• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How Hard IS IT...

3happydancers

DIS Veteran
I have seen others post about how they home school their kids. How hard is it? I am not so sure I like how things are going for my daughter and she is entering HS in September. How do you even get started?

I have seen others post about how they home school their kids. How hard is it? I am not so sure I like how things are going for my daughter and she is entering HS in September. How do you even get started?

HS is alittle harder because you need to keep track of the classes and hours and activites. But it can be as hard as you want it to be or as easy as you want it to be.

A couple of factors you need to consider state regulations(I like HSLDA for that but others might disagree), what kind of curriculum(sp) you want to use(books/dvd), and what style will you be(classical/school). Is tthis something the whole family is on board with?

For my high schooler: I use Abeka for the core stuff. Than we are in a co-op for extra classes(think semester classes). For sports she does ballet, she wants to be a dancer. Comunity service projects: I chart(usually unit functions/some babysitting/church volunteering). This year we will also be doing some free online "college level" classes for enrichment to challenage and raise the bar or reinforce.

There is a homeschool thread. It is totally possible to homeschool.

I don't homeschool, so forgive my intrusion.

But I would think that the first question is this: are you academically qualified? I don't mean in terms of a teaching license, but will you be comfortable teaching your child high school Trigonomety and Precalculus and Chemistry and Physics and World History and all the rest?

If the answer is yes, then I think there are curriculums that can be bought. I'm sure you can check online to find out the nuts and bolts of how to do.I've taught a couple of kids (on LI too) who had been homeschooled in elementary school-- it's absolutely possible.

If your're not comfortable with the material, then perhaps there's a charter or private school that might be a better option than the school in which your daughter is currently enrolled? It might be worth looking into, and asking about scholarships.

Best wishes.

If you are seriously considering homescholling, you don't need to feel intimidated with knowing how to teach things such as complicated math and foreign languages. The programs available to you to use as curriculum are very extensive and effective in assisting your teaching. There is also online tutors that can work with your daughtor...and tutors that specifically assist homescholled children. You do not need to feel like you need a degree in every area to homeschol. Homeschooled children as a whole score higher on standardized tests and most homeschool parents are not professors. I would encourage you to find a homeschool forum and read:) Good luck!

Posted from Disney Forums Reader for Android

The requirements depend on the state where you live. Some states only require a certain number of days/hours per year with a basic core content of curriculum (most "canned" curriculi meet these standards), an attendance record, etc. Other states have stricter requirements.

As far as having to know each and every subject inside and out in order to teach it.... I respectfully disagree. At high school age, your child is fully capable of being handed a particular packet of information, doing the lessons, reading, and research, and being self motivated enough (and if she isn't, this can be a great lesson as well) to move ahead with learning the content of that packet. Because most lessons will include an introduction, the content, and a summary/test, you can learn right along with her. Do I remember my Physics II class from high school? No. But when the time comes, I will learn right along with my son, he will learn it with me, and on his own.

During a typical school day in a public school, if the child is there for 7 hours, approximately 1 hour is spent on administrative type stuff from the teachers---attendance, announcements, paper-handing-out, etc, times 5 or 6 teachers!! Another 30 minutes is spent getting from one place to another, at least! Actual instruction time is probably only 20-25 minutes in each class, and because of different learning styles of the students, what could be taught in half the time is stretched out so that everyone gets it. We are able to get through our lessons in a much shorter time period, and then there is time for my son to study what he is interested in---architecture, history, and engineering. We are able to gear his studies towards what he wants to do.

It's a very personal decision. I HS my son, but my daughter attends a public school---they have very different learning styles, my daughter does great in the traditional setting of auditory/sequential learning, she's an honor student and gets straight A's every year. My son, however, is more of a visual/spatial learner and would do terrible in a school setting, I am more able to teach him, according to his style, at home. A lot of soul searching, in my opinion, is needed prior to making such an important decision.

Good luck!

You need to find out your state's requirements for homeschooling. As others have said, you don't need to "know" everything - there are plenty of online programs out there. I have homeschooled DS for 6 years but DD goes to private school - they are very different kids. Personally I use abeka for core subjects. Find a yahoo homeschooling group in your area, read up and ask them questions. Good luck.

Just a follow up on my original post. Thanks to all of you who replied. It appears I have some of my own homework to do. I don't want to rush into anything and regret it. I will take everyones advise and start there. As for my DD, she has some reservations about the idea because she would miss the socialization. She said she really did not want to spend every day with just me.

I know I have to listen to what she says she needs. I, on the other hand, am concerned about the teaching or lack of. ONE example, the kids took the 8th grade math assessment test. DD came home and told me the test had trig questions which has not been taught to our 8th graders. I spoke to the principal who said she is aware of the situation. If she is aware of this, then why aren't our kids learning what they need to know? Now DD is preparing for the 8th grade math regents and is facing the same problem.

In any case, I wanted to thank you all for some great advise and a place to begin!

Wow, absolutely not the way I teach. You could throw me into any math course in the building in 10 minutes, and I could pick up where the teacher left off. All I would need is a piece of chalk and a board, and a kid to tell me what the problem was. I use my textbook for homework, not to teach me how to teach my kids. If that's how the teachers in your experiences have taught, I'm very sorry to hear it.

But I sense my point of view won't change any minds here. So, homeschooling issue aside:

This is a GREAT site for Regents prep: http://regentsprep.org/ I recommend it to my kids all the time. (The Catholic high school in which I teach doesn't do Regents, but it's great review for our final exams.)

(Your daughter is most likely taking the Algebra Regents; math A and B are pretty much gone.) But, for what it's worth, in NY there's still a month of school left. It's entirely possible that Trig is slated for that last month. Some other parts of the country are finishing school this week.... those 8th graders would obviously have already finished the entire syllabus.

I'm not really up on which standardized test is which (again, we don't do them. Personally I'm not a big fan of them or what they pretend to tell us.) But many compare your child, in terms of both score and percentile, to both the local and national norms. Most schools on LI are pretty good-- don't be suprised if your child does well nationally even without the trig questions.

(And, no I have no personal stake in this unless your daughter and my son attend the same public school. He didn't say much about the test; I got the typical t.)

If your daughter has any particular math questions, please feel free to have her PM them to me. I've taught every math course from Math 7 to Calculus.

But it can be as hard as you want it to be or as easy as you want it to be.

A couple of factors you need to consider state regulations

It is totally possible to homeschool.

yes.:thumbsup2 Like anything else, it's a choice. Learn your state regulations,and go from there. (google for local hs groups in your area,and start asking questions;))
As far as difficult subjects, there is plenty of access to great programs, online and IRL,which is pretty much what any teacher utilizes- so no worries academically, there are as many ways to educate a child as there are children.:teacher:(statistics back this up,no question,hs'ers do quite well in academic test situations,regardless of parents "qualifications" in a particular subject)
BTW, I always felt hs'ing was 'easier' than what some peers were doing with their school kids....since I had 1st hand knowledge of what the kids were learning/interested in,I didn't have to guess at someone else's curriculum....it just sort of streamlined our lives...... it's not for everyone, but it's very,very doable.:cheer2:
With a teen,socializing is VERY important. My kids have never gone to a school,and have HUGE social lives. But it can take a bit of research and effort to 'plug in' to your local community.
I suggest finding local groups,find more than one,and see if anything feels 'right' for your dd.
You have a long summer to consider your options...but a lot of advice is pretty local, so take it to your community!

I don't have much to add because the PPs have made all of the important points. I just wanted to comment on the socialization.

First of all, she can still see her usual friends outside of school hours, obviously. But during some school days there can be other opportunities too. Most areas have homeschool support groups and enrichment classes. My children are younger, but they attend enrichment classes with other kids every Friday during the school year plus field trips and fun activities throughout the year. They've made tons of friends. The high schoolers are even more active. We have high school sports teams, prom, field trips, their own youth group, plus drama and high school science classes that meet on other days besides Fridays. Look into what your area has to offer. Your daughter might be surprised. She won't have to spend every waking moment with you if you both don't want to.

I don't have much to add because the PPs have made all of the important points. I just wanted to comment on the socialization.

First of all, she can still see her usual friends outside of school hours, obviously. But during some school days there can be other opportunities too. Most areas have homeschool support groups and enrichment classes. My children are younger, but they attend enrichment classes with other kids every Friday during the school year plus field trips and fun activities throughout the year. They've made tons of friends. The high schoolers are even more active. We have high school sports teams, prom, field trips, their own youth group, plus drama and high school science classes that meet on other days besides Fridays. Look into what your area has to offer. Your daughter might be surprised. She won't have to spend every waking moment with you if you both don't want to.

:thumbsup2

Just a follow up on my original post. Thanks to all of you who replied. It appears I have some of my own homework to do. I don't want to rush into anything and regret it. I will take everyones advise and start there. As for my DD, she has some reservations about the idea because she would miss the socialization. She said she really did not want to spend every day with just me.

I know I have to listen to what she says she needs. I, on the other hand, am concerned about the teaching or lack of. ONE example, the kids took the 8th grade math assessment test. DD came home and told me the test had trig questions which has not been taught to our 8th graders. I spoke to the principal who said she is aware of the situation. If she is aware of this, then why aren't our kids learning what they need to know? Now DD is preparing for the 8th grade math regents and is facing the same problem.

In any case, I wanted to thank you all for some great advise and a place to begin!

Many assessment tests have questions that are ABOVE standard to see which students are advanced. The average 8th grader is not taking Trigonometry.

Many assessment tests have questions that are ABOVE standard to see which students are advanced. The average 8th grader is not taking Trigonometry.

If she's taking a NY Regents exam in June, it's probably Algebra I. The odds are that it will include very basic Trig.

To be honest, the topic could be taught very adequately in less than a week. With 4 weeks of school left, the fact that this solitary topic hasn't yet been covered isn't a reason for concern.

Homeschooling has been a great blessing to our family! My son has so much free time because he is not boxed into that school schedule! He has been able to actively explore so many of his interests. He has taken music lessons, been in multiple sports, pottery classes, field trips, social gatherings, he was even asked to be an extra for a local band's music video...right now is a great time to be a homeschool family. So many valid points have been made, I do not want to repeat too much except to say, YOU CAN DO THIS! There is a lot of support out there for HS families now. Depending on what route you go for curriculum there are messageboards, online forums, and support staff to help at any time. A friend's daughter is in high school and has been homeschooled from the beginning. She is enrolled in a HS homeschool program through a local college. She is taking lots of duel credit classes that will count toward her college transcript. When she actually begins college she will be considered a sophomore because she will have all her freshman classes! Also, in her case she reports to professors online, so Mom does not have to be the supreme authority.

Best Wishes on your journey! If you have more questions ask away!

As far as what this has to do with WDW...nothing, but these boards do not have to be dedicated just to WDW. We are Disney enthusiasts who chat about our lives. :goodvibes

Speaking as a person that was homeschooled, don't do it. Listen to your child. If you aren't happy with a school, find another one.

Speaking as a person that was homeschooled, don't do it. Listen to your child. If you aren't happy with a school, find another one.

If you don't mind sharing, what was your experience with HS? Why do you caution against it?

If you don't mind sharing, what was your experience with HS? Why do you caution against it?

I was home schooled until high school. Going from being home schooled into a public school in 9th grade was a huge shock to me. I would imagine it would be even worse going from high school to college. My freshman year in high school I had a 2.6 GPA. Once I was adjusted, the next three years it was 3.8 or above.

As a homeschooling mom I agree with the part "listen to your child". I have 1 that is homeschooled and 1 in private school and both kids are totally happy with their choices. Just don't generalize and say all homeschooling is wrong or bad.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter