were offsite. That meant that although there was competition at seven months for those choice BWV rooms at Food and Wine, there weren't SSR, BLT, VAK and GCV owners competing. On the other hand, we didn't have a BLT to book. Don't think "adding new resorts" is something minor - new resorts means more members and more supply - which has both good and bad.

Because supply has gone up and due to the economy, demand isn't what it was - both for people renting points and for resale. Resale rates have drastically dropped while rental rates have remained stagnant, even perhaps going down a bit. There are other factors in play - shorter life left on the older resorts for instance.

That "one" resort is always available to book--and sure enough thats what member services offers first.

Scott

$95 fee was added for booking non-DVC locations.
The exchange company was changed to RCI.
MS use to stay open late on Thursday nights and half day on Saturday, closed Sundays.
The Merry Mixer party requires park admission.

:earsboy: Bill

We've been members for 8 years and have seen lots of changes.

The Good:

DDP offered to DVC members

New resorts!!! (AKV, BLT, Aluani, Tree House Villas, GCV, and now GFV) We've had no trouble staying at any of the resorts that opened since we bought in, so that's been a big perk as it's added variety and options:good vibes - We have not seen any real changes in availability)

Since AKV - 1 Bedrooms now have the sleeper chair and can sleep 5 (or 4 without guests/kids sharing a bed) - that's a significant positive change IMHO)

The Bad:

Elimination of free valet parking.

Point reallocation made the "bargain" Sun-Thursday stays disappear.

There used to be a member party (like the Merry Member Mixer) during the summer - we always enjoyed it.

Changes Not Related to DVC Directly

Marketing (FREE DINING!!!!) really eliminated the very low crowd seasons and made table service dining almost impossible unless you plan way ahead. Ten years ago we made same-day and same-trip reservations to eat in Cinderella's Castle, O'Hana, Le Cellier.... I could not get the same reservation (for my 40th Birthday) the MORNING my 180 + 10 window opened because it was the last day of the late summer/early fall Free Dining promotion and had been booked solid a week before I could call.

I actually think there have been more positive changes to DVC than there have been to WDW as a whole. Hopefully the park expansions planned for the next few years will change that. :goodvibes

Parks, resorts, and downtown were not saturated with DVC kiosks.
Lots or most castmembers did not know what DVC was and if they did they warmley welcomed you home and made you feel special.
DVC marketing material was'nt plastered all over buses,billboards,tv ads, there was no synergy within the Disney company regarding DVC--such as membership giveaways on Americas Funniest Videos.

Scott

There have been a lot of perk changes in the 15 years we have been members. Some people actually had free park admissions through 1999! We missed that perk by a few months.:headache:

I'd have to say though, that in general, perks are better now than they used to be. As far as I'm concerned, the AP discount and the ability to buy the TIW card without an AP are the biggest perks yet. In reality, they could do away with all but the AP discount, and I'd be a happy camper as long as I can still have priority to book my home resort.:thumbsup2

There have been a lot of perk changes in the 15 years we have been members. Some people actually had free park admissions through 1999! We missed that perk by a few months.:headache:

I'd have to say though, that in general, perks are better now than they used to be. As far as I'm concerned, the AP discount and the ability to buy the TIW card without an AP are the biggest perks yet. In reality, they could do away with all but the AP discount, and I'd be a happy camper as long as I can still have priority to book my home resort.:thumbsup2

Wait, what? When did this happen? How do I go about buying a TIW card? I have wanted to do this for a long time. We don't have APs.

Wait, what? When did this happen? How do I go about buying a TIW card? I have wanted to do this for a long time. We don't have APs.
It was announced at the 2011 annual meetings, but no details or start date has been announced just yet.

Thanks for answering... Wow this would be great! Can TIW be used at CS restaurants or just TS?

We've used TIW at all of the counter service resaurants at AK, and in the food courts of the values. :thumbsup2

You can use TIW at CS at Saratoga Springs.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter